Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43210 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2021, 01:06:36 PM »
info will be much more up to date if it's the shliach's own platform

-1. Website management is very poor for many Chabad Houses. A person contacting the shliach once a month to get updated info is more likely to be accurate than the shliach's own site.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2021, 01:09:19 PM »
I can really commiserate with these shluchim. I once got a phone call asking why my city doesn't have a minyan for Mincha at 3:29. I felt really embarrassed and inadequate. (Thankfully, Lakewood has since filled in that void and there is a minyan at that time.)
or your latest maariv is 9:45????

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/ezalmanov/status/1411808322727120896
so only if I don’t keep shabbos or yidishkeit I’m allowed to call?? Most local Chabad sites are not updated! I have a lot of friends shluchim all of them told me they have no problem when people call them. And most people who call and end up coming leave a nice amount.
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »
-1. Website management is very poor for many Chabad Houses. A person contacting the shliach once a month to get updated info is more likely to be accurate than the shliach's own site.
as someone who travels extensively in the US and works with quite a few shluchim, I find it to be strictly a personality concern. Also, those who have decided to capitalize on tourists (and rightfully so) are concerned with making sure I do is correct and up-to-date. Not all shluchim are interested or cut out for  the tourist scene even in heavy tourist areas.

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
Good luck being able to contact all shluchim once a month and getting a response,
Remember, this isn't the only thing they do :)
I would guess that you would hopefully have 50% engagement from shluchim that you would be targeting.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MGrossman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
@Dan maybe you can put together along with all travels/DDFs of their experiences with Chabad houses across the globe as to what people can maybe expect at each location from past experiences and after checking the wiki can then reach out to the shiluchim if their questions aren’t answered.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2021, 01:20:31 PM »
Good luck being able to contact all shluchim once a month and getting a response,
Remember, this isn't the only thing they do :)
I would guess that you would hopefully have 50% engagement from shluchim that you would be targeting.

Not every shliach needs to be contacted once a month. A campus shliach needs to be asked twice a year if anything changed. It's a 30 second email. Shluchim in tiny places with no minyanim need to be asked 3-4 times a year. Again, a 30 second email. I think you'd be surprised at the engagement level you'd see if it was done properly and respectfully.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »

Not every shliach needs to be contacted once a month. A campus shliach needs to be asked twice a year if anything changed. It's a 30 second email. Shluchim in tiny places with no minyanim need to be asked 3-4 times a year. Again, a 30 second email. I think you'd be surprised at the engagement level you'd see if it was done properly and respectfully.

Fair,
I don't think it's a matter of the time it takes to respond to the email, rather is dealing with it together with the tons of other emails that they get.
It's not a matter of respectfully, rather there has to be sufficient interest from the shliach to keep it up together with the many other things they do

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:24:37 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »

Well, I tried.
Feel free to like and chime in.

Kudos for getting the ball rolling! Really hope there will be more real discussion on this topic to make this actually happen.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2021, 01:27:14 PM »

Fair,
I don't think it's a matter of the time it takes to respond to the email, rather is dealing with it together with the tons of other emails that they get.
It's not a matter of respectfully, rather there has to be sufficient interest from the shliach to keep it up together with the many other things they do

I've had a fair deal of interaction with shluchim over the years. I have yet to meet more than a handful who won't answer a quick call or email, especially when they know who it's coming from.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »

Respectful question: Do you have a daily minyan? Do you know where I can get kosher food in the area?

Is there anything I can bring for you? I have x room in my suitcase.

Or even better, "Here's a bag of cholov Yisroel chocolate bars for your kids"

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2021, 01:31:36 PM »
I've had a fair deal of interaction with shluchim over the years. I have yet to meet more than a handful who won't answer a quick call or email, especially when they know who it's coming from.
True,
It's more the mass emails coming from something central that could be overwhelming

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »

Yup.
https://m.twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412099389502509063
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »

If likes weren't audited, I don't think I'd be able to hit that button enough times on this.

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »
If likes weren't audited, I don't think I'd be able to hit that button enough times on this.

This is something I always try to do as well. I'll ask - I'm coming from NY, let me know if you need anything.
If I have to pay for an extra suitcase, I'd consider that my donation (though it's never happened)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2021, 01:35:34 PM »
This is something I always try to do as well. I'll ask - I'm coming from NY, let me know if you need anything.
If I have to pay for an extra suitcase, I'd consider that my donation (though it's never happened)

Kol hakavod! I don't think people truly understand what this means to shluchim. Even if they don't need anything, just being asked is so meaningful.