Author Topic: Mdv's Los Cabos trip report - The Cape Panoramic suite  (Read 9704 times)

Offline mdv

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
Re: Mdv's Los Cabos trip report - The Cape Panoramic suite
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 05:11:58 PM »
I may  just take you up on that sometime   ;D
Sorry I don't have any snarky line for this space

Offline mdv

• View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
HOTEL
The cape has 2 buildings. All the rooms have ocean views but the regular rooms and Thompson suites in the main building only have ocean views while the villas in the other building also have views of el arco on the right.
The panoramic suites which are in the main building are the corner rooms so they have views of both too .
If you are bringing your own food the best option is really the villas as they have full kitchens but we decided we'd rather rough it a bit to get the pano suite

Base rooms are 25k (cash rates now are $900+ all in)
1 bedroom suites are 40k (standard suite)
And villas are 50k (premium suite)
And then there are the pano suites and penthouse suites which aren't bookable directly with points
Some suites and the ground floor villas come with plunge pools .
So I used 25k to get the base room then a suite cert to bump me up to a Thompson suite and then i figured I'd call the property and ask to pay for an upgrade to the pano suite - the price difference between the Thompson and the pano suites were about $250 .
 Unfortunately it wasn't that easy - apparently the management instructs them to not allow any upgrades in advance if you are using points . I was told that the only option is to wait until i check in and if it was available at that time I  would be able to upgrade.
But as we know it never hurts to HUCA and finally I got someone who was willing to do it for me although it could be it was only because it was the day before checkin. 
Keep in mind there are only 5 pano suites in total

So in total it was 25k +suite cert + $335 ($250 +tax and services) which is about $7-800 value for a room with a published rate of $1700+ per night

More pictures coming and some dronage  :D

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
Also interested in this
It was possible to book premium suites including the penthouse for 50k a night until some blog posted about it and 24 hrs later it was removed

Dan also got it on the action https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=122911

Offline mdv

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 01:59:28 AM »
Food
We used a polar bear suitcase to bring some frozen (pre-grilled) cowboy steaks deli cheese milk bread pancake mix & pizza dough. We also brought wraps pasta and beef jerky and a bunch of snacks.
We brought a sous vide to warm up the steaks without overcooking them and a betty crocker to make pizza  pancakes and pasta.
In terms of what Mexico allows in the country I didn't really get a clear picture of what the official position is.  The government website seems to have 3 categories - permitted forbidden and restricted but local sources told me they only take away raw meat and chicken and then there are stories where they took everything away so ymmv.
One thing that is definitely true is that unlike the cancun airport where they are looking for people bringing food - in cabo they are not looking for it and it's just a random selection who gets checked.  There is a button that everyone has to push and if its red you get checked but if green you are good to go. Chasdei hashem ours was green!

We had arranged our airport rides and activities through a local jewish guy . The driver was waiting for us when we landed and sent us a selfie so we can spot him in the arrival hall. For some odd reason we were approached by a few random people waiting there who all wanted to know what company we were using ....we weren't using any company but not sure what that was about.

SJD is located in middle of some beautiful mountains and desert landscape making for a beautiful landing & takeoff

Offline mdv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 02:02:57 AM »

Offline mdv

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 10:37:09 PM »