Author Topic: Bought on sale and got back more  (Read 12513 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
Re: Bought on sale and got back more
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2012, 01:00:39 AM »

Anyway I do agree with the sentiment that ethical discussion should be contained within an ethical discussion thread.
There's no need to start questioning every time if something is ethical, as quite frankly that can apply to every single thread.  Is churning ethical?  Is status matching ethical?  Is flying on mistake fares ethical?  There's no end to it.

I've been saying this forever.

You're (virtually) the only one in place who can set this up. Can we please get an ethics (halacha?) forum where people can hash these things out ad infinitum/nauseum?
PGF24BMGS

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
That's why said members (including HelpMe) have been banned from so many stores and payment processors, and they even brag about it.
The trick IMHO is to know your limits.  To make bank without losing the privilege of shopping at Costco for the rest of your life.
Now this is pretty funny. I get hammered for not providing more information then when I do I get it thrown back in my face that I am bragging.

What most members are doing with payment processors is against their T&Cís. It does not matter if you are doing it for $1 or 10k it is still against the T&Cís. I know ahead of time at some point I will be banned by a payment processor so others can learn what the limit might be. Is this a bad thing?

Buying items and returning them just to earn points/miles was talked on this forum before I joined. Where was the outrage then? Is this just a case where it is OK to steal a little but not OK to do it for large amounts?

I try to look at everything with an open mind. I was hoping it was just my style of posting that is the cause of all the hatred towards me. It gets to a point you have to start looking for other reasons. Maybe I will watch the first two episodes of Verplanck to see if I can find the answer.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Online Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »
You are correct about the payment processing, which is why I don't do them. I think the outrage in this thread comes from your statement about lack odd ethics.

In general it probably comes from the scale which you are doing it on which I agree with you has no effect on its ethics and because you do it systematically
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Now this is pretty funny. I get hammered for not providing more information then when I do I get it thrown back in my face that I am bragging.
Didn't mean to say you bragged about it, I was referring to the threads on FWF where people are practically giddy about about how many bans they have.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
I think the outrage in this thread comes from your statement about lack odd ethics.
Hopefully you and some others realize that I originally did not choose the best words to make my point and did my best to clear it up.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Didn't mean to say you bragged about it, I was referring to the threads on FWF where people are practically giddy about about how many bans they have.
I think we both can agree that FWF is a very different type of forum.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Buying items and returning them just to earn points/miles was talked on this forum before I joined. Where was the outrage then? Is this just a case where it is OK to steal a little but not OK to do it for large amounts?
There has been outrage before on that very subject.

And I agree that technically there's no difference between $1 and $1M ethically.  But practically there is a difference, hence why you got banned from Costco and other stores et al and people here are not.  There's a line that gets crossed that I would rather not cross.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
I think we both can agree that FWF is a very different type of forum.
Not really, we just have different ideas of how far to push the system and the best way to milk the system.
My motto is pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I think most here prefer getting fat without the slaughtered part, while people there (including you) would rather push everything to an extreme and just get slaughtered in the process.  Not smart IMHO as I'd rather still be welcome to use those services for legit reasons in the future, but to each their own.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
Not really, we just have different ideas of how far to push the system and the best way to milk the system.

I think most here prefer getting fat without the slaughtered part, while people there (including you) would rather push everything to an extreme and just get slaughtered in the process.  Not smart IMHO as I'd rather still be welcome to use those services for legit reasons in the future, but to each their own.
+1
Well said.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle, HHonors Gold, Platinum Medallion, United 1k, AA Executive Platinum
Bought on sale and got back more
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Like :)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »

We really should be careful with generalizations. I already made that mistake in this thread. While I will push some deals to the limit, I am also ultra conservative when it comes to CC applications. This is the main reason I have never had AA from a CC company.

Knowing what will happen ahead of time is a great advantage on a deal. You then make your own decision based on risk vs reward. Take Costco for example, you donít need to be a member to shop there. You can show a Costco cash card and be admitted. So is there anything really lost if they revoke your membership?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
I am also ultra conservative when it comes to CC applications. This is the main reason I have never had AA from a CC company.
That's your loss.  I've probably opened 500 credit cards over the past 7 years to the tune of 8 figures worth of miles and never gotten a single card closed on me.

Knowing what will happen ahead of time is a great advantage on a deal. You then make your own decision based on risk vs reward. Take Costco for example, you donít need to be a member to shop there. You can show a Costco cash card and be admitted. So is there anything really lost if they revoke your membership?
Let me know how you shop on Costco.com.
Or try to return things to a store.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
That's your loss.  I've probably opened 500 credit cards over the past 7 years to the tune of 8 figures worth of miles and never gotten a single card closed on me.
I will try and put this so we donít have to rehash anything. A high cash back card is too valuable to me to risk any chance of a denial.

Let me know how you shop on Costco.com.
Or try to return things to a store.
What I refer to as a Costco ban is not that bad. Membership under one of my businesses is not a problem.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
I will try and put this so we donít have to rehash anything. A high cash back card is too valuable to me to risk any chance of a denial.
What I refer to as a Costco ban is not that bad. Membership under one of my businesses is not a problem.
See that's where you and sd/fwf go wrong.  Having no clue whatsoever about the worth of an airline mile.

And I've read about folk whose address is perma-banned from Costco, etc.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
See that's where you and sd/fwf go wrong.  Having no clue whatsoever about the worth of an airline mile.

And I've read about folk whose address is perma-banned from Costco, etc.
Please donít lump FWF with SD. FW does have a hot deals forum that can be lumped with SD.
If I am welcome maybe I will show up at one of your DOís and then you can judge me on if I know what an airline mile is worth.

For Costco you can use a PO Box or PMB. Anyway I have different addresses for my businesses.