Author Topic: Is there a movement today as big as the hippie movement?  (Read 3540 times)

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a movement today as big as the hippie movement?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 03:49:39 PM »
so this is one example. id like to know in your experience (were you alive back then?) is the "woke" movement as all encompassing as the hippie movement?
i dont particularly feel the weigh of the "woke" movement in my life. i read some news and talk about it sometimes, but i dont feel swept up by it nor do i know anyone who is.
was the hippie movement bigger than that? do people here have a similar feeling towards their hippie era experience as i feel towards the woke movement (which is light at best)

to be honest im quite interested to know what @CountValentine has to say on the matter
I was very young during Woodstock.  My parents were responsible adults in a frum community at the time.  What I understood from them was that it was a bunch of meshiganes breaking social norms. Regular people weren't swept up in it. 
But it changed the culture.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a movement today as big as the hippie movement?
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 07:26:31 PM »
I was very young during Woodstock.  My parents were responsible adults in a frum community at the time.  What I understood from them was that it was a bunch of meshiganes breaking social norms. Regular people weren't swept up in it. 
But it changed the culture.

By your parents standards they were a bunch of Meshugeners. By baseline American standards many were normal kids from normal homes, that decided to join the movement.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)