Author Topic: Help - Health Coverage for Cancer Patient Traveling to Israel  (Read 1249 times)

Online gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
As the title suggests, a relative of mine who is unfortunately very sick with cancer will be traveling to Israel at the end of August to attend a grandchild's bar mitzvah. Jumped through some hoops to make the trip happen - had to find direct business class availability on dates that worked with the chemo treatments, etc. In other words, it's a really big deal that this worked out (so far).

The couple hold Israeli citizenship too and are vaccinated so quarantine shouldnt be much of an issue. The problem is that it's imperative that he has health insurance that would cover if anything ch"v goes wrong while he is there. Paid for the cash portion of the flights using sapphire but I don't think that will help much. He called Allianz but it seems that you have to book the insurance within 14 days of booking the flight (flight was booked about a month ago). Anyhow, it's unclear what the story is with preexisting conditions such as late stage cancer.

If flights are available I'd cancel and rebook but they aren't (at any reasonable rate). Does anyone have any suggestions or experience as to what would make sense for him? It would stink if he needs to cancel the trip due to lack of adequate health insurance given everything going on in his life.

Would appreciate any insight... TIA

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Health Coverage for Cancer Patient Traveling to Israel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 11:28:41 PM »
As the title suggests, a relative of mine who is unfortunately very sick with cancer will be traveling to Israel at the end of August to attend a grandchild's bar mitzvah. Jumped through some hoops to make the trip happen - had to find direct business class availability on dates that worked with the chemo treatments, etc. In other words, it's a really big deal that this worked out (so far).

The couple hold Israeli citizenship too and are vaccinated so quarantine shouldnt be much of an issue. The problem is that it's imperative that he has health insurance that would cover if anything ch"v goes wrong while he is there. Paid for the cash portion of the flights using sapphire but I don't think that will help much. He called Allianz but it seems that you have to book the insurance within 14 days of booking the flight (flight was booked about a month ago). Anyhow, it's unclear what the story is with preexisting conditions such as late stage cancer.

If flights are available I'd cancel and rebook but they aren't (at any reasonable rate). Does anyone have any suggestions or experience as to what would make sense for him? It would stink if he needs to cancel the trip due to lack of adequate health insurance given everything going on in his life.

Would appreciate any insight... TIA
Did you try a local travel agent? I don't have experience with this. Bit to the best of my knowledge:
A) travel insurance doesn't have to be purchased at time of booking
B) any travel insurance for example Travel Guard should be covered up to the amount they offer. I had to use insurance in Israel after my wife suddenly had an emergency and needed surgery. Bill was $14k and travel insurance paid in full.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:33:20 PM »
there may be exclusions for pre-existing conditions if travelers insurance isn't purchased within a certain number of days after purchasing the ticket (or any other insured trip costs for that matter)

whichever insurance plans you are looking at I'd recommend calling them to confirm what's covered.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:40:22 PM by etech0 »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:39:34 PM »
If the permanent place of residence is US and there's a primary insurance plan covering in the US there might be something available IINM.

Also needs to be under the age of 95.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:43:26 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:14:42 AM »
It’s not my business and doesn’t need to be posted on a public forum, but rhetorically, which medical risk are they concerned about? COVID? Cancer? Complications due the the patients medical/immunity state? Something else?

In any case wishing they feel well and be healthy, Refuah Sheleima and a safe and enjoyable trip.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 01:44:57 AM »
If the insurance is only required in order to satisfy Israeli entry requirements, it might be simpler to get an exemption. Speak to Amudim.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:30:34 AM »
If the permanent place of residence is US and there's a primary insurance plan covering in the US there might be something available IINM.

Also needs to be under the age of 95.
thanks! Yes he is a US citizen as well and resides in the states. Well under 95.
Did you try a local travel agent? I don't have experience with this. Bit to the best of my knowledge:
B) any travel insurance for example Travel Guard should be covered up to the amount they offer. I had to use insurance in Israel after my wife suddenly had an emergency and needed surgery. Bill was $14k and travel insurance paid in full.
It’s not my business and doesn’t need to be posted on a public forum, but rhetorically, which medical risk are they concerned about? COVID? Cancer? Complications due the the patients medical/immunity state? Something else?

In any case wishing they feel well and be healthy, Refuah Sheleima and a safe and enjoyable trip.
mostly cancer or.immunity related issues which be"h won't be an issue. But understandably that's something that must be dealt with
the main issue is that we've had a hard time getting full clarification re preexisting conditions

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:28:00 AM »
Most policies cover pre existing conditions if booked within 21 days of booking travel. Compare on squaremouth.com and then call the company for clarification if necessary.