Author Topic: Converting drivers license in Israel  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Jack out of the box

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
Converting drivers license in Israel
« on: July 07, 2021, 06:01:06 AM »
I'm wondering how quickly someone with a student visa can convert a foreign license to an Israeli one.
General info here https://helpdesk.chaimvchessed.com/index.php?/selfhelp/view-article/drivers-license-converting-or-obtaining-a-first-time-license-in-israel/39. I just need to know the quickest it can be done.

Thanks

Offline a mirrer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Converting drivers license in Israel
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 06:05:49 AM »
I'm wondering how quickly someone with a student visa can convert a foreign license to an Israeli one.
General info here https://helpdesk.chaimvchessed.com/index.php?/selfhelp/view-article/drivers-license-converting-or-obtaining-a-first-time-license-in-israel/39. I just need to know the quickest it can be done.

Thanks
I did it in about 10 minutes went into misrad harishui on agripas with my new and old license to prove that I had it for 5 years and within 10 minutes received a temporary license and a shovar to pay for the 5 year license I went downstairs to the doar paid for the license and got in the mail 2 weeks later

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 07:01:15 AM »
I did it in about 10 minutes went into misrad harishui on agripas with my new and old license to prove that I had it for 5 years and within 10 minutes received a temporary license and a shovar to pay for the 5 year license I went downstairs to the doar paid for the license and got in the mail 2 weeks later
Thanks.
What about a student visa holder? Don't they first need to get a special ID number?

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 10:28:43 AM »
Funny story: An american moved to Israel and had a Class B CDL, when he went to charge over his license they didn't give him a licence to drive passengers. "An AMERICAN driving OUR kids?! No!"
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »
Funny story: An american moved to Israel and had a Class B CDL, when he went to charge over his license they didn't give him a licence to drive passengers. "An AMERICAN driving OUR kids?! No!"

Initially I thought: “Oh! The irony”, then I realized that only an Israeli would be properly used to
how other Israelis drive, to be able to react accordingly :D
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline a mirrer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
Thanks.
What about a student visa holder? Don't they first need to get a special ID number?
oh yes I forgot about that part, first you go to misrad harishui to get a fake teudat zehut number then to the glasses store to take a picture and eye exam and then what I wrote earlier. sorry for the forgetfulness.

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 03:50:28 PM »
If I don’t have my old license?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 03:52:40 AM »
After I had already converted my license years back, my friend converted his. He showed them his Pennsylvania Class C license (that's PA's basic license) and told them at the Misrad Harishui that he wants to convert it to an Israeli Class C (a truck license). They tested him on a truck and he walked out with a truck driver license. For years after that story I was regretting not having thought of that idea in order to convert my NY Class D (NY's basic) to an Israeli bus driver license. I find it kind of ridiculous that in the US I can drive 15 passengers or a medium truck (as long as no air brakes) and here the limit is like 9 passengers. With a bus driver license I could drive a large van and I might even have taken a job at some point driving a bus. Eventually I found out that Israel does not convert foreign bus driver licenses so at least the regrets are gone.