Author Topic: Roaming with eSims (e.g. Airalo)  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Roaming with eSims (e.g. Airalo)
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 02:49:07 AM »
I have a physical SIm on my Verizon iPhone and like to buy an eSIM for use in EU. Do I need to first move over the Verizon line to esim, or do I keep the Verizon line on physical and add the EU plan to the Esim? I am okay with making all calls using WhatsApp or similar if that is the easiest way to still see incoming calls on my US number.

If I need to change Verizon to ESIM, how do I that? Can I just go through Settings>Cellular>Add eSIM? or do I need to use the Verizon website?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:08:17 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2023, 09:20:44 AM »

I have a physical SIm on my Verizon iPhone and like to buy an eSIM for use in EU. Do I need to first move over the Verizon line to esim, or do I keep the Verizon line on physical and add the EU plan to the Esim? I am okay with making all calls using WhatsApp or similar if that is the easiest way to still see incoming calls on my US number.

If I need to change Verizon to ESIM, how do I that? Can I just go through Settings>Cellular>Add eSIM? or do I need to use the Verizon website?

From my understanding, on the contrary.
You want to leave your Verizon sim as is if you are going to get an esim there.
If you would want to get a physical sim there, then you would need to move the Verizon sim to esim.

Side note, I forward all my incoming calls to my Google voice when I am international, so that I can pick up, and I will only be using data from my international plan.

If you would want to have your Verizon service moved to esim, you may need sometime changed on the Verizon backend first.
Checking on their site or giving them a call would be a good idea.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2023, 09:33:45 AM »

I use GoogleFi when traveling and Verizon when home. I switched my Verizon line to esim (required a phone call to Verizon to get this done) as GoogleFi doesn't have the esim option available for Android devices (they do have this option for iPhone).