Author Topic: Ron DeSantis Master Thread  (Read 69632 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: #DeathSantis
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »
They get hammered for their restrictions, because a large percentage of DDFers are inconvenienced by them.

Are you effing kidding me? We were just inconvenienced by the restrictions he made only on Jews and removed when others had larger spikes? Or the restrictions he removed for political demonstrations? Or the hubris of declaring himself the victor over covid with the second wave still going on?

And the nursing homes being early is not an excuse. Plenty of other states realized how problematic that was and reversed that rule the day or day after it was put in place.

And this is without getting into how he started off badly because he refused to use the info from federal agencies and used his own health dept. On DDF we were speaking about person to person transmission and asymptomatic transmission before NY accepted that as fact. He also didn't use other countries as examples, and when we were discussing Italy here, NY hospitals were issuing protocols that it would be no worse than the flu.

And lest you think he got hit first, California, Florida, Washington and others got hit earlier and instituted very different rules to NY.

And the NY numbers are drastically under counted. Listen to reports from FDNY paramedics who were responding to calls for dead people in Queens round the clock before testing was in place. It's gut wrenching.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2021, 09:45:39 AM »
You want to use todays data, this week or month?
From the beginning of COVID-19
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »
And his masking and lockdown policies were very effective.

Crown Heights deaths in the first wave: ~70 (I don't see an official count, that's a number I've heard)
Crown Heights deaths in the second and third waves: 1

There has been virtually no masking, schools have been open, and events have been jam packed.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2021, 09:59:36 AM »

I think you're reading way too much into the wording of my post. My point was that NY's Covid numbers aren't being scrutinized and haven't been for over a year. The only context in which NY's Covid response is brought up is either with regards to complaints about restrictions (and all the garbage that comes with them), or with regards to the nursing home massacre, which was over by mid-May 2020.

IOW, FL isn't getting swept under the rug in comparison to attention NY is getting on DDF with regards to Covid. IMO, it's been pretty proportionate, and possibly even skewed towards FL when you factor in what percentage of DDFers live in NY vs FL.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
From the beginning of COVID-19
How does that help us now or give us a picture of what is happening now?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2021, 10:02:59 AM »
IOW, FL isn't getting swept under the rug in comparison to attention NY is getting on DDF with regards to Covid. IMO, it's been pretty proportionate, and possibly even skewed towards FL when you factor in what percentage of DDFers live in NY vs FL.
FL is the new death center and I see very little talk. I don't count.
When there is talk most is to defend this idiot.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2021, 10:04:12 AM »
And his masking and lockdown policies were very effective.

Crown Heights deaths in the first wave: ~70 (I don't see an official count, that's a number I've heard)
Crown Heights deaths in the second and third waves: 1

There has been virtually no masking, schools have been open, and events have been jam packed.
Do you expect this to change with Delta?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
FL is the new death center and I see very little talk. I don't count.
When there is talk most is to defend this idiot.

Personal opinion, as someone who lives in FL: there's nothing to say that hasn't already been said tens or hundreds of times already. FL's policies have been consistent throughout this pandemic. We've paid for it, are paying for it, and will continue to pay for it.

One thing that should be noted is that the majority of Floridians take Covid more seriously than portrayed in the media. It's been reported throughout the pandemic by DDF Floridians, and I think it's reflected in the poll numbers posted above.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
Do you expect this to change with Delta?

No. I expect case counts to spike in the fall/winter as they did last year. From what I can tell, the elderly are mostly vaccinated, and will hopefully get boosters before the spike really hits. The Orthodox communities were much quicker to use antibody treatments which, as Fauci is now also saying, prevents hospitalizations by insanely high percentages.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #249 on: August 25, 2021, 10:31:12 AM »
I think you're reading way too much into the wording of my post.

Damn right I am. Fewer things make me rage as much as Cuomo. You stated (twice) the anti-Cuomo talk is because of inconvenience. That made me even more furious. That's not it. Any trip through frum communities and you'd have seen we were barely inconvenienced by him. Life went on as usual basically since Shavuos last year. Even during the few weeks of his anti-Semitic micro cluster strategy, most found a way to keep going to Shul and to keep schools open.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
Damn right I am. Fewer things make me rage as much as Cuomo. You stated (twice) the anti-Cuomo talk is because of inconvenience. That made me even more furious. That's not it. Any trip through frum communities and you'd have seen we were barely inconvenienced by him. Life went on as usual basically since Shavuos last year. Even during the few weeks of his anti-Semitic micro cluster strategy, most found a way to keep going to Shul and to keep schools open.

