Author Topic: El Salvador - meeting the Sefardi kehilla (2 Shuls)  (Read 5051 times)

Offline MokirShabbs

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
El Salvador - meeting the Sefardi kehilla (2 Shuls)
« on: August 18, 2022, 02:31:25 AM »
I took my 7 year old on a fabulous father-son adventure here. It's VERY safe, much more so than LA or Baltimore, especially after the President cracked down on the gang infighting in the 2 bad neighborhoods in the capital. Truth be told, you don't need more than a day in the capital (if at all).

Thanks to dansdeals for the headsup about the 6k skypesos each way (comfort outbound - first on return)!
Delta first on the return was absolutely lousy tho. Do they assume Latin Americans will only travel 1st if they significantly dumb it down?
You can also find avianca flights for 10k lifemiles and Spirit goes there so you have a LOT of cheap options.

Flying time is barely 4 hours, and weather almost guaranteed to be in the 80s, not to mention accommodations that’s a fraction of the price of domestic destinations. We explored the beautiful country, climbing volcanoes, spelunking, ziplining, and rappelling along the way.

We took a lot of Spanish/Hebrew siddurim with (stuffed 15 in my carryon alone) since the Sephardic kehilla is very poor and friends who had been said that everyone shares siddurim. They were right!
Also brought a bunch of mezuzahs as these would cost them the equivalent of a week's salary (on average). We also brought several refurbished Chromebooks, which were particularly needed as, with no rabbis in the country, the primary way the community learns Torah (and other subjects) is online via electronic devices.

A trip highlight was being able to share Torah and meals with the small Sephardi community in the capital city of San Salvador over Shabbos. Descended from the Jews of Spain who fled from the Inquisition, it’s incredible how they have survived against all odds. A community member drives most months to Guatemala – a 10-hour round trip – to buy meat, wine and grape juice for everyone. (They don’t have to go far for guavas or avocados, though, as these grow in the shul’s yard.) Given that no one lives within walking distance of the shul, everyone stays on bunk beds in dorm-like rooms at the shul each Shabbos.  We stayed 12 minute walk away at Crowne Plaza for all of about 13k/night (booked during a points sale of course).

Even more fascinating was our trip to their flourishing sister community (El Salvador’s only other Orthodox shul) in the beautiful countryside: Sinagoga Beit Shemaya ve Abtalion in Armenia about half an hour outside the capital. There's a Walmart or two on the way so you can pick up candy and ice cream to bring to the kids in the community (or give to your own kids:)
Most of the adults sell wares in the market or are engaged in manual labor, e.g., in construction, and they had built the simple tin-roofed shul and neighboring mikvah with their own hands. My son enjoyed using a coconut to play soccer with the kids, who rarely get to meet Jews from other countries. When we davened mincha I had to share a siddur with my son as there aren’t enough to go round.

When I go back again, Iy”H, I hope to take with me more Chromebooks, mezuzahs, and hopefully get some sephardi talleisim - as many of the ones there are generally ageing and fraying. It's probably one of the poorest Jewish communities in the world but their thirst for Torah and their hachnasas orchim is HUGE!

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: El Salvador - meeting the Sefardi kehilla (2 Shuls)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 12:51:26 AM »
Nice TR. Was there last Feb, when I was there, they told me there is only 1 shul in San Salvador, although they have 2 listings on godaven.com. BTW both addresses were wrong, so if anyone plans going contact the rabbi before he should send you the exact location. Google maps is not 100% accurate, but with location sharing you are better off.
They are geirim, rabbi Prisman who is pictured above is the de facto rabbi now and he is also a ger. They went through an orthodox geirus procedure.
He is very welcoming to visitors and very friendly.

Offline RoshPinah

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
El Salvador - beauty and Bitcoin
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 12:45:58 PM »
Luckily most people in the US still believe the country is as dangerous as in the reports from years ago so prices are still really low and we're already planning our third trip. That will probably change in the next couple of years as the secret gets out and then it will be much less affordable. (It will actually be the 4th trip for our daughter because she went there on a school trip where they both toured and engaged with the local kehilloh.)

Less than 2.5 hours from Miami, we found flights for just $46 on Avianca. It was our second time there - this time we came with extended mishpocho.  Everything is cheap (including flights at just $46!). The shul in San Salvador went out of their way for us in catering meals. It’s mostly comprised of geiri tzedek who spent years in the process under the guidance of various talmidei chachomim from Argentina and Mexico before converting in several waves over the last decade. Dozens of families were in each wave; many couples were halachically married as needed right after milah/mikvah. Many have made aliyah, emigrated to Mexico, or even Brazil in search of a stronger Jewish infrastructure, but it’s amazing to see what they manage to achieve on a shoestring budget with the little infrastructure they have, and to see their commitment to torah u’mitzvos.   

You won’t have to change any money because they use the dollar. And bitcoin too. Although outside the capital (San Salvador) we didn’t see many signs of bitcoin’s use or acceptance.

