Author Topic: BDE Jackie Mason  (Read 6282 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: BDE Jackie Mason
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2021, 08:56:29 PM »
Also, what we say about someone after their passing does have an affect on their soul and its din. This is part of why Chabad minhag is not to give hespedim. We are also concise in our language on the matzeivah.

By looking at some מצבות, I could have easily been fooled that the minhag is different.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
By looking at some מצבות, I could have easily been fooled that the minhag is different.

Create a new thread, and make the icon Pinto's matzeivah

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
+100
There is a Gemara about badchonim being bnei olam haba
youre kidding right? This is no badchen that the femurs meant
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2021, 09:00:23 PM »
Create a new thread, and make the icon Pinto's matzeivah

That one indeed follows the stated minhag. Maybe as a result of not having children.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »
At this point, let's let him get to gan eden easily, and we'll take lessons later.
if even only one yid , does even only halfways תשובה because he realizes that one day we will all stand where he stands now. It’ll be a huge favor for his נשמה

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2021, 09:04:16 PM »
Discussion should be in other threads.
and what should be in this tread? הספדים?

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2021, 09:23:29 PM »
and what should be in this tread? הספדים?
When he posted this, the thread was part of the BDE/RIP Thread. It has since been split.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2021, 09:31:52 PM »
Most here are from a certain religion 😂.
...and few are from a religion not attacking him.  :P
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2021, 09:48:10 PM »
As the OP of this discussion, I did a lot of thinking about it. Unfortunately, most of that thinking took place after I posted my initial thoughts.

I think the crux of my initial post is something we all should think about constantly. That is, we will all have to face a judgement one day, and we must realize that we have tremendous potential, and it will be a tragedy if we fall short.

However, using a specific person as an example of what not to do was not proper IMO, and not necessary to drive the point home. Yes, I had the thought, and it was a powerful thought that moved me, but I don't think it was proper for me to have posted it the way I did. And although I justified it by saying that it can even be a zechus for him (which I think is true), that should've been counterbalanced by this:
what we say about someone after their passing does have an affect on their soul and its din

I would like to post here a segment of a PM I got from a fellow DDFer, to whom I'm grateful for having taken the time to explain this in such a clear and eloquent manner.

My opinion is that learning lessons from perceived negative happenings or attributes in someone else's life is a very dangerous thing. It requires a judgement of that person's life and/or choices, and people were not put on this world to judge. This is my opinion of judging anyone, let alone one who is no longer in this world. I think there are enough opportunities for life lessons and inspiration without belittling others, even if that wasn't the intention (and I definitely don't believe it was in this case).

Because I pretend to be a Lubavitcher, and chassidim like to tell stories, here's a story:

As a small child, Reb Zalman Aharon (the “Raza”), the older brother of Rebbe Sholom DovBer of Lubavitch (the “Rashab”), often complained that he was noticeably shorter than his younger brother.

One day, the Raza sneaked up behind his brother and pushed him lightly into a small ditch. As the Rashab stood up in surprise, the Raza seized the moment and pointed out that now he was taller.

Rabbi Shmuel of Lubavitch, the father of the two boys, observed the entire episode. The Rebbe asked for a chair, ordered the Raza to stand on it, and asked him, “Tell me, who’s taller now?”

The Raza answered excitedly that yet again he was taller.

“Aha!” said Rabbi Shmuel. “There you are! To be bigger than your friend, there is no need to pull him down. Simply elevate yourself!”
People take many different things out of this story. I'm not quoting it to accuse you ch'v of pushing down anyone else to raise yourself up. The lesson I take from that story is that personal growth doesn't rely on other's failures or shortcomings. If I need to be taller, I need to raise myself up. And how do I know I need to be taller? By seeing that everyone around me is taller than I am. Focusing on what others have achieved for inspiration, rather that what I think they could (or should) have achieved, keeps my focus positive and forward-thinking, rather than judging other people's (perceived) failures. I wouldn't want others using choices I've made in my life as examples of "failure," so I like to try to hold myself to that same standard.

Lastly, and to accentuate his point, the same concept has been portrayed for so long by a positive anecdote, which can inspire in an uplifting way, and has been posted almost immediately after my OP:
Regarding potential, I’d say the scariest story that I ever heard, is when the Netziv put out his Sefer, he said that he was almost a shoemaker. He said he could just imagine if he would’ve been a shoemaker, going up to shamayim after 120 and they would ask him, where are your Seforim that you were able to write and he wouldn’t know what they were talking about.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2021, 10:20:51 PM »

Beautifully put, thank you and your private messager for taking the time.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2021, 10:21:29 PM »

Also, what we say about someone after their passing does have an affect on their soul and its din. This is part of why Chabad minhag is not to give hespedim. We are also concise in our language on the matzeivah.

To add, Chabad looks at ways to make it easiest for the neshama by aveilus in general, and not ch"v the contrary.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2021, 10:21:45 PM »
Beautifully put, thank you and your private messager for taking the time.
+1

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2021, 10:58:09 PM »
3 guesses to who that private messenger is (and no it's obviously not me)...

Btw, אחרי מות, קדושים, is not a הלצה, it's a Halacha paskened in S"A.

Offline lazertek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2021, 11:19:49 PM »
It's basically the same point but There is a a famous quote from the kedushas tzion of bobov Hy"d that to get higher u don't have to bury another  u can get up on a chair
As the OP of this discussion, I did a lot of thinking about it. Unfortunately, most of that thinking took place after I posted my initial thoughts.

I think the crux of my initial post is something we all should think about constantly. That is, we will all have to face a judgement one day, and we must realize that we have tremendous potential, and it will be a tragedy if we fall short.

However, using a specific person as an example of what not to do was not proper IMO, and not necessary to drive the point home. Yes, I had the thought, and it was a powerful thought that moved me, but I don't think it was proper for me to have posted it the way I did. And although I justified it by saying that it can even be a zechus for him (which I think is true), that should've been counterbalanced by this:
I would like to post here a segment of a PM I got from a fellow DDFer, to whom I'm grateful for having taken the time to explain this in such a clear and eloquent manner.
People take many different things out of this story. I'm not quoting it to accuse you ch'v of pushing down anyone else to raise yourself up. The lesson I take from that story is that personal growth doesn't rely on other's failures or shortcomings. If I need to be taller, I need to raise myself up. And how do I know I need to be taller? By seeing that everyone around me is taller than I am. Focusing on what others have achieved for inspiration, rather that what I think they could (or should) have achieved, keeps my focus positive and forward-thinking, rather than judging other people's (perceived) failures. I wouldn't want others using choices I've made in my life as examples of "failure," so I like to try to hold myself to that same standard.

Lastly, and to accentuate his point, the same concept has been portrayed for so long by a positive anecdote, which can inspire in an uplifting way, and has been posted almost immediately after my OP:
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2021, 11:21:46 PM »
Who’s that ?
A yid who says kadish for the מתי מדבר

Come to 770 and you will see

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2021, 12:35:58 AM »
3 guesses to who that private messenger is (and no it's obviously not me)...
There's only 1 (active) member that has no problem popping out and wasting 400 eloquent words on a PM.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2021, 08:06:44 AM »
There's only 1 (active) member that has no problem popping out and wasting 400 eloquent words on a PM.

Patently false.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline monkey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2021, 08:10:46 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Humbling indeed

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2021, 08:14:27 AM »
Patently false.

I think to prove it, we should get as many (active) users as possible to send @Euclid 400 word DMs

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »