Author Topic: LFR'S TRIP TO FRANCE BELGIUM AND THE AMSTERDAM JUNE 2021  (Read 7530 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: LFR'S TRIP TO FRANCE BELGIUM AND THE AMSTERDAM JUNE 2021
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 07:02:54 PM »
Price aside, how do those Belgian chocolates compare to Damyel?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Spoon

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 07:20:46 PM »
Was there any glatt meat available at the Paris restaurants you went to?

Pretty sure kavod has glatt

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 07:22:45 PM »
When I was there they had some glatt options. It is a great place.

Will have to check it out. Have you also been to Bassar?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »
Will have to check it out. Have you also been to Bassar?

Yes, Bassar is good but Le Bazar is the 'it' place, with a much more happening vibe. Tikkun Olam is similar, and Rodechenko is also great but tends to have less glatt
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »
Very well written TR and very “right” way to do this trip!

Two notes,
If you’re into beer, there’s a place in brugges that has like 200 beer or something forgot what it’s called (maybe @SuperFlyer knows)

2. In Antwerp, don’t go to huffys (that’s only for tourists). Rivi’s is really good food the best in Antwerp IMO (at least as of a few years ago). Al haesh is a good place to get kugel and chulent and walk by the diamond district.

(If you’re there for shabbos there’s also chulent at the mikva)

Also, besides for kleinblatt there are other Belgian chocolate that they sell in the grocery stores which I prefer and might also be a little cheaper
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:30:32 PM by tmendy226 »

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2021, 01:17:34 AM »
Very well written TR and very “right” way to do this trip!

Two notes,
If you’re into beer, there’s a place in brugges that has like 200 beer or something forgot what it’s called (maybe @SuperFlyer knows)

2. In Antwerp, don’t go to huffys (that’s only for tourists). Rivi’s is really good food the best in Antwerp IMO (at least as of a few years ago). Al haesh is a good place to get kugel and chulent and walk by the diamond district.

(If you’re there for shabbos there’s also chulent at the mikva)

Also, besides for kleinblatt there are other Belgian chocolate that they sell in the grocery stores which I prefer and might also be a little cheaper
Mostly correct.
In Antwerp there is also a places (stores) with several hundreds of beers. Maybe the fact that it's a bar, is unique.

Chocolate, read pralines, you want to choose the brand Hauser (Parve is somehow tastier, despite being a milchig fan)

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 03:50:48 PM »
Nice TR - thanks for sharing.

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 07:04:32 PM »
which meant loudly discussing me in yiddish
Welcome to Antwerp...😂😂😂

Offline LFR

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »
Welcome to Antwerp...😂😂😂

LOL

Bassar in Paris: Didn't go because we simply didn't have a chance but the guy who poured the non mevushal wine for us at L'Intte gave us a card for bassar and said he's the owner there. I went into Rodchenko as its in The Marais. It was midafternoon and nobody was there. The place has very good reviews and I'm confident it's good but it simply didn't appeal to me when I knew there were the Kavod and Bazar options. One day I'd like to try.

Damyel vs Belgian: Damyel is amazing in that its (virtually?) all pareve. The milkiness of the Belgian dairy ones is immediately evident. Damyel also has a pretty small selection whereas picking just from the kosher lists you have a lot in Belgium (and then we saw their stores all over The Netherlands too).

Tmendy: Beer in Brugges: Yeah there are a million options but all I was looking for was a single beer post-dinner and I always find these places that have countless quality options to be overwhelming. That's why I liked my hole in the wall place. One incredible option that can only be had there.

Antwerp: I went to Hoffy's knowing it was more touristy oriented and I'm happy I did. The person who gave me some Antwerp advice the weeks before I left told me that one of these other places was his favorite but one day on another trip.... This was on my backup of things to do there if I had time but alas didn't https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/st-annas-tunnel

SuperFlyer: Need to try Hauser. Thanks for the tip.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
LOL

Bassar in Paris: Didn't go because we simply didn't have a chance but the guy who poured the non mevushal wine for us at L'Intte gave us a card for bassar and said he's the owner there. I went into Rodchenko as its in The Marais. It was midafternoon and nobody was there. The place has very good reviews and I'm confident it's good but it simply didn't appeal to me when I knew there were the Kavod and Bazar options. One day I'd like to try.

Damyel vs Belgian: Damyel is amazing in that its (virtually?) all pareve. The milkiness of the Belgian dairy ones is immediately evident. Damyel also has a pretty small selection whereas picking just from the kosher lists you have a lot in Belgium (and then we saw their stores all over The Netherlands too).

Tmendy: Beer in Brugges: Yeah there are a million options but all I was looking for was a single beer post-dinner and I always find these places that have countless quality options to be overwhelming. That's why I liked my hole in the wall place. One incredible option that can only be had there.

Antwerp: I went to Hoffy's knowing it was more touristy oriented and I'm happy I did. The person who gave me some Antwerp advice the weeks before I left told me that one of these other places was his favorite but one day on another trip.... This was on my backup of things to do there if I had time but alas didn't https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/st-annas-tunnel

SuperFlyer: Need to try Hauser. Thanks for the tip.
Damyel is very good, but prohibitively expensive. And way too small boxes.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »
You definitely should have said something to those guys in shul. Would've been fun.

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2021, 04:03:01 AM »
Hauser chocolates are impoted to the US and is quite widely available in Brooklyn and other areas.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"