Author Topic: Hope this is right Board. Offer: Record yourself speaking for an hour $65  (Read 5938 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
I think this has run its course. Thread will be deleted shortly.
Can we archive biobook's words of wisdom? Maybe just lock the thread?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Hey hey I'm interested in understanding the scam.
I just got their script. it's all about your car's warranty and the fact that your SSN has been deactivated and that you need to call immediately (I'm joking of course)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
No fair. Funs just getting started

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
I think this has run its course. Thread will be deleted shortly.

This is like warning the Palestinians that their building is gonna be bombed
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Quick! Please click on my referral link to buy yourself something new in honor of Tisha B'Av

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Please hold off on deleting (will edit post).

EDIT: Post has been edited to include this line.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:09:22 PM by Randomex »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
I think it may be time to buy another present for Dan

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Can we archive biobook's words of wisdom? Maybe just lock the thread?
I'm routinely deleting myself, so don't mind that others delete me too.  Also curious to hear what Randomex has discovered.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Here we go. (Don't get too excited.)

Besides the NDA, it's unusual to get subjects by saying "PM me".  I would expect to see the name of the institution or company that's doing the research,
and a link to a site explaining their research needs, and how to volunteer for this.  A legitimate researcher doesn't need to be secretive like this.

True. Presumably, OP is not part of the company.

Also, why "Post here so others see it works"?  Is the OP getting paid for each person s/he gets to sign up?

That sounds right.

I was not asked, nor did I agree, to keep anything in confidence. so I feel free to post this.
OP sent me a link to a page reading as follows:

Productive Playhouse - Wiki Names Audio Collection Project Application

Participants will record politicians' names (sourced from Wikipedia), and a few other words to form a full sentence. For example, "Bai Juyi was a poet in Chinese history." The majority of names may be unfamiliar to the average English speaker, and that's okay! The point of this project is to try your best. The sentences will be short, no more than 10 words, and participants will record a total of approximately 200 sentences.

Applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
• 18+ years of age
• Reside in the US
• US English accent
• Comfortable with signing a participant contract and NDA with Productive Playhouse

The following are device requirements for this project:
• Android smartphone or Computer (iOS devices not permitted)
• Android devices are preferred and will receive priority when reaching out to applicants

Payment for this project is $55 via PayPal within 3 business days of successful completion and verification of deliverables.

[button: Start survey]

(OP's message included the detail that a prompt return of the NDA is rewarded with an additional $10.)

The survey read as follows:
Q.1
Contact email address *
[field:]Email

Q.2
First/Last Name *

A full name is needed for payment purposes.
[field:]First Name
[field:]Last Name

Q.3
Which age group do you fall into? *
[multiple choice:]
    18-25
    26-34
    35-49
    50+

Q.4
Gender *
    Male
    Female
    Non-binary

Q.5
PayPal Email Address *

Please include your PayPal email address for payment. Unfortunately, we cannot pay out for this via any other method.
[field:]Email

Q.6
Do you currently reside in the US? *
    Yes
    No

Q.7
Do you have an Android smartphone? *

An Android smartphone is the preferred device for completing this project. You have a higher chance of being selected for the project if you can complete it using an Android smartphone.
    Yes
    No

Q.8
If you do not have an Android smartphone, which of the following could you use to complete the project?

Please note that iOS devices are incompatible with the software needed to conduct this study.
    Windows PC
    macOS
    Other:

Q.9
Please enter the model of the device you intend to use to complete the project *

Examples include Google Pixel 3, Samsung Galaxy S10, Dell Inspiron 15 3000, MacBook Air, etc.
[blank field]

Q.10
Please read and indicate that you acknowledge the following: *

I understand and acknowledge that upon verification from project manager that ALL study deliverables have been verified and accepted, I am to be paid $55 via PayPal within 72 hours.
[single option:]
    I acknowledge

