Author Topic: BDE Jackie Mason  (Read 6286 times)

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
BDE Jackie Mason
« on: July 24, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jackie-mason-rabbi-turned-contentious-comedian-dies-at-93-1234988070/
How old was he, in this article it says he was born in 1928, but in other articles it says he was born in 1931 and was 93 years old

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: BDE Jackie Mason
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 10:24:47 PM »
How old was he, in this article it says he was born in 1928, but in other articles it says he was born in 1931 and was 93 years old

They either didn't do the math or think it's 2024...

ETA: You're not the only one who's confused:
https://www.facebook.com/madhotcomicsplus/posts/1468764530143705
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/148829962675555370/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:28:44 PM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »

Either hes 93 or 90
What I don't get is how the fake news writes born in 1931 and was 93 years old. Do they not know any math? It wasn't only 1 publication, I saw it on a few different websites
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:48:31 PM by neveryou »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 10:51:30 PM »
Either hes 93 or 90
What I don't get is how the fake news writes born in 1931 and was 93 years old. Do they not know any math? It wasn't only 1 publication, I saw it on a few different websites

Speaks to the quality of "news" posts nowadays. These are articles are compiled by human drones, you often see errors related to this, like a paragraph being repeated with minor differences.

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 08:00:38 AM »
I can’t stop thinking about Jackie Mason. There is one thing that keeps replaying in my head, and it’s really frightening.

I know it’s not proper to say anything negative about a recently departed person, but I don’t mean this as criticism to him, rather as a lesson to us.

Jackie Mason had so much potential. Would you not be willing to give just about anything to get semichah from Rav Moshe Feinstein? He clearly was a brilliant Torah scholar, and he could’ve shaped the frum world had he dedicated his life to loftier ambitions.

Picture the scene yesterday, when his soul ascended and he stood before the heavenly Court. Imagine the crushing realization of the contrast between his potential and his chosen life.

Don’t we all have such regrets-waiting-to-happen, albeit hopefully on a smaller scale? Are we also going to wait until it’s too late before we fix the things we will regret?

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
I can’t stop thinking about Jackie Mason. There is one thing that keeps replaying in my head, and it’s really frightening.

I know it’s not proper to say anything negative about a recently departed person, but I don’t mean this as criticism to him, rather as a lesson to us.

Jackie Mason had so much potential. Would you not be willing to give just about anything to get semichah from Rav Moshe Feinstein? He clearly was a brilliant Torah scholar, and he could’ve shaped the frum world had he dedicated his life to loftier ambitions.

Picture the scene yesterday, when his soul ascended and he stood before the heavenly Court. Imagine the crushing realization of the contrast between his potential and his chosen life.

Don’t we all have such regrets-waiting-to-happen, albeit hopefully on a smaller scale? Are we also going to wait until it’s too late before we fix the things we will regret?
I had to check the Wikipedia to know what you're talking about
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Mason
As a teenager, Mason worked as a busboy at resorts in the Borscht Belt in New York's Catskill Mountains.[3] He recalled: "Twenty minutes, at the Pearl Lake Hotel. I broke all the dishes. They made me a lifeguard. 'But I can't swim', I told the owner. 'Don't tell the guests', he says.

["-"]

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 09:00:34 AM »

I had similar thoughts last night
But regarding potential, I’d say the scariest story that I ever heard, is when the Netziv put out his Sefer, he said that he was almost a shoemaker. He said he could just imagine if he would’ve been a shoemaker, going up to shamayim after 120 and they would ask him, where are your Seforim that you were able to write and he wouldn’t know what they were talking about.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 10:42:43 AM »

What do we know about his mission in life? Hopefully his neshama fulfilled its purpose.

Online koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »
What do we know about his mission in life? Hopefully his neshama fulfilled its purpose.
+100
There is a Gemara about badchonim being bnei olam haba

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 10:51:57 AM »

Just to clarify, I totally agree with the hypothesis of how great it would be had he used his talents/efforts for Torah causes.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »

You cant judge the times he was living in. Its not fair.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
At this point, let's let him get to gan eden easily, and we'll take lessons later.

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
At this point, let's let him get to gan eden easily, and we'll take lessons later.
You think people taking lessons is going to effect how easily he gets there?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 12:41:55 PM »
You think people taking lessons is going to effect how easily he gets there?

You think the judgement that those lessons are based on is doing the neshama any favors? His neshama was zoche to be a musmach of Rav Moshe. Learn some Torah in his honor and live your life the best way you know how.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
You cant judge the times he was living in. Its not fair.

FTFY

[It is not our place to judge, and we have no idea how judgment works (יש קונה עולמו בשעה אחת). Each one of us can only strive to do the best with what we were handed, and to see positive in others].
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »
You think the judgement that those lessons are based on is doing the neshama any favors? His neshama was zoche to be a musmach of Rav Moshe. Learn some Torah in his honor and live your life the best way you know how.
There is no way he was a musmach of Reb Moshe either. Maybe someone in his family was, but not him.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 01:52:24 PM »

His bar mitzvah was in תש"א so he was born in 28 and was 93 years old
Look at perek  ל"ז

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
His bar mitzvah was in תש"א so he was born in 28 and was 93 years old
Look at perek  ל"ז
Nice work, @neveryou !  Where is this from?

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »