Author Topic: NYC To Require Proof Of vaccination For Indoor Activities  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: NYC To Require Proof Of vaccination For Indoor Activities
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 12:16:51 PM »
On the contrary, we've always given the government power to regulate its citizens in the name of public health.  In the early years of New York/ New Amsterdam, regulations aimed to protect against fire and water pollution.  In the 1800s, when it became clear that certain diseases could be transmitted from one person to another, additional restrictions were put in place.  We did vote for these, in effect, when we voted with our feet to live close to other people.

I'm fully aware that the government has a boatload of regulations that affect my life every single day in the name of public health. I think it is clear that I'm referring to sweeping changes to the way we live life every day. These would usually require a legislative process for which politicians would vote based on the positions they campaigned on (of course, this is not always how it ends up either), and not just be allowed to enact unilaterally. Is covid a unique crisis that by definition necessitates such unilateral actions to protect us? Absolutely. Do I believe the government needs to be empowered to make sweeping changes for public health? Absolutely. I don't think it is easy to draw a line, but I believe it does have to be drawn.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
Or is it the rabbanim who target frum Jews, warning them to avoid most "restaurants, gyms and performances"?
These places are all full of jews & there’s nobody going around enforcing anything.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:19 PM »
I'm fully aware that the government has a boatload of regulations that affect my life every single day in the name of public health. I think it is clear that I'm referring to sweeping changes to the way we live life every day. These would usually require a legislative process for which politicians would vote based on the positions they campaigned on (of course, this is not always how it ends up either), and not just be allowed to enact unilaterally. Is covid a unique crisis that by definition necessitates such unilateral actions to protect us? Absolutely. Do I believe the government needs to be empowered to make sweeping changes for public health? Absolutely. I don't think it is easy to draw a line, but I believe it does have to be drawn.
Should at least require a vote, not one man with an emergency pen doing whatever he wants indefinitely.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 12:36:22 PM »
Vaccine mandates are infinitely less burdening than lockdowns.

It will be ironic when Florida is the first to reimpose a lockdown, their current Covid hospitalizations (11,500) are already at an all time peak and rapidly growing. Elective procedures are already being postponed, though it's not as bad as Louisiana where even regular emergencies are getting substandard care.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline TimT

• View Profile

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
These places are all full of jews & there’s nobody going around enforcing anything.
Sorry, that was just my sense of humor. 
Most restaurants in NYC are nonkosher, so not full of frum Jews.
Most gyms are co-ed, so not full of frum Jews.
Most performances (theater, movies, concerts) are not full of frum Jews.

The press release says enforcement will begin in September.  Not clear if there will be penalty for unvaccinated person who enters these places, and/or for the business owner who allows them to enter.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
Sorry, that was just my sense of humor. 
Most restaurants in NYC are nonkosher, so not full of frum Jews.
Most gyms are co-ed, so not full of frum Jews.
Most performances (theater, movies, concerts) are not full of frum Jews..
My bad. I assumed you were referring to kosher restaurants & jewish concerts, which are full of jews.

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 12:58:24 PM »
lets be real the goals a POWER grab, there no way to stop virus spreading, period.
They will NEVER end this willingly (think about all the Alpha Gamma Delta etc.)
The goal is to stop deaths and hospitalizations.
https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1422535871236952066
The good news is that people will resist this.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 01:12:28 PM »
lets be real the goals a POWER grab, there no way to stop virus spreading, period.
They will NEVER end this willingly (think about all the Alpha Gamma Delta etc.)https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1422535871236952066
The good news is that people will resist this.

That treat is fake news.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »
My bad. I assumed you were referring to kosher restaurants & jewish concerts, which are full of jews.
I realized that.  :)
The question was asked whether Jews would be targeted in Blasio's announcement that "New York City will require proof of vaccination for people participating in indoor activities, including at restaurants, gyms and performances".
Last summer, when Jews in Brooklyn were the only ones holding humongous funerals, they were targeted.  But when it comes to the indoor activities listed here - restaurants, gyms and performances - frum Jews are a very small percentage of those visiting those indoor places, and so are unlikely to be specifically targeted.