I used the word "inconvenience" for brevity, not to downplay all that has gone on in NY. You're missing the context in which my post was made. CV said we hammer NY for how they did with Covid, and we give FL a pass because we are hypocrites or Kool-aid drinkers. I disputed that. Most of what we "hammer NY" for is Cuomo's politics and unfair treatment, and even that is because of how many DDFers are impacted by those things. I believe there are as many posts about FL's Covid issues as there are about NY's, if not more. That's it. Don't read any more into it.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 25, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »
I used the word "inconvenience" for brevity
Right, it's basically shorthand for "Anybody who's against the restrictions is a selfish science denying grandma-killer." In other words trivializing all the damage caused by all the lockdowns and restrictions as nothing but an inconvenience.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 25, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »
Right, it's basically shorthand for "Anybody who's against the restrictions is a selfish science denying grandma-killer." In other words trivializing all the damage caused by all the lockdowns and restrictions as nothing but an inconvenience.

You're right, that's definitely what I meant. And NY also had a monopoly on lockdowns and restrictions. Anything else?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 25, 2021, 06:05:04 PM »
You're right, that's definitely what I meant.
Obviously I was being hyperbolic but I think that you chose the word "inconvenience" shows something.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 25, 2021, 06:19:07 PM »
Obviously I was being hyperbolic but I think that you chose the word "inconvenience" shows something.

My views on Covid and preventative measures are not a secret around here, but that has nothing to do with my choice of words. It's really pretty simple. Discussions surrounding covid in NY were more focused on the restrictions than on Covid itself. NY's restrictions were talked about more than other places, not because they were the most draconian, but because more DDFers were impacted by them. The greater the inconvenience to DDFers, the more airtime the restrictions got (see discussions on Canada, Israel, and Iceland).

Honestly, I say some pretty unpopular things on here all the time. For this post to be getting Rashi and Tosafos on whether I wrote something with or without a vav and what it could possibly mean.... Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 25, 2021, 07:58:32 PM »
It was pretty obvious that lurker just meant that Cuomo's policies that affected the frum community is what made him vilified (rightfully so) on DDF, rather than his success or lack of success in mitigating cases

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2021, 08:13:23 PM »
It was pretty obvious that lurker just meant that Cuomo's policies that affected the frum community is what made him vilified (rightfully so) on DDF, rather than his success or lack of success in mitigating cases
Just look at how he was vilified so much more than some others with similar policies
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »
Discussions surrounding covid in NY were more focused on the restrictions than on Covid itself. NY's restrictions were talked about more than other places, not because they were the most draconian, but because more DDFers were impacted by them. The greater the inconvenience to DDFers, the more airtime the restrictions got (see discussions on Canada, Israel, and Iceland).
That much I understood. My problem is with seemingly insisting on framing the restrictions as mere inconveniences. (yes, some are. But some are very damaging.)

Although as Yehuda57 pointed out already, CH has basically been back to normal for a year already.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2021, 08:39:07 PM »
That much I understood. My problem is with seemingly insisting on framing the restrictions as mere inconveniences. (yes, some are. But some are very damaging.)

It wasn't framing the restrictions as "mere" inconveniences. It was distinguishing Covid conversations from conversations about restrictions, and highlighting the reason NY's restrictions were discussed disproportionately on DDF. And all of that to prove that FL hasn't been ignored or given a free pass.

ETA: Trust me, when I have something obnoxious and/or controversial to say, I won't subtweet it. My internet beitzim are just fine.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:49:29 PM by Lurker »

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2021, 08:57:37 PM »
It was distinguishing Covid conversations from conversations about restrictions, and highlighting the reason NY's restrictions were discussed disproportionately on DDF. And all of that to prove that FL hasn't been ignored or given a free pass.
I understood that ever since your first post, I never argued against that. My issue all along was strictly with the word "inconvenience."

It wasn't framing the restrictions as "mere" inconveniences.
I believe it does, though I guess it was unintentional. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anyways, vaytur...