Author Topic: 2021 Child Tax Credit Payments  (Read 668 times)

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
2021 Child Tax Credit Payments
« on: July 30, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »
So they have begun sending out monthly checks for 50% of the expected child tax credit to be received upon filing taxes. Having the cash advance is great but I don't want to get hit with taxes or even a significant decrease in my return that I usually receive upon filing. I know the credit went up so I am trying to calc how much will my credit decrease when filing if I continue to receive the checks monthly or is it better to hold off the payments and receive in a lump sum when filing?

What is everybody else doing?

Apologies if this was discussed already, a quick search did not ID a discussion.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: 2021 Child Tax Credit Payments
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
I am sure it has been discussed. Ask here and they will find the thread for you.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12138.0
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Child Tax Credit Payments
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 05:38:37 PM »
So they have begun sending out monthly checks for 50% of the expected child tax credit to be received upon filing taxes. Having the cash advance is great but I don't want to get hit with taxes or even a significant decrease in my return that I usually receive upon filing. I know the credit went up so I am trying to calc how much will my credit decrease when filing if I continue to receive the checks monthly or is it better to hold off the payments and receive in a lump sum when filing?

What is everybody else doing?

Apologies if this was discussed already, a quick search did not ID a discussion.
if
A) you have more than 3 kids
B) you're making under the 150K threshold (so won't get it clawed back)

I believe the remaining half you'll get at return time will be equal or greater to whatever CTC credit you got last year.

that said, if you're asking general attitudes: If you didn't really suffer income reduction now, put all stimulus and covid related handouts into a separate account (so you don't 'get used to' them) and put it away