Q.11
Please read and indicate that you acknowledge the following: *

I understand and acknowledge that if my application is accepted, I will need to sign a participant contract and NDA before I am able to participate in the project.
[single option:]
    I acknowledge

Q.12
Accent Verification *

Please record yourself (using a voice memo app or external recording software) speaking the following paragraph. Then, upload the audio file here:

"The hero is a witch from Kansas who has a particular interest in breakfast. The nemesis is a wizard who uses too many plastic bags. The hero gets the upper hand and lives out life in a lush castle."
[upload button]

Q.13
Where did you hear about this project? *
[blank field]

[button to submit]

The post-survey page read:
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey! If your responses meet the criteria and slots are available,
a project manager will reach out to you with confirmation and further instructions within 1-2 weeks.

You may direct any questions you may have to janel.benisch@productiveplayhouse.com.

So, who are Productive Playhouse? They have a website.
From https://productiveplayhouse.com/services/creative-services/ :
Productive Playhouse is a full service production company founded by award-winning filmmakers Tamara Stern and Harry Ralston and advised by
leading professionals in all areas of child development. We bring twenty-five years of expert writing, directing, producing skill to our productions.

Our staff includes a diverse group of feature film, comedy television, and children’s educational writers and directors, along with two
of the industry’s top children’s songwriters, bringing together a team adept at fun, engaging and visually dynamic storytelling.
Creative services offered include:

Educational and entertainment series development, writing, directing and producing.
    Children’s songwriting and music videos.
    Curriculum implementation.
From https://productiveplayhouse.com/services/language-services/ :
^Productive Playhouse has a staff of Project Managers and trained transcribers in countries all over the world,  Our team of transcribers, speech pathologists linguists and translators offers transcription, field data gathering, linguistic, morphological and phonological analysis, high-level translation services, and expertise in childrens’ speech.  We service more that 200 languages with precise transcription and other services.

A cached version of a page from their website shows that Janel Benisch (remember, "janel.benisch") is part of their staff:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hxLto4qeF4EJ:https://productiveplayhouse.com/sandbox/about/team/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-d
(Hmmm. Don't know if that link will work outside of Firefox...)

Googling some text from the first page led me to Reddit posts about this as a money-making opportunity,
and some of those posts were from the company itself: https://www.reddit.com/user/ProductivePlayhouse/
They've done this several times, with increasing compensation, and have also posted job openings at their company.
Here are some relevant-looking posts:
From https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/comments/m3tl8o/us_english_voice_data_collection_40_for_1_hour_of/gqt8ady :
Hello! Thank you for asking. This is a client requirement. They have specified that only Android smartphones are allowed for this particular project,
but we frequently have studies like this where different types of devices are required/allowed.
From https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/comments/m3tl8o/us_english_voice_data_collection_40_for_1_hour_of/gqteh3l/ :
Hello, thank you for asking! We ask for full name for invoicing and income tracking purposes only. If somebody does multiple projects
with us in a calendar year and makes $600+ we need to send out tax forms to that individual for the year.

If accepted into the study, you will be assigned a random user ID. Our client will not know any information about you whatsoever outside of the following
demographics: gender, age range, accent origin. Participants are also asked to sign a contract/NDA before being able to participate which goes over this information as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/comments/m3tl8o/us_english_voice_data_collection_40_for_1_hour_of/gqra1x2/
u/Beermoney_Mods [Moderator]:
We have confirmed that this user is part of Product Playhouse team, and their website was created back in 2008. This user has been posting in various subreddits
for the past year and a half. There doesn't seem to be any complaints, and two users confirmed they have completed the tasks and been paid.

While we can never be 100% sure of the legitimacy of a task, we're not seeing any red flags here.

Draw your own conclusions. If your filter blocks Reddit, I can post the link to the signup page.

