Author Topic: Brokerage that has fractional shares for All Stocks/funds  (Read 668 times)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Brokerage that has fractional shares for All Stocks/funds
« on: July 15, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
I started using robinhood when it was the first no fee trading service. Now that free trading is widely available, I no longer think that Robinhood should be someone's first choice for basic investments.

However, even when other brokerages advertise fractional shares, they're often only available in very specific situations.

I'm looking for a reliable brokerage, preferably the bigger and older ones, that allows fractional trades for ETFs. Ie, I want to open an account, deposit $250, and buy a part of SPY or basic go-to ETF.

What are my options aside for Robinhood?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline jes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brokerage that has fractional shares for All Stocks/funds
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 01:43:32 PM »
I think Fidelity has it all

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »
I started using robinhood when it was the first no fee trading service. Now that free trading is widely available, I no longer think that Robinhood should be someone's first choice for basic investments.

However, even when other brokerages advertise fractional shares, they're often only available in very specific situations.

I'm looking for a reliable brokerage, preferably the bigger and older ones, that allows fractional trades for ETFs. Ie, I want to open an account, deposit $250, and buy a part of SPY or basic go-to ETF.

most large brokerages have funds that track similar indexes. EG vanguard has VOO which tracks s&p
ETA: VOO expense ratio is significantly lower than SPY

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »

I've found nerdwallet useful in the past, for this kind of question, since they review and compare different available options.  These articles may be helpful.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/fractional-shares
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/how-to-invest-in-etf-exchange-traded-fund

And if you can't follow the links, the two biggies they mention are

Fidelity
Any stock or ETF listed on the National Market System (NYSE, Nasdaq, etc.) — more than 7,000 in total

Charles Schwab
Stocks included in the S&P 500 index
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:55:04 PM by biobook »