Poll

Do you know anyone that had the Delta Variant?

No
20 (64.5%)
1 to 5 people
3 (9.7%)
6 and Above.
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Do you know anyone that had the covid Delta Variant?  (Read 7970 times)

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know anyone that had the covid Delta Variant?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2021, 09:49:37 PM »
I know a few people with covid right now and I have first hand knowledge of an outbreak in a frum camp. I can't tell you if it's delta or not.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 10:16:52 PM »
Per the CDC Delta accounted for ~93% of new infections in the US for the last two weeks of July. So if you know anyone who's had COVID recently, it's likely Delta.

(I'm not finding the direct CDC source for this)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online Mf1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
i know a few who came back recently from camp with covid

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2021, 10:26:21 PM »
i know a few who came back recently from camp with covid

Great homecoming gift for their families.

Couldn't camp have tested everyone and kept anyone COVID-positive in camp for another week? Then I guess staffing could be an issue...

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2021, 10:57:57 PM »
At a camp in the Midwest, with about 500 campers, they needed to test the Canadian girls with PCR tests before they could return home after the first half. There were 20 Canadian girls in the camp. 3 tested positive.
Extrapolated, approximately 75 girls returned home two weeks ago positive.
Same camp, second trip, a staff member tells me " everyone's coughing".

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2021, 11:00:14 PM »
In fact most rapid tests are not sensitive to Delta. My daughter tells me she has tested hundreds of patients in her urgent care and for many the rapids are negative and the lab tests come back positive.
Great DP, fascinating

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2021, 11:06:38 PM »
I don't know that people will know if they have the new variant, but yes, I know a number of people who tested positive over the past couple of weeks in:
Monsey
Flatbush
Crown Heights
Great Neck
My pediatrician in Crown Heights sent out a notice that Delta is spreading through frum communities including Crown Heights.
Plenty of reports on DDF that cases are rising in Lakewood.

So yeah, it's real and it's here. Get vaccinated.
I don't know that people will know if they have the new variant, but yes, I know a number of people who tested positive over the past couple of weeks in:
Monsey
Flatbush
Crown Heights
Great Neck
My pediatrician in Crown Heights sent out a notice that Delta is spreading through frum communities including Crown Heights.
Plenty of reports on DDF that cases are rising in Lakewood.

So yeah, it's real and it's here. Get vaccinated.
At this point someone that had covid in the past with antibodies - There's really no strong argument to get a vaccine. Most will agree the vaccine comes with risks especially this one which is using a never tried before technology. The benefit Has to outweigh the risk. The strongest argument I've seen put forth is one small study done before Delta was prevalent those with a prior covid infection vs. those with covid and a vaccine - those with a vaccine 2.34 less chance of being infected. The issue with the study none of them were tested for antibodies, it was done prior to the delta variant even those that did get infected, did they end up in the hospital? There's just no compelling reason to get a newly tried vaccine. The argument about making variants is just silly. Variants are coming from all parts of the world delta originated in india there's an African variant.. besides, the fact is the vaccine is showing less and less to be effective against delta - it may be limiting severe symptoms but that won't stop you from making the "Variants". Most of the other reasons don't get others sick the elderly etc. These are all just not compelling reasons at this point (low vaccine effectiveness problem)for people with a prior infection. We also look at the frum communities who had it in the past and aren't taking any precautions and the daily numbers בלע"ה are not going past the teens it's been here for a good couple of weeks.. A strong case just hasn't been made..

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 11:11:24 PM »
I know 3 people who tested positive in Lakewood in the last 2 weeks, two of whom are a newborn and his mother.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »
I have been hearing so much about this Delta variant yet I don't even know one person that has it. I'm curious to hear from others.

I personally don't know anyone that was covid positive in months.
How exactly are people supposed to “know” they have the Delta variant (even though it’s reasonable to assume COVID now is Delta)? Poll should be changed to “recent COVID” and you’ll likely get different answers.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2021, 11:22:25 PM »
At this point someone that had covid in the past with antibodies - There's really no strong argument to get a vaccine.

