Author Topic: best way to get bumped  (Read 11141 times)

Offline rover771

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
best way to get bumped
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
what is the best way to be able to get bumped? is it best to come first or come last? where are you supposed to make the request by check in or by the gate? is it harder if you are traveling with luggage? the last time i tried the gate agent told me that since i had been already assigned a seat on the first leg of my journey i was not first priorty to get bumped, she was going to bump some of those who were
not given a seat yet.
please share your experiences with the different air lines and how you did it.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: best way to get bumped
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
Here's what I do.

-I always check if my flight is oversold at flyaow.com/classamex.htm or seatcounter.com

-If it is oversold I research all of the other routing options to find alternate flights on that airline and on other airlines, including alternate airports.  A flight with many first class seats open is always a good alternate option.

-If it is oversold I make sure to get to the gate early (check-in agents can tell you if there is an oversell situation, but they don't have volunteer lists) and be first in line to speak to the GA and volunteer my seat.  I always make it clear though that they should not give up the seat that I am holding until they are positive that there is an oversell situation.

-Some GA's give people without checked luggage priority for being bumped.

-Some GA's bump according to elite status rank, others bump to the friendliest volunteer...it's totally in the GA's hands so play nice  ;D

-Access to an airport lounge with free drinks/snacks/wi-fi/newspapers/showers, etc. make a long wait a whole lot more fun that waiting in a terminal!

-When being bumped I usually get a voucher for a free ticket or for an amount close to what I spent on the RT ticket, some airport food vouchers, and a confirmed first class seat on the next flight. 

-If the next possible flight is the next day it would take a much larger voucher and a hotel room to make me want to get bumped.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:49:01 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lala

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
Very interesting. How do you manage to get a first class seat when bumped? I have never been that lucky (always coach ticket). Also does anyone have experience being bumped off an award ticket? Is there such a possibility?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »
Very interesting. How do you manage to get a first class seat when bumped? I have never been that lucky (always coach ticket). Also does anyone have experience being bumped off an award ticket? Is there such a possibility?
Everything is negotiable when it comes to being bumped.
And yes, you can be bumped off an award ticket.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

levi

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:50:46 AM »
more than once its happened to me that they offer to bump me and then they ask me to wait around just in case a seat does open at the very end and the first 2 times I had bad luck and a seat opened so what I did the next time was when they asked me to wait until the end of the boarding process I told them for wtv reason that I cant wait around so then they issued me the vaucher right then

Offline bigez747

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:19:28 AM »
I once got bumped from a flight that was severely delayed. They put me on a later flight that actually left earlier than the delayed flight. I missed my connection so I was rebooked in First for the second leg, with a tight connection. When I got to Dallas, I ran to the gate in time to hear them asking for volunteers. Received second bump of the day with overnight hotel accomodation and meal vouchers. Very productive day. (If my memory serves me correctly that was on a mileage ticket)

Offline moe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 07:20:04 AM »
Here's what I do.

-I always check if my flight is oversold at flyaow.com/classamex.htm or seatcounter.com

-If it is oversold I research all of the other routing options to find alternate flights on that airline and on other airlines, including alternate airports.  A flight with many first class seats open is always a good alternate option.

-If it is oversold I make sure to get to the gate early (check-in agents can tell you if there is an oversell situation, but they don't have volunteer lists) and be first in line to speak to the GA and volunteer my seat.  I always make it clear though that they should not give up the seat that I am holding until they are positive that there is an oversell situation.

-Some GA's bump according to elite status rank, others bump to the friendliest volunteer...it's totally in the GA's hands so play nice  ;D

-Access to an airport lounge with free drinks/snacks/wi-fi/newspapers/showers, etc. make a long wait a whole lot more fun that waiting in a terminal!

-When being bumped I usually get a voucher for a free ticket or for an amount close to what I spent on the RT ticket, some airport food vouchers, and a confirmed first class seat on the next flight. 

-If the next possible flight is the next day it would take a much larger voucher and a hotel room to make me want to get bumped.

Dan, it seems very complicated to use those websites to check for availability, it never shows me "0" by all classes. i tried other sample "packed" dates on elal and it doesn't seem to show up that it's full. does that mean that it's never full these days? Also, on air france, how do i know which letter is called business class?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 07:44:27 AM »
on el al they used to call me the day of the flight and asked me if i want to get bumped

Offline yossik

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
Here's what I do.

i tried out these sites, and can't quite figure out how to use them.  Dan, if you have a chance, do you mind elaborating on your technique?

Online est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »
does anyone know if you can get bumped on elal if you do early check in?

Offline Charles The Govenor

• View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
Why not???? They usually bump at the gate once passengers aRe alredy ticketed.

Offline moe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »
Why not???? They usually bump at the gate once passengers aRe alredy ticketed.
i don't think that's true. You have to request them spicificaly before you check in, and yes, it's BETTER if you arive early, because then you'll be first on the list!!!

Online est

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »
you can also call up before

Offline Charles The Govenor

• View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 02:23:05 AM »
Are you all talking about specificly elal??

Online est

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 05:25:07 AM »
for the reference - you cannot get bumped with early check in!! I did it and was called with an offer to be bumped - but couldnt take it!!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
for the reference - you cannot get bumped with early check in!! I did it and was called with an offer to be bumped - but couldnt take it!!!
Do you mean online checkin? Because I have been bumped many times after checking in online.

Offline moe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »
Do you mean online checkin? Because I have been bumped many times after checking in online.
El al has a service to check in your baggage from your house, i think that's what ER meant.

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
How to get bumped
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
NYT article: http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/travel/10pracbump.html?hpw

You can also share your own bumping strategies here!

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »
I've been bumped at the gate in US, in Israel they make you wait to see if they'll need you.

Offline miles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
Here's what I do.

i know travel agents can see all flights how many seats left in all classes does anyone know how they check