On the other hand, there are obvious indoor places where Jews will be gathering in September, so we need to wait for the details of how it pertains to religious activities.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 01:41:30 PM »
Last summer, when Jews in Brooklyn were the only ones holding humongous funerals, they were targeted.
1) There were other humongous events taking place around town which they allowed to take place, & even encouraged.
2) I watched them targeting very small outdoor funerals with only 10-15 immediate family members fully masked & standing far apart.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 01:44:29 PM »
I realized that.  :)
The question was asked whether Jews would be targeted in Blasio's announcement that "New York City will require proof of vaccination for people participating in indoor activities, including at restaurants, gyms and performances".
Last summer, when Jews in Brooklyn were the only ones holding humongous funerals, they were targeted.  But when it comes to the indoor activities listed here - restaurants, gyms and performances - frum Jews are a very small percentage of those visiting those indoor places, and so are unlikely to be specifically targeted.

On the other hand, there are obvious indoor places where Jews will be gathering in September, so we need to wait for the details of how it pertains to religious activities.

Sorry, but this is not at all what happened. Let's put aside the funerals for a second. Tishrei time, when Cuomo enacted his micro cluster strategy, zip codes were "targetted". Where I live, in Crown Heights, 11213 was a yellow zone. Stores on Kingston Avenue and Albany Avenue were inspected EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Usually multiple times a day. In the same zip code, stores on Schenectady Avenue and Utica Avenue were not inspected at all. Can you guess what the difference between those avenues is? Google maps street view can give you an idea. In the red zones, people managed to snap pictures of the lists inspectors had of the institutions and businesses they were tasked to check on. Guess if any non-Jewish churches, schools, or stores were on the lists.

Then, after Tishrei when case counts started rising in other areas outside frum communities that surpassed the triggers Cuomo had established for the micro-cluster strategy, guess what happened to the micro-cluster strategy? Poof!

Now, if we want to go back to the funerals, sure, maybe no other communities were doing *funerals* outdoors with thousands of people, but I seem to recall other outdoor political events which not only were not condemned from a covid standpoint by politicians, they were *encouraged* by doctors and health officials who needn't have said a word about them.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
It is a travesty that not a single reporter (outside Jewish publications like Tablet) even said a word about the blatant targetting of Jews. Not one question was asked of Cuomo at his Emmy nominated press conferences. Not a single reporter bothered to do the leg work of comparing inspections of Jewish grocery stores to non-Jewish grocery stores across the road from each other. That's why it is possible for a Jew in Florida to think the Jew from New York is crying wolf because they have no idea how blatantly the Jews were targeted.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »

It is a travesty that not a single reporter (outside Jewish publications like Tablet) even said a word about the blatant targetting of Jews. Not one question was asked of Cuomo at his Emmy nominated press conferences. Not a single reporter bothered to do the leg work of comparing inspections of Jewish grocery stores to non-Jewish grocery stores across the road from each other. That's why it is possible for a Jew in Florida WHO CONSUMES FAKE NEWS MAINSTREAM MEDIA to think the Jew from New York is crying wolf because they have no idea how blatantly the Jews were targeted.
FTFY

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »
Not one question was asked of Cuomo at his Emmy nominated press conferences.
After today’s news I’m starting to understand why. :-\

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 02:33:14 PM »
Stores on Kingston Avenue and Albany Avenue were inspected EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Usually multiple times a day. In the same zip code, stores on Schenectady Avenue and Utica Avenue were not inspected at all. Can you guess what the difference between those avenues is?
Don't have to guess, I know just where they are.  1-2 blocks to the west and east of Bunch O Bagels.

I wasn't in Brooklyn last summer and not disagreeing with your evaluation of what went on there and didn't mean to reopen this sensitive topic. 

FTFY   WHO CONSUMES FAKE NEWS MAINSTREAM MEDIA
For news in science and medicine, I consider the New York Times to have the most reliable reporters.  For news in the frum world, I rely on DDF.  I know it's not mainstream media, but would you call it fake news?

Can I take back the last few posts?  This is all I meant to say:

Will the sherriffs and health inspectors target the Jews for this rule and not the goyim like last summer doing the riots?
My prediction is no, but we'll see...   :P

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 02:37:32 PM »
For news in science and medicine, I consider the New York Times to have the most reliable reporters. 
My condolences :)

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/new-york-times-quashed-covid-origins-inquiry/

Offline 4yourinfo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 03:45:23 PM »
The goal is to stop deaths and hospitalizations.
So we are back to flatten the curve?

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2021, 03:46:08 PM »
I agree this is a dangerous road but it isn't exactly a vaccine mandate.

Offline UKinNYS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile