Author Topic: Boy was found BH 08 - 21  (Read 6100 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Boy was found BH 08 - 21
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 11:31:01 PM »
Done

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2021, 11:32:24 PM »
I think a CH Hatzaloh membee found him, but it could be he was just nearby when someone else found him
CH91
["-"]

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Help wanted - time sensitive
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2021, 11:34:10 PM »
No organization found him. A yid who cares, just like the hundreds of others who were searching and the thousands who stopped to say some tehillim, found him.

If what I heard is true, and frankly, it is immaterial, the person is a Hatzalah member. A few months ago, my son had severe croup on a Friday night. Those who have experienced it will know it is terrifying. Your child literally is wheezing, struggling for every breath. This Hatzalah member responded and took us to the hospital. I cannot express just how calming and kind he and his fellow Hatzalah members were. After a few hours in the hospital we came home, B"H.

Later that Shabbos afternoon, there was a knock on the door. It was this "yid who cares" checking up on my son.

A month later, and once again my son got severe croup. Again, this yid was the responding Hatzalah member, and again we were in the hospital for a few hours before returning home. That afternoon I got a text from this "yid who cares" asking how my son was doing.

Truly a yid who cares.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2021, 11:37:42 PM »
[]

Please remove or black out the kid's face.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2021, 11:40:41 PM »
If what I heard is true, and frankly, it is immaterial, the person is a Hatzalah member. A few months ago, my son had severe croup on a Friday night. Those who have experienced it will know it is terrifying. Your child literally is wheezing, struggling for every breath. This Hatzalah member responded and took us to the hospital. I cannot express just how calming and kind he and his fellow Hatzalah members were. After a few hours in the hospital we came home, B"H.

Later that Shabbos afternoon, there was a knock on the door. It was this "yid who cares" checking up on my son.

A month later, and once again my son got severe croup. Again, this yid was the responding Hatzalah member, and again we were in the hospital for a few hours before returning home. That afternoon I got a text from this "yid who cares" asking how my son was doing.

Truly a yid who cares.
I personally know a few hatzolah members who are like this. Real, real tzaddikim. Not just when people are looking, or when they will get attention for it. Veteran members who remember the details of patients they attended to weeks after, and they will go through discomfort and inconvenience to help in every way they could.

These people were recognized as heroes by Covid, when those lawn signs rose up heralding their actions. But they remain supremely dedicated, day after day after day after day, when the rest of us forget. They remain focused on their mission in the dark, long after the spotlight has moved on to more exciting things. They really are heroes.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2021, 11:42:14 PM »
Please remove or black out the kid's face.

Done, although there are pictures of them in the hospital so the family is probably ok with it and want everyone to see he is ok

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2021, 11:48:20 PM »

Truly a yid who cares.

Just to be clear, my point was not to c"v minimize the incredible chessed that every member of each of these organizations performs on a daily basis. My point was that I prefer to look at the person as an individual, as a yid who cares, rather than a piece of an organization. Additionally, every yid who cares and was able to help in this search deserves tremendous credit on an individual level. It is in these kinds of situations where we see that our differences based on the sub sub sub group that we identify with are so irrelevant.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2021, 11:52:46 PM »
Just to be clear, my point was not to c"v minimize the incredible chessed that every member of each of these organizations performs on a daily basis. My point was that I prefer to look at the person as an individual, as a yid who cares, rather than a piece of an organization. Additionally, every yid who cares and was able to help in this search deserves tremendous credit on an individual level. It is in these kinds of situations where we see that our differences based on the sub sub sub group that we identify with are so irrelevant.

That's exactly how I took it

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »
Is there any general guidance on what a child should do if they ch'v get lost? This child was all by himself what was he supposed to do?
I tell my kids to go to a woman with children with her, then any female, then a male with kids....

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2021, 11:58:36 PM »
I tell my kids to go to a woman with children with her, then any female, then a male with kids....
#racist

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2021, 11:58:44 PM »

I agree with strategy, just not sure that my 7 year old is ready to memorize a flowchart.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2021, 12:03:24 AM »
I agree with strategy, just not sure that my 7 year old is ready to memorize a flowchart.
https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Stay-Paperback-Bracha-Goetz/dp/1422617599/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Pages 26 & 27 if it's one of the books you read to your kids, it will go in.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2021, 12:03:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/KolHaolam/status/1425664774076092418

The group I was in searched very close to that area that he was found in and we were calling his name.

Maybe he fell asleep

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2021, 12:06:26 AM »
just 25 feet away from the Atlantic Ocean
Chills

The community owes a debt of gratitude to NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio who was on the phone countless times with Pinny Ringel,
Is this another Ezra Friedlander hit piece?

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
BH that he was found!

But there needs to be more accountability from camps.

I was in summer camp as a 3 year old in Boro Park when my parents noticed that out of the blue I was much more scared of things and needed to know exactly where we were going and if we knew how to get there.

My mother talked to the camp and they said, well we weren't going to mention it, but now that you asked, we did accidentally leave your son in the park and noticed it when we got back to camp without him...

I wonder how common this is?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
BH that he was found!

I was in summer camp as a 3 year old in Boro Park when my parents noticed that out of the blue I was much more scared of things and needed to know exactly where we were going and if we knew how to get there.

My mother talked to the camp and they said, well we weren't going to mention it, but now that you asked, we did accidentally leave your son in the park and noticed it when we got back to camp without him...

The unfortunate reality is that in camps the foot soldiers are often teenagers who can't be realistically trusted to be on top of such a thing on their own. Their higher up is oftentimes a single head counselor responsible for dozens of kids (sometimes in more than one physical location at the same time), and the camp directors are delegating this responsibility to those beneath them.

If someone with experience and wisdom could devise the optimal/least-friction system for accounting for everyone in such situations (incl. dealing with medical emergencies ch"v, kid going to the bathroom, non-urgent injuries, etc) and offer it to camps free of charge, it could mitigate the potential for such mishaps.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2021, 10:35:32 AM »
BH that he was found!

Odds of there being accountability without the administration feeling true financial pressure is slim. My son is same age as this boy. He has 27 boys in his bunk! (Different camp IINM).

If the administration has to deal with a lawsuit, they will force the head staff to implement rules that they'll never deal with it again. Otherwise, they can have protocols but rarely enforced. Most parents wouldnt sue, so the cycle continues