A) that's a massive qualifier
B) for the average person who had covid (especially in the first wave), when was the last time they checked for antibodies?
C)
But the real answer is not to trust a guy on an internet forum. We have an Eibishter, we have a Torah, and we have halacha. Halacha instructs us to follow the advice of doctors. So follow halacha and ask your doctor. I'm confident in saying "get vaccinated" as a blanket statement because the medical concensus is to do so. If your specific case differs, you should of course follow the guidance and instruction you receive.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 11:31:28 PM »
To answer the OP the only way to know if one has the Delta Variant is if the test goes to the CDC...which most dont. There is no commercially available test for the variant. In fact most rapid tests are not sensitive to Delta. My daughter tells me she has tested hundreds of patients in her urgent care and for many the rapids are negative and the lab tests come back positive.

Rapids are a gimmick (not nearly as accurate as PCR) and are best for symptomatic patients to determine whether it's COVID or something else.

Urgent cares do rapids on the spot and likely make more $$ for them, it's always funny to hear their doublespeak about rapid vs. PCR. If it's positive they follow up with a PCR and likely make even more then.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2021, 12:30:09 AM »
Rapids are a gimmick (not nearly as accurate as PCR) and are best for symptomatic patients to determine whether it's COVID or something else.

Urgent cares do rapids on the spot and likely make more $$ for them, it's always funny to hear their doublespeak about rapid vs. PCR. If it's positive they follow up with a PCR and likely make even more then.
Your assumptions are a bit misguided. The probably make less with rapid because the cost of the test is borne by them rather than the lab that processes the PCR. They get paid for the visit...not the test.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2021, 12:43:19 AM »
Your assumptions are a bit misguided. The probably make less with rapid because the cost of the test is borne by them rather than the lab that processes the PCR. They get paid for the visit...not the test.

Perhaps. To me it was clear as day that the UC manager was trying to push the rapid as "good enough".

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2021, 12:46:20 AM »
Perhaps. To me it was clear as day that the UC manager was trying to push the rapid as "good enough".
Less paperwork = more patients seen quicker = more visits billed. And if rapids are a gimmick then why are their results accepted everywhere?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2021, 12:49:02 AM »
Less paperwork = more patients seen quicker = more visits billed. And if rapids are a gimmick then why are their results accepted everywhere?
Everywhere?
I don't think any country accepts rapids besides for the US.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 12:54:27 AM »

Anyone who's showing up at this urgent care is getting a COVID test, whether rapid or antigen. I don't think they're having to staff extra or turn anyone away because a few people elected for a PCR. I came in at the same time as a woman with a baby, she got the rapid and I got the PCR, we waited the exact same amount of time until testing.

Offline lazertek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2021, 01:00:13 AM »
A) that's a massive qualifier
B) for the average person who had covid (especially in the first wave), when was the last time they checked for antibodies?
C)
My grandmother which is in her 80s ka"h was advised by her cardiologist to hold off on the vaccine for now and she had covid around yom kipur time last year and she took a antibody test a few months ago and the results showed that she is high in antibodies and then again about a week ago and the results showed a even higher number of antibodies than the previous test but I guess it's ymmv .
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2021, 01:11:30 AM »
Everywhere?
I don't think any country accepts rapids besides for the US.
Germany and other countries accept rapid

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2021, 07:46:25 AM »
Where are antigen tests accepted? They definitely shouldn’t be, as it is well documented that many of them are as poor as 50% sensitive (50% accurate at detecting positive cases), although they usually have high specificity (once they say you have COVID you usually have COVID).

This would also explain why they really aren’t picking up many Delta cases- their sensitivity is poor even to the alpha strain, so likely even worse to a variant.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
Germany and other countries accept rapid
Rapid as in antigen tests? They allow you to present an antigen test as proof that you are COVID negative?

That’s surprising although presenting a negative rapid does make you at least 50% less likely to have COVID so it’s definitely not completely worthless.