Author Topic: Hope this is right Board. Offer: Record yourself speaking for an hour $65  (Read 5972 times)

Offline michelinmacher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I've been a lurker on the main website, but am new to the forum. I wasn't sure how to message the mods, so I'm trying to post this in the safest board to make sure I'm not breaking rules.

Last week Thursday, someone helped me register for an offer for recording myself speak English for a little under an hour, and the $65 paypal just posted today.
Basically, it seems that this company wants to have recordings of different people pronouncing the words they show on the screen, and they made me sign an NDA that I won't tell anyone details about the recording. They only want people in the US.
So if anyone's interested, you can post a reply here or message me

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
I'm interested.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline michelinmacher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I messaged you. (After you get the money, please post here so others see it's working for new signups)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
I just got their script. it's all about your car's warranty and the fact that your SSN has been deactivated and that you need to call immediately (I'm joking of course)

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Red Headed League?

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
My rate per hr is more then $65 pass  ;)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
How are they using this? Are they training a text-to-speech engine?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline michelinmacher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
lol, maybe you have to read the text for people's expired warranties.
leitzanus aside, I guarantee you won't have to speak about any scamming things

I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so I can't give details, but it does have to do with speech software training

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
About time we get some Chassidish accented robots

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Last week Thursday, someone helped me register for an offer for recording myself speak English for a little under an hour,
Who is the "someone"?  Why did you need help to register?  Are you unfamiliar with computers?

Basically, it seems that this company wants to have recordings of different people pronouncing the words they show on the screen,

When companies want to make sure they're speaking to you on the phone, they used to ask for identifying information, like your birthdate, or SS#.  But since those are spoofable, some have started to record you speaking a particular phrase, so for example, Spirit might ask customers to say "Friends don't let friends fly Spirit."  The next time you call, they ask you to repeat that phrase, and can match it to the previous audio recording, which they take to mean that you are in fact the person  you say you are.

If one of the phrases you were asked to speak included the name of an actual company, or bank, or brokerage, the people who paid you $65 now have the Voice ID needed to clean out your account.

and they made me sign an NDA that I won't tell anyone details about the recording.
Legitimate researchers don't ask research subjects to sign an NDA.
They only want people in the US.
This makes sense.  That's where the money is.

Call me skeptical, but I wouldn't bite.

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Legitimate researchers don't ask research subjects to sign an NDA.
I'm not arguing with your assessment that his can be a scam, but I can think of a reason for an NDA.

I assume there is some sort of innovative method they use for farming the sounds they need to construct their data, and they don't want competitors to figure it out.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
I'm not arguing with your assessment that his can be a scam, but I can think of a reason for an NDA.

I assume there is some sort of innovative method they use for farming the sounds they need to construct their data, and they don't want competitors to figure it out.
You're saying you can imagine a rational explanation, and I agree.
I'm saying I can imagine a nefarious explanation, and that it's not worth $65 to find out.

Besides the NDA, it's unusual to get subjects by saying "PM me".  I would expect to see the name of the institution or company that's doing the research, and a link to a site explaining their research needs, and how to volunteer for this.  A legitimate researcher doesn't need to be secretive like this.

Also, why "Post here so others see it works"?  Is the OP getting paid for each person s/he gets to sign up?

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
This thing is dodgy af

Offline michelinmacher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I'm not trying to make every commenter happy, but if I don't reply anything to the shady/scam claims, you might take it as shtikah kehoda'ah.

No pressure at all to act on this offer; everyone has the right to be skeptical, or value their time more than the money offered.
This comment is just to state that I very strongly think this is not scam. (I checked the email address I received the NDA from, and it had a domain of a reputable company, and the DKIM passed on my gmail client.)

At the risk of saying too many frum phrases (skeptics may think I googled "traditional jewish phrases" to trap the unsuspecting), נהרא נהרא ופשטיה

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
I'm not trying to make every commenter happy, but if I don't reply anything to the shady/scam claims, you might take it as shtikah kehoda'ah.

No pressure at all to act on this offer; everyone has the right to be skeptical, or value their time more than the money offered.
This comment is just to state that I very strongly think this is not scam. (I checked the email address I received the NDA from, and it had a domain of a reputable company, and the DKIM passed on my gmail client.)

At the risk of saying too many frum phrases (skeptics may think I googled "traditional jewish phrases" to trap the unsuspecting), נהרא נהרא ופשטיה
What’s your stake in this?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline biobook

• View Profile

There are several questions here.

Are you frum?

It’s true that use of Hebrew/Yiddish/Aramaic make you appear to be frum, just as use of “DKIM” makes you appear to be computer-savvy, but familiarity with the vocabulary isn’t sufficient.  However, there’s no real need to answer this question, since DDF members include non-frum Jews and non-Jews, so one doesn’t need frumkeit credentials to post here. 

And while those living in a frum neighborhood are used to trusting another frum person, most of us know stories of frum people who act unscrupulously, as well as unscrupulous people who masquerade as frum so as to scam us.  So frumness isn’t relevant.

I admit it is fascinating to consider how difficult it would be for someone to pass as frum on DDF.  We recently saw a family of Christian missionaries who were able to pass as frum for several years IRL.  Would that be easier or harder to do online?  Is there a frumkeit Turing test?  Curious, but not relevant to the current issue, so enough of that.

If this is a scam, are you an unwitting victim, or are you the actual perpetrator?

Yesterday, I was initially concerned with the former.  That is, you seemed to be a computer novice, needing help to register for an offer, and so I was concerned that you yourself might have been conned in some way. Even now, I wonder whether you're naive to assume that an email from a reputable company's domain is safe.  Some companies do evil things, including those that say they don't.  And some email addresses are spoofed. But now I’ve alerted you to the possibility, and you’re not concerned, so that’s fine.  For everyone else, though, it doesn’t matter whether you’re posting a scam knowingly or unknowingly, but just whether or not it is a scam.

So is it a scam? If so, what kind of scam is it?

It’s not obvious.  Could be, as I mentioned yesterday, trying to get a recording of someone’s Voice ID to hack their financial accounts.  There was a scam last year where voice recordings of a boss at work were hacked and played to employees, telling them to send large amounts of money.  Could be the voice records are distractions, and some other questions or other online activity is the real target of the scammer. 

I’m not convinced that it is a scam, but I know that voice recordings are unique to an individual.  In this sense, someone asking for multiple recordings of my voice is like someone asking to take multiple photos of me, from every angle, with every detail, for an hour.  Why, I would want to know.  What will you do with these? 

If I can’t decide whether it is a scam or not, should I participate?

I’m a low-risk type, so my answer is no.  Others make their own decisions.   

ETA: And apologies, I was focused on what seemed to be an urgent issue, but I should have begun with, "Welcome to DDF!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:20:33 PM by biobook »

Offline unicorn_cactus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Just wanted to mention that just yesterday Citibank was using voice recognition to identify me as the account holder ehen I called. I knew this kind of technology was becoming more and more common to access accounts but this was the first time I saw it used in real life.

I am a pretty big risk taker but something about this doesn't sit right with me.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Why can't all the info be posted?

Why only by PM?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I think this has run its course. Thread will be deleted shortly.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I think this has run its course. Thread will be deleted shortly.
Hey hey I'm interested in understanding the scam.