OP's message to me included "In the 'Where did you hear about this project?', please put: [OP's first name and email]."
You can contact OP for that info if you decide you want to do this and credit him with telling you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:05:30 PM by Randomex »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Thanks @Randomex Can anyone please explain (before the thread gets deleted) how they use these recordings?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
Your conclusion is that it's not legit? It looks legit enough to me.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Bh i made it in on time
["-"]

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Thanks @Randomex Can anyone please explain (before the thread gets deleted) how they use these recordings?
Doesn't sound as suspicious now as originally posted.  The company is openly advertising this position on reddit, and is not hiding their name.  Perhaps the OP could have posted the same ad that the company does, or a link to that ad, and simply added "I'd appreciate if you PM me before applying, so that I can get the referral bonus." Would have seemed less suspicious that way.

Still not clear exactly what they'll do with this.  They're doing projects for different clients, so they themselves may not know how the client will use the recordings.  They themselves have been creating videos and reading programs for children, and now they're doing audio recordings of adults reading Chinese names.  For some client. 

Maybe to train Chinese people to understand our speech in the future, after China invades and takes over America? 

Clearly my imagination has run its course.  Over and out.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
Doesn't sound as suspicious now as originally posted.  The company is openly advertising this position on reddit, and is not hiding their name.  Perhaps the OP could have posted the same ad that the company does, or a link to that ad, and simply added "I'd appreciate if you PM me before applying, so that I can get the referral bonus." Would have seemed less suspicious that way.

Still not clear exactly what they'll do with this.  They're doing projects for different clients, so they themselves may not know how the client will use the recordings.  They themselves have been creating videos and reading programs for children, and now they're doing audio recordings of adults reading Chinese names.  For some client. 

Maybe to train Chinese people to understand our speech in the future, after China invades and takes over America

Clearly my imagination has run its course.  Over and out.
You're definitely qualified to work for the CIA.. Perhaps on investigating the source of Covid-19 and China's role and intent with it. You seem to have a whole lot of prefect credentials precisely for that task. :D

Offline biobook

• View Profile
You're definitely qualified to work for the CIA.. Perhaps on investigating the source of Covid-19 and China's role and intent with it. You seem to have a whole lot of prefect credentials precisely for that task. :D
Shhh.  Please.  Agents that are outed can lose their jobs.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Now that the thread seems a bit more legit than it did earlier, the questions is do we delete it for violating the referral rule :P
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
Now that the thread seems a bit more legit than it did earlier, the questions is do we delete it for violating the referral rule
Isn't there a Sooper seekrit board where all the mods talk about these things?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Now that the thread seems a bit more legit than it did earlier, the questions is do we delete it for violating the referral rule :P
Al Capone it

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
They've done this several times, with increasing compensation, and have also posted job openings at their company.

(I forgot to mention that they've done this for some non-US accents as well.)

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Here we go. (Don't get too excited.)

True. Presumably, OP is not part of the company.

That sounds right.

I was not asked, nor did I agree, to keep anything in confidence. so I feel free to post this.
OP sent me a link to a page reading as follows:

(OP's message included the detail that a prompt return of the NDA is rewarded with an additional $10.)

The survey read as follows:
The post-survey page read:
So, who are Productive Playhouse? They have a website.
A cached version of a page from their website shows that Janel Benisch (remember, "janel.benisch") is part of their staff:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hxLto4qeF4EJ:https://productiveplayhouse.com/sandbox/about/team/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-d
(Hmmm. Don't know if that link will work outside of Firefox...)

Googling some text from the first page led me to Reddit posts about this as a money-making opportunity,
and some of those posts were from the company itself: https://www.reddit.com/user/ProductivePlayhouse/
Here are some relevant-looking posts:
Draw your own conclusions. If your filter blocks Reddit, I can post the link to the signup page.

OP's message to me included "In the 'Where did you hear about this project?', please put: [OP's first name and email]."
You can contact OP for that info if you decide you want to do this and credit him with telling you.
Nice homework! It looks like it's something you've enjoyed growing up..
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501