Author Topic: shulcloud and other shul management systems: experiences & recommendations  (Read 5048 times)

Offline talmid chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
as someone with experience with the needs of a shul in software, &  I understand some coding. I have spoken to a few online shul management systems.

Donary is on to something, but meanwhile its not prefect for s shul, so I wouldn't use them currently, they keep on telling me for the last half year that within the next few weeks its going to be useful for a shul, but meanwhile its not, once it is, I think it will be a very good option. Con is that they are very pricey for a shul that only needs it to manage a shul, they have a lot of features that maybe justify the price, but a shul doesn't need most of the features, so its not justified price for them.

I heard that banquest is working on a shul software/website that will be very decently priced, but i never spoke with them.

I have spoken with shulspace (bitbean) at length, a ton of features are missing, ifeel that they are very good, but seems like the are missing salt & pepper.

So meanwhile I'm still using an access based software, as I am not willing to switch to something that's not %100 useful for us, I'm not switching from 1 unuseful thing (the access DB) to another thing that's not useful (websites), once something will be prefect, I'll gelidly switch
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:43:45 PM by talmid chuchem »

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
as someone with experience with the needs of a shul in software, &  I understand some coding. I have spoken to a few online shul management systems.

Donary is on to something, but meanwhile its not prefect for s shul, so I wouldn't use them currently, they keep on telling me for the last half year that within the next few weeks its going to be useful for a shul, but meanwhile its not, once it is, I think it will be a very good option. Con is that they are very pricey for a shul that only needs it to manage a shul, they have a lot of features that maybe justify the price, but a shul doesn't need most of the features, so its not justified price for them.

I heard that banquest is working on a shul software/website that will be very decently priced, but i never spoke with them.

I have spoken with shulcloud at length, a ton of features are missing, ifeel that they are very good, but seems like the are missing salt & pepper.

So meanwhile I'm still using an access based software, as I am not willing to switch to something that's not %100 useful for us, I'm not switching from 1 unuseful thing (the access DB) to another thing that's not useful (websites), once something will be prefect, I'll gelidly switch
What software are you currently using?
["-"]

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
What software are you currently using?
a custom access software

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile

I have spoken with shulspace (bitbean) at length, a ton of features are missing, ifeel that they are very good, but seems like the are missing salt & pepper.

I updated my post, I Spoke to shulspace, not shul cloud. (shul cloud is to expensive for me)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
a custom access software

If it was written for your Shul, you might consider reselling it. Even if it isn’t perfect, if it works and is only a one-time cost, Shuls might be interested.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I updated my post, I Spoke to shulspace, not shul cloud. (shul cloud is to expensive for me)
I believe this is the issue most average shuls have, to small to pay for a good product
["-"]

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
I believe this is the issue most average shuls have, to small to pay for a good product

To say it differently, developing, maintaining, supporting, and hosting, the software needs of a small Shul is cost prohibitive.

Generally speaking with Frum clientele they’ll be very picky if they’re paying for something, will want it customized to the nth degree for every rare minhag practiced in their Shul, and expect endless customer service/tech support, all for the low price of $9.99/month.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:26:40 PM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
I don’t know anything about shul software but looking at what shul cloud provides in terms of features, it doesn’t seem expensive at all. