Author Topic: BLACKLISTED by Amex 6 years ago after financial review.  (Read 2553 times)

Offline aaron123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
BLACKLISTED by Amex 6 years ago after financial review.
« on: March 19, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »
Hello everybody.
I would like to share an experience I had with American Express. This post should also serve as a warning to be careful with how you conduct spends.
About 7 years ago as a bachur who did not know any better, I was pretty active in some of the 'spend' methods that were out there. It worked nice for some time, but it all came to an end with a Business gold card and a financial review.

Basically, at that time the popular 'spend' method was with the Target Red Prepaid card from Amex. I had just hit the spend requirement when suddenly it all went dead. I got the dreader FR call from Amex. My source of income was a summer job that had no paper trail and I was unable to provide any documentation. They let me keep the points but all my cards got canceled and that was that.

I soon after got married and moved to Israel for a few years. I recently moved back B'H with a family. I decided to apply for a new Amex card. I went to the Amex site and checked to see if I had any targeted offers. I saw that I had a gold card offer for 70k MR points and a 5k spend in 6 months. B'H at this point the spend would not be too difficult the normal route. Without thinking too much into it I applied, expecting to get the instant approval status. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

I got a letter in the mail a week later stating that I was "deemed ineligible for approval do to to having participating in activities such as misuse, abuse or gaming with an Amex product".

I then tried reaching out to corporate and sending them an email explaining what had happened and that I am now at a different status in life, but to no avail. They said that they will not change their position on the denial. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for me at this point. (I already tried to become an authorized user on someone else's account)

Thanks

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: BLACKLISTED by Amex 6 years ago after financial review.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
Hello everybody.
I would like to share an experience I had with American Express. This post should also serve as a warning to be careful with how you conduct spends.
About 7 years ago as a bachur who did not know any better, I was pretty active in some of the 'spend' methods that were out there. It worked nice for some time, but it all came to an end with a Business gold card and a financial review.

Basically, at that time the popular 'spend' method was with the Target Red Prepaid card from Amex. I had just hit the spend requirement when suddenly it all went dead. I got the dreader FR call from Amex. My source of income was a summer job that had no paper trail and I was unable to provide any documentation. They let me keep the points but all my cards got canceled and that was that.

I soon after got married and moved to Israel for a few years. I recently moved back B'H with a family. I decided to apply for a new Amex card. I went to the Amex site and checked to see if I had any targeted offers. I saw that I had a gold card offer for 70k MR points and a 5k spend in 6 months. B'H at this point the spend would not be too difficult the normal route. Without thinking too much into it I applied, expecting to get the instant approval status. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

I got a letter in the mail a week later stating that I was "deemed ineligible for approval do to to having participating in activities such as misuse, abuse or gaming with an Amex product".

I then tried reaching out to corporate and sending them an email explaining what had happened and that I am now at a different status in life, but to no avail. They said that they will not change their position on the denial. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for me at this point. (I already tried to become an authorized user on someone else's account)

Thanks
They didn't let you become an authorized user on someone else's account?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 06:50:15 PM »

I think he’s saying he tried getting himself added as an AU as a solution to getting himself off the blacklist, and it didn’t help.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:16:52 PM »
For SUB's the general consensus is that "lifetime" to amex means 7 years, so you might have better luck if you try again in 2022...Amex blacklist might work differently/last longer...but doesn't hurt to try

Online oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 04:01:17 PM »
I think he’s saying he tried getting himself added as an AU as a solution to getting himself off the blacklist, and it didn’t help.
AFAIK once your on Amex blacklist they don't let you be an AU either. I tried adding my sister a few years ago as an AU to my account, She defaulted with Amex a few years before that and they sent me a letter that she can't be an AU. When I tried on a business card with the DOB and SS# she was able to get the card (At that time all personal cards needed DOB and SS.