There's much I could write about our trip to El Salvador. It rose to prominence in the last 2-3 years because the young President realized that homicides in the capital were approaching the levels of New York City and tourists and investors were choosing to spend their money in neighboring countries instead. He ordered police to jail hundreds, if not thousands, of gang members from the bad neighborhoods to send a message that he wasn't tolerating thuggery any more. And it worked! Tourists are flocking there and crime was virtually eradicted.

While there are a lot of Israeli backpackers at the coast and many frum business people that pass through, it's still not yet enough to support a Chabad House or kosher restaurant. Nonetheless, despite only being here for 5 days we still bumped into a large number of frum families on our travels - some on our climb up the extinct volcano in Cerro Verde National Park.   

If you're looking to meet the local Jews, you basically have 2 options. The first shul/community is about 40 minutes by cab or rental from the airport in the sprawling capital city, San Salvador, where about a quarter of the population live, but where IMHO there's not much for tourists to see or do apart from a small Art Museum and a Botanical Garden. Our friends stayed there for Shabbos last year after finding a great deal at the Crown Plaza (about $65/night) which is just a 15 minute walk from the Sefardi shul. We needed 8 rooms and I ended up booking a non brand hotel which worked out cheaper and was much closer to the Shul.  The local community lives very spread out in the city, but since they move into dorm rooms in the Shul every Shabbos, they don’t have to walk anywhere. 🙂

If you drive another 40 minutes West you’ll arrive at the humble town of Armenia, which I'll dub the Jewish capital of El Salvador. There's only 1 hotel in town, a short walk from the Shul but it only has 3 or 4 rooms so it didn’t make sense to stay there for Shabbos or any part of this trip given that there were more than 20 of us in our group. When I come back in Yeshiva week Iy”H with just my kids, we plan to stay in Armenia.

Both kehillos get basics like grape juice and Israeli/kosher snacks via neighboring Guatemala (a 5-6 hour drive away). Know that they're among the poorest Jews in the Americas and if you eat their food - and even if you don't - they'll deeply appreciate a donation, and perhaps your offer to bring something from the US for them. We brought a case of bamba, a couple of bottles of Bartenura, multiple packs of Paskesz candy, and tuna fish! Next time we would probably ask them what Judaica items they need. Bli neder on our next trip we plan to fundraise to donate a pair of tefillin (currently, most people share these), and maybe a mezuzah or 2.

Not far from Armenia is the volcano I mentioned earlier and the beautiful Lago de Coatepeque, a lake formed from the caldera of another volcano. We enjoyed an early morning jet-ski on the lake for around $20 before going swimming in the water. Apparently, the very wealthy Salvadorians have vacation homes around this lake.

El Tunco is the beach that Israelis and others flock to. It’s known as one of Central America’s best beaches to surf and it’s only about $25/hour to take lessons at one of the schools in the area. Most hostels have surfboards you can rent even if you’re not staying there. Be sure to watch sunrise and especially sunset along this beach as it is exceptional. At the Eastern end of the beach (about 10-15 minutes from the short central thoroughfare with most of the hotels and hostels), you’ll find some caves. Be sure to look up low tide times as that’s the perfect time to access them. Wear closed toe shoes, string your phone around your neck in a waterproof pouch, and wear a headlamp. It’s a cool free activity.

From there we drove to Cascadas de Tamanique, the waterfalls of Tamanique. This was a really great workout that reminded me of Nachal Avitan in the Golan. Except there were even more waterfalls of varying heights and plenty of places to jump into the pools from. Leave yourself at least 3 or 4 hours before it starts to get dark and just show up in Tamanique. Within about 10 seconds, someone will come over offering to be your guide. Our guide looked like he was still a teenager, but he clearly had done this about 100 times and knew all the best stops to take a photograph. We paid him the going rate of $5 per person although we later relaized that if you come as a large group you can probably negotiate a cheaper rate. You can’t do this without a guide and he definitely earned the payment.

On our last morning we headed back to the airport with a stop along the way for a couple of hours at Walter Thilo Deininger National Park where we had one final set of adventures including ziplining, rock climbing with a harness (harder than it looked from the bottom), and rappelling. We were pretty exhausted by the time we boarded our flight, having enjoyed several action packed days in a beautiful country.

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 04:26:46 PM »
Great TR’s!
Visibly Jewish

Online Spoon

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 05:30:51 PM »
Very interesting.

What did you do for food? Brought everything?

Are any of the volcanos active?

Offline RoshPinah

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 08:08:31 PM »
Best to go to Guatemala if you want an active volcano  - although that's either a 2 day hike or a relatively expensive jeep through chabad of Antigua. These ones are beautiful because of their calderas and the surroundings.

re: food. Most people buy from one of the 2 kehillos that will cater to your needs, but we often supplement with pot noodle soups and Labriut meals. Last time I donated a 12 pack of pot noodles to the Shul for them to sell in their makolet. If you're a chalav stam family, you'll find treasure in walmart or pricesmart (similar to costco).

Looks like the shul is hosting a Pesach program. It's a great idea. Hopefully that will bring them some much needed revenue.
https://www.pesachcentral.com/

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 08:56:41 PM »
Beautiful!!