Author Topic: Fake Amazon Reviews, We Are Coming  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Sum Dum Goy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Fake Amazon Reviews, We Are Coming
« on: October 21, 2021, 03:13:29 AM »
As you probably know, there is a big issue with Amazon reviews not being trustworthy due to a large number of fake reviews placed on products through reviewer manipulation. I have gone quite far down the rabbit hole of the massive fake-review industry, and I would like to share my findings here in the hope that some keyboard vigilantes will help me take down some of these operations.

The way the process usually goes is as follows:
The seller orders a certain number of five-star reviews from a fake review operation.
The manager of the operation sends the orders to freelance workers who attract reviewers, primarily through Facebook and Telegram.
The reviewers are asked to provide the email associated with their PayPal account and the link to their amazon public profile.
The freelance worker sends them a link to the item.
The reviewer orders the item and sends a screenshot of the order confirmation.
All of this information is relayed back to the manager.
After the reviewer receives the item, they write a five-star review.
After the review goes live, the manager checks the reviewer's amazon profile to confirm that a five-star review was written, and sends a full refund for the item to the reviewer, and sometimes an additional commission of around $30
The freelance workers receive a small commission on each review, sometimes less than a dollar.
The manager charges the seller the cost of refunding the reviewers, as well as a commission of a few dollars per review.

Nearly all of the fake review operations are run from China, which is no surprise. They communicate internally through WeChat or Telegram.
They are usually not the brightest, and I have pulled quite a few good ones on these guys, more on that soon.
They are persistent as anything and are constantly hounding reviewers to review more and more items.
They usually want reviews for newly listed items that have no reviews.

Now for what we can do. It's really very simple. You ask to review the items and after they pay out the refund, you delete your five-star review and replace it with an honest one. You report the seller's Amazon accounts to Amazon. You report the PayPal account that you receive the payment from to Paypal. PayPal is especially good with removing scams from their service and often bans their accounts after seeing screenshots of incriminating conversations. It is also quite easy to get these guys to reveal information such as the contact info of their managers and the identity of their other reviewers. They are so gullible that I actually counter-scammed one scammer for hundreds of dollars by claiming that a competing seller was paying me more than he was to change my review. Of course, there was no competing seller, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I also convinced him to change his name on Telegram to Jedigl Margoon, telling him that it was an American name and would make him sound more trustworthy.

My goal is to make these guys lose so many Amazon and PayPal accounts, and so much money that they will be forced to shut down their operation. I have some big ideas for this project, such a creating a browser plugin that would take data from a database of suspicious sellers and items and warn users of fake reviews before they check out. If you are interested in some scam-baiting (and a whole lot of free Chinese junk) let me know and I can direct you to some of these operations to start on.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:02:26 PM by Sum Dum Goy »

Offline Sum Dum Goy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fake Amazon Reviews, We Are Coming
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »
Update: I am working on accessing the main portal used to run this scam. Once I am in, I think I will gain a lot more insight into this operation. The system that they use is called extremeenablers.com in case you are interested in trying to get in yourself.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »
I wonder how google knows ?

;)

Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:49:34 PM »
As you probably know, there is a big issue with Amazon reviews not being trustworthy due to a large number of fake reviews placed on products through reviewer manipulation. I have gone quite far down the rabbit hole of the massive fake-review industry, and I would like to share my findings here in the hope that some keyboard vigilantes will help me take down some of these operations.

The seller orders a certain number of five-star reviews from a fake review operation.
The manager of the operation sends the orders to freelance workers who attract reviewers, primarily through Facebook and Telegram.
The reviewers are asked to provide the email associated with their PayPal account and the link to their amazon public profile.
After the review goes live, the manager checks the reviewer's amazon profile to confirm that a five-star review was written, and sends a full refund for the item to the reviewer, and sometimes an additional commission of around $30
The freelance workers receive a small commission on each review, sometimes less than a dollar.
The manager charges the seller the cost of refunding the reviewers, as well as a commission of a few dollars per review.

Nearly all of the fake review operations are run from China, which is no surprise. They communicate internally through WeChat or Telegram.
They are usually not the brightest, and I have pulled quite a few good ones on these guys, more on that soon.
They are persistent as anything and are constantly hounding reviewers to review more and more items.

Now for what we can do. It's really very simple. You ask to review the items and after they pay out the refund, you delete your five-star review and replace it with an honest one. You report the seller's Amazon accounts to Amazon. You report the PayPal account that you receive the payment from to Paypal. PayPal is especially good with removing scams from their service and often bans their accounts after seeing screenshots of incriminating conversations. It is also quite easy to get these guys to reveal information such as the contact info of their managers and the identity of their other reviewers. They are so gullible that I actually counter-scammed one scammer for hundreds of dollars by claiming that a competing seller was paying me more than he was to change my review. Of course, there was no competing seller, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I also convinced him to change his name on Telegram to Jedigl Margoon, telling him that it was an American name and would make him sound more trustworthy.

My goal is to make these guys lose so many Amazon and PayPal accounts, and so much money that they will be forced to shut down their operation. I have some big ideas for this project, such a creating a browser plugin that would take data from a database of suspicious sellers and items and warn users of fake reviews before they check out. If you are interested in some scam-baiting (and a whole lot of free Chinese junk) let me know and I can direct you to some of these operations to start on.
Love this.

And scam baiting.

Great initiative.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
There are some long time DDFers that engage in similar practices, though at a much smaller scale.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »

This is great, happy I found this thread and keep up the great work. Fake reviews hurt consumers and hurt legitimate sellers. It's good to know Amazon is finally taking some initiative against fake reviews, rebatekey and elitesellers lost access to the API recently, and thousands of large seller accounts were suspended for fake reviews. They're also de-ranking products that received fake reviews.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 05:26:30 PM »
There are some long time DDFers that engage in similar practices, though at a much smaller scale.

I don't like to judge anyone unfavorably about this as there are some gray areas and fair excuses, but I definitely enjoy seeing these practices getting cracked down on. Though it would be much more enjoyable to see these sellers start following the rules and succeed the good ol' fashioned way.
Visibly Jewish

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
This made me smile, the only downside I see is that as @Euclid mentioned it is also a practice in our community. Cracking down on them altogether could instead help Amazon sell their own products and obliterate many third party listings, Chinese or not.

Online Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »

We are amazon seller who has some free products :) we want to find a few ppl for some products to test and leave a review for. full refund, cover paypal fee and tax.

Here's the contact info.

Pls reach out to us before purchasing to make sure we still needs that item to be reviewed.

You can email us at;

lynette.lai@outlook.com

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »

it doesn’t say fake review maybe it’s real review