Author Topic: Bought on sale and got back more  (Read 20596 times)

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Bought on sale and got back more
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Didn't mean to say you bragged about it, I was referring to the threads on FWF where people are practically giddy about about how many bans they have.
I think we both can agree that FWF is a very different type of forum.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Buying items and returning them just to earn points/miles was talked on this forum before I joined. Where was the outrage then? Is this just a case where it is OK to steal a little but not OK to do it for large amounts?
There has been outrage before on that very subject.

And I agree that technically there's no difference between $1 and $1M ethically.  But practically there is a difference, hence why you got banned from Costco and other stores et al and people here are not.  There's a line that gets crossed that I would rather not cross.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
I think we both can agree that FWF is a very different type of forum.
Not really, we just have different ideas of how far to push the system and the best way to milk the system.
My motto is pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I think most here prefer getting fat without the slaughtered part, while people there (including you) would rather push everything to an extreme and just get slaughtered in the process.  Not smart IMHO as I'd rather still be welcome to use those services for legit reasons in the future, but to each their own.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
Not really, we just have different ideas of how far to push the system and the best way to milk the system.

I think most here prefer getting fat without the slaughtered part, while people there (including you) would rather push everything to an extreme and just get slaughtered in the process.  Not smart IMHO as I'd rather still be welcome to use those services for legit reasons in the future, but to each their own.
+1
Well said.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Bought on sale and got back more
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Like :)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »

We really should be careful with generalizations. I already made that mistake in this thread. While I will push some deals to the limit, I am also ultra conservative when it comes to CC applications. This is the main reason I have never had AA from a CC company.

Knowing what will happen ahead of time is a great advantage on a deal. You then make your own decision based on risk vs reward. Take Costco for example, you don’t need to be a member to shop there. You can show a Costco cash card and be admitted. So is there anything really lost if they revoke your membership?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
I am also ultra conservative when it comes to CC applications. This is the main reason I have never had AA from a CC company.
That's your loss.  I've probably opened 500 credit cards over the past 7 years to the tune of 8 figures worth of miles and never gotten a single card closed on me.

Knowing what will happen ahead of time is a great advantage on a deal. You then make your own decision based on risk vs reward. Take Costco for example, you don’t need to be a member to shop there. You can show a Costco cash card and be admitted. So is there anything really lost if they revoke your membership?
Let me know how you shop on Costco.com.
Or try to return things to a store.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
That's your loss.  I've probably opened 500 credit cards over the past 7 years to the tune of 8 figures worth of miles and never gotten a single card closed on me.
I will try and put this so we don’t have to rehash anything. A high cash back card is too valuable to me to risk any chance of a denial.

Let me know how you shop on Costco.com.
Or try to return things to a store.
What I refer to as a Costco ban is not that bad. Membership under one of my businesses is not a problem.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
I will try and put this so we don’t have to rehash anything. A high cash back card is too valuable to me to risk any chance of a denial.
What I refer to as a Costco ban is not that bad. Membership under one of my businesses is not a problem.
See that's where you and sd/fwf go wrong.  Having no clue whatsoever about the worth of an airline mile.

And I've read about folk whose address is perma-banned from Costco, etc.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
See that's where you and sd/fwf go wrong.  Having no clue whatsoever about the worth of an airline mile.

And I've read about folk whose address is perma-banned from Costco, etc.
Please don’t lump FWF with SD. FW does have a hot deals forum that can be lumped with SD.
If I am welcome maybe I will show up at one of your DO’s and then you can judge me on if I know what an airline mile is worth.

For Costco you can use a PO Box or PMB. Anyway I have different addresses for my businesses.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
If I am welcome maybe I will show up at one of your DO’s and then you can judge me on if I know what an airline mile is worth.
If you knew what I did and can do with them, you'd be singing a different tune.  But you're welcome to a DO anytime.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
If you knew what I did and can do with them, you'd be singing a different tune.  But you're welcome to a DO anytime.
Confidence is something you do not lack but from where I sit you are underestimating your opponent.

That reminds me, did you ever look into the two cards I mentioned?  ;)

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »
I just spoke to a rav about the whole taus akum thing.  He told me that even if you have a receipt and you purposely hold it back from the store in order to get more, that is still muttar.  The only way it would be a problem is if you lets say bough two pairs of the same shoes, one on sale and one full price.  If you go to return the sale one with the full price receipt, there since you are proactively misleading them that is assur.  Otherwise, it is their problem.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
I just spoke to a rav about the whole taus akum thing.  He told me that even if you have a receipt and you purposely hold it back from the store in order to get more, that is still muttar.  The only way it would be a problem is if you lets say bough two pairs of the same shoes, one on sale and one full price.  If you go to return the sale one with the full price receipt, there since you are proactively misleading them that is assur.  Otherwise, it is their problem.
nice. i guess im all good!

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
I just returned a pair of pants I got at macy's for $41 and got back $74.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2012, 05:27:54 PM »
I just returned a pair of pants I got at macy's for $41 and got back $74.
was it on sale when u bought it? did u have the receipt? details?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »

+1

Also, did you get back $74 cash or $74 Macy's credit?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
Was on sale when I bought it, and I had coupons. I retuned it w/o receipt and they said they're mailing me a credit. Pants are reg. $125

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 06:12:35 PM »
Was on sale when I bought it, and I had coupons. I retuned it w/o receipt and they said they're mailing me a credit. Pants are reg. $125
so i what i think what happens at macys is that the system picks up the sale but not the coupons or additional discounts like open a CC

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
so i what i think what happens at macys is that the system picks up the sale but not the coupons or additional discounts like open a CC

Not worth the credit pull, unless you're buying thousands of dollars worth.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael