Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve--Trip Cancellation Insurance  (Read 744 times)

Offline Woofwoof

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Chase Sapphire Reserve--Trip Cancellation Insurance
« on: August 11, 2021, 06:36:15 PM »
Hello:
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and used it to book some hotel nights overseas. Many of these hotels in Europe have restrictive cancellation policies. I won't cancel these nights unless Covid is bad enough that the EU or specific countries close their borders. So, I called and emailed Chase--in both instances, it's freaking useless. I was hung up over the phone (after being transferred) and then given a boilerplate reply to my email inquiry. The following except is what I sent to Chase. Does anybody know the answers to these questions?

"I am planning a trip to Europe and all my airfares and hotels are paid for by this card.  My spouse and I are fully vaccinated with the Covid-19 vaccine. Currently and at the time of my bookings, there are no travel restrictions for vaccinated travelers from America to Austria, Italy, and Germany, which are the countries that we are visiting. We will have a rental car and drive from one country to the other.

However, we would like to know if we will be covered (and how much coverage) for each of the following conditions:

1. Any of the above countries closes its borders from each other
2. Any of the above countries disallows Americans to enter
3. Any of the above countries requires mandatory quarantine for Americans
4. Sudden closures, due to Covid, of existing hotels booked

Thank you very much for your time and help. We look forward to your reply."

All pointers are appreciated. Thanks!!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve--Trip Cancellation Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:09:42 PM »
1. Border closures aren't covered.
2. Border closures aren't covered.
3. Mandatory quarantine upon arrival? Why can you not quarantine in the hotel that you booked? The following is covered: "Quarantine of You or Your Traveling Companion imposed by a Physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons." Quarantine is defined as follows:

"Quarantine – You or Your Traveling Companion is forced into medical isolation by a recognized government authority, their authorized deputies, or medical examiners due to You or Your
Traveling Companion either having, or being suspected of having, a contagious disease, infection, or contamination"

As a general matter, Chase's insurer has not been approving claims unless the individual is specifically told to quarantine; generalized quarantines haven't been approved. However, even if it were, it'd only cover down-the-line hotel bookings. It would not covered any NEW expenses that you incur as a result of the quarantine.

4. Why would you not be reimbursed from the hotel, and, if not, dispute the charge?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve--Trip Cancellation Insurance
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 03:15:34 PM »
It might be best to purchase third party travel insurance from Allianz, Travelex, etc. that might cover your concered scenarios.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"