Author Topic: Afghanistan Falls To The Taliban After US Withdrawal  (Read 93418 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Afghanistan Falls To The Taliban After US Withdrawal
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2021, 03:35:12 PM »
Forgot the :P

I omitted that on purpose learned from the רבש"ע who created the world לעשות... had to leave something for you to add.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2021, 04:21:35 PM »
The airport remains open with flights leaving every hour. They estimate 5-10k people leaving each day. How many are we responsible for?
"However, as of Tuesday afternoon many thousands of Afghans who had been employed by Western embassies and nongovernment organizations in Kabul remained stranded and unable to reach Hamid Karzai International Airport for evacuation flights as the Taliban erected checkpoints at airport entrances, whipping and beating Afghans who attempted to cross."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/taliban-consolidate-control-in-afghanistans-capital-thousands-remain-stranded-11629195393
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
"However, as of Tuesday afternoon many thousands of Afghans who had been employed by Western embassies and nongovernment organizations in Kabul remained stranded and unable to reach Hamid Karzai International Airport for evacuation flights as the Taliban erected checkpoints at airport entrances, whipping and beating Afghans who attempted to cross."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/taliban-consolidate-control-in-afghanistans-capital-thousands-remain-stranded-11629195393
How would Bagram have fixed that issue though?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2021, 04:58:21 PM »
How would Bagram have fixed that issue though?
Everyone should have been evacuated before the withdrawal. It's not rocket science.
What happens in Gaza if the troops pull out and leave the settlers behind?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2021, 04:59:51 PM »
Everyone should have been evacuated before the withdrawal.
Who exactly is everyone? Anyone who wants to leave? Anyone with a visa? Anyone eligible for a visa? We have no hard numbers on these things yet - just reports of individuals of various statuses who can't get out.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2021, 05:01:39 PM »
Who exactly is everyone? Anyone who wants to leave? Anyone with a visa? Anyone eligible for a visa? We have no hard numbers on these things yet - just reports of individuals of various statuses who can't get out.
We have no hard number as this time, so let them die.

Great policy, you should work for the Government!

Imagine the Surfside rescue operation said, we have no hard numbers at this time, so we won't bother looking for people...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 17, 2021, 05:02:16 PM »
Anyone eligible for a visa should have been given a deadline to apply and been evacuated in an orderly fashion before pulling out the rug. This isn't rocket science.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2021, 05:18:14 PM »

Imagine the Surfside rescue operation said, we have no hard numbers at this time, so we won't bother looking for people...
What? How do you get any of that from what I said? I'm saying that it's hard to level specific criticisms about this point without knowing the numbers. Yes we see the scenes at the airport, and reports of people being killed by the Taliban for being traitors, but how many of these would we actually have taken in realistically?

Anyone eligible for a visa should have been given a deadline to apply and been evacuated in an orderly fashion before pulling out the rug. This isn't rocket science.
The SIV program is notoriously slow, likely intentionally so. Average wait time through the process is 3 years.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »

What number do you have in mind. If we evacuate 10k did we do our job? How about 20, 30, 50k?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »
What? How do you get any of that from what I said? I'm saying that it's hard to level specific criticisms about this point without knowing the numbers. Yes we see the scenes at the airport, and reports of people being killed by the Taliban for being traitors, but how many of these would we actually have taken in realistically?
The SIV program is notoriously slow, likely intentionally so. Average wait time through the process is 3 years.
I don't know anything about it, but this is not an excuse to let them die.

What number do you have in mind. If we evacuate 10k did we do our job? How about 20, 30, 50k?
Every single person we have a responsibility to protect. I don't care if it's 5 of 500,000.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2021, 05:31:50 PM »
Every single person we have a responsibility to protect. I don't care if it's 5 of 500,000.
So now you care about these people?
I don't know how much more I can take of this.  :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2021, 05:43:48 PM »
So let them die? C'mon man!
You put the resources needed into expediting applications from Afghanistan and/or find a temporary solution like a refugee camp somewhere outside of Afghanistan.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
Who said let them die? All that was asked is how many we are talking about. So far there has been no answer, estimate or even a guess. Lets just pick a number and say 20k. We should have a figure on how many were evacuated after this is over. Then can judge on the job they did.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2021, 06:05:37 PM »
Who said let them die? All that was asked is how many we are talking about. So far there has been no answer, estimate or even a guess. Lets just pick a number and say 20k. We should have a figure on how many were evacuated after this is over. Then can judge on the job they did.
There is no answer because there is no process, just like the Mexican border
["-"]

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:18 PM »
Asking for a number just aplifies how you've been comparing apples and oranges this entire thread.

The conversation was about how this went down, and all you want to talk about it how it'll be in the future. No connection.

Now you want to know how many people we have to save. When I am saying we needed to have a process to make sure people who need to be saved are. That has no connection to numbers but rather again, the process of how this was done.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »
The airport remains open with flights leaving every hour. They estimate 5-10k people leaving each day. How many are we responsible for?

Where are they flying to and how many of them have their hopes on the US as their final destination?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2021, 07:23:31 PM »
I don't know anything about it, but this is not an excuse to let them die.

Oh so lets take in hundreds of thousands of Afgans because they translated something for our troops, we're doing such a great job at the Mexican border, what's another 100,000 Afgans refugees

My opinion will be unpopular but I wouldn't take in any of them. Not one.

No one forced them to work for the Americans, they were good paying jobs & they knew the risks they were getting into.

If they were so frightening of a Taliban takeover then they should've fought harder against them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2021, 07:29:20 PM »
No one forced them to work for the Americans, they were good paying jobs & they knew the risks they were getting into.
No, they were told the US would protect them.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
Asking for a number just aplifies how you've been comparing apples and oranges this entire thread.

The conversation was about how this went down, and all you want to talk about it how it'll be in the future. No connection.

Now you want to know how many people we have to save. When I am saying we needed to have a process to make sure people who need to be saved are. That has no connection to numbers but rather again, the process of how this was done.
You need something as a yardstick. The whole country needs to be saved. We already failed at that by pulling out.

You want this magical process that doesn't exist. We all agree the way it was done is a failure. The point I and others have been making is it doesn't matter as the end result will be the same.

ETA - Here are the WH numbers: It's unclear how many individuals can be evacuated in just two weeks. More than 11,000 American citizens are in Afghanistan, according to White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki. And at least 30,000 Afghan nationals who aided the U.S. effort over the last two decades are desperate to flee the country.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:47:05 PM by CountValentine »

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2021, 08:00:01 PM »
Oh so lets take in hundreds of thousands of Afgans because they translated something for our troops, we're doing such a great job at the Mexican border, what's another 100,000 Afgans refugees

My opinion will be unpopular but I wouldn't take in any of them. Not one.

If they were so frightening of a Taliban takeover then they should've fought harder against them.

Next time you're sipping on a late prepared by an immigrant for less than minimum wage, think of the Afghan who got his US dog tags branded into his chest as his 10 year old daughter was raped before he was executed.