Author Topic: Bought on sale and got back more  (Read 20605 times)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Re: Bought on sale and got back more
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
Does jaywalking constitute chillul Hashem? Not the topic under discussion.

This is not about personal feelings. This is about facts. And your statement "...unless you are coming from a legitimate source I don't think you can call anyone out about it" is so patently (and seemingly purposely) naive it boggles the mind.

I know a few prosecutors who would be licking their chops after getting their hands on someone who perpetrated this scheme on an unsuspecting merchant to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.

Try this one on for size. There are many state laws like it.

first off congrads on number 3000  :)

and please fix the link to the state law

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »
first off congrads on number 3000  :)

and please fix the link to the state law

Thanks.

Fixed.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »

Fixed.

what is that link showing any more than your previous one?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
what is that link showing any more than your previous one?

One is a Wiki article. The other is an actual NY State Criminal Law.

But you knew that already...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »
One is a Wiki article. The other is an actual NY State Criminal Law.

But you knew that already...
exactly! so the question remains why was that an appropriate response to

Thank you for the link to fraud but does this really constitute fraud when technically you are staying within the guidelines of their policies?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
exactly! so the question remains why was that an appropriate response to

Stores policies ≠ criminal law provisions.

As I said:

I know a few prosecutors who would be licking their chops after getting their hands on someone who perpetrated this scheme on an unsuspecting merchant to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
...does this really constitute fraud when technically you are staying within the guidelines of their policies?
"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund."
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »

Also very true! and yet my question still remains that if it is in the guidelines of the stores policies does it still constitute fraud?

you spoke to them about this or you are assuming based on how you feel?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
Also very true! and yet my question still remains that if it is in the guidelines of the stores policies does it still constitute fraud?

For the second time,

Whether or not it violates store policy is irrelevant to the question of criminal fraud.

you spoke to them about this or you are assuming based on how you feel?

Good friends of mine in the Manhattan DA's office. We do lunch often :)

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

Whether or not it violates store policy is irrelevant to the question of criminal fraud.

Interesting. My understanding was that if the store allows you to do it then it's not fraud. So you're saying that since their intentions for allowing returns was not for this purpose then it's fraud?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
Interesting. My understanding was that if the store allows you to do it then it's not fraud. So you're saying that since their intentions for allowing returns was not for this purpose then it's fraud?

Riddle me this: Do you think, even for a second, that if the store was aware of these activities schemes, they wouldn't perma-ban them?

Think about it.

If after having thought about it, you think not, take a jaunt over to FWF and see for yourself :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »
Riddle me this: Do you think, even for a second, that if the store was aware of these activities schemes, they wouldn't perma-ban them?
That's why said members (including HelpMe) have been banned from so many stores and payment processors, and they even brag about it.
The trick IMHO is to know your limits.  To make bank without losing the privilege of shopping at Costco for the rest of your life.

Anyway I do agree with the sentiment that ethical discussion should be contained within an ethical discussion thread.  There's no need to start questioning every time if something is ethical, as quite frankly that can apply to every single thread.  Is churning ethical?  Is status matching ethical?  Is flying on mistake fares ethical?  There's no end to it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »
Anyway I do agree with the sentiment that ethical discussion should be contained within an ethical discussion thread.  There's no need to start questioning every time if something is ethical, as quite frankly that can apply to every single thread.  Is churning ethical?  Is status matching ethical?  Is flying on mistake fares ethical?  There's no end to it.
I think that's kinda what "HelpMe" was trying to say with this post:
Ethical behavior and any deals forum have very little in common.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »
That's why said members (including HelpMe) have been banned from so many stores and payment processors, and they even brag about it.
The trick IMHO is to know your limits.  To make bank without losing the privilege of shopping at Costco for the rest of your life.

+1

To many threads get off topic and talk about ethical....

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »

I'd agree, but I reserve the right to comment on (and question) posts which so fly in the face of accepted norms that they don't pass even the "smell" test.

Use some common sense... f'real.

I think that's kinda what "HelpMe" was trying to say with this post:
Ethical behavior and any deals forum have very little in common.

That's still an inane comment, IMHO.

...for host of reasons.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2012, 01:00:39 AM »

Anyway I do agree with the sentiment that ethical discussion should be contained within an ethical discussion thread.
There's no need to start questioning every time if something is ethical, as quite frankly that can apply to every single thread.  Is churning ethical?  Is status matching ethical?  Is flying on mistake fares ethical?  There's no end to it.

I've been saying this forever.

You're (virtually) the only one in place who can set this up. Can we please get an ethics (halacha?) forum where people can hash these things out ad infinitum/nauseum?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
Now this is pretty funny. I get hammered for not providing more information then when I do I get it thrown back in my face that I am bragging.

What most members are doing with payment processors is against their T&C’s. It does not matter if you are doing it for $1 or 10k it is still against the T&C’s. I know ahead of time at some point I will be banned by a payment processor so others can learn what the limit might be. Is this a bad thing?

Buying items and returning them just to earn points/miles was talked on this forum before I joined. Where was the outrage then? Is this just a case where it is OK to steal a little but not OK to do it for large amounts?

I try to look at everything with an open mind. I was hoping it was just my style of posting that is the cause of all the hatred towards me. It gets to a point you have to start looking for other reasons. Maybe I will watch the first two episodes of Verplanck to see if I can find the answer.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »
You are correct about the payment processing, which is why I don't do them. I think the outrage in this thread comes from your statement about lack odd ethics.

In general it probably comes from the scale which you are doing it on which I agree with you has no effect on its ethics and because you do it systematically
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Now this is pretty funny. I get hammered for not providing more information then when I do I get it thrown back in my face that I am bragging.
Didn't mean to say you bragged about it, I was referring to the threads on FWF where people are practically giddy about about how many bans they have.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
I think the outrage in this thread comes from your statement about lack odd ethics.
Hopefully you and some others realize that I originally did not choose the best words to make my point and did my best to clear it up.