Author Topic: Qantas and El Al  (Read 607 times)

Offline Shem Tov

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Qantas and El Al
« on: July 16, 2021, 08:25:45 AM »
I had something strange happen.  Maybe someone can explain and help for the future.  Back in April I booked a flight on El Al using qantas points.  Flight was supposed to be at the end of July.  As Israel has yet to open its borders I called to cancel.  When I tried to cancel they told me that although they see the booking no ticket was issued so there is nothing to cancel or refund.  When I asked them why they said that notes seem to show that the agreement with El Al has changed and one can no longer book El Al with Qantas using reward points.  My question is as follows.  Is that accurate? I can not book EL Al using my points? And, had I not called and just gone to the airport I would have been left stranded.  Is that avoidable? Lastly, can I feel secure that what they told me is the case and that they won't now deduct points to cover the flight on the day of the scheduled trip?  TY

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Qantas and El Al
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 10:08:21 PM »
I had something strange happen.  Maybe someone can explain and help for the future.  Back in April I booked a flight on El Al using qantas points.  Flight was supposed to be at the end of July.  As Israel has yet to open its borders I called to cancel.  When I tried to cancel they told me that although they see the booking no ticket was issued so there is nothing to cancel or refund.  When I asked them why they said that notes seem to show that the agreement with El Al has changed and one can no longer book El Al with Qantas using reward points.  My question is as follows.  Is that accurate? I can not book EL Al using my points? And, had I not called and just gone to the airport I would have been left stranded.  Is that avoidable? Lastly, can I feel secure that what they told me is the case and that they won't now deduct points to cover the flight on the day of the scheduled trip?  TY

They never deducted the points at the time of booking? Did you get a confirmation and/or Qantas locator for the booking?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Shem Tov

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Qantas and El Al
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »
Points were not deducted.  I thought that I received an email confirming booking but can't find it now. The booking is listed on their site and I got an emailed referencing the fact that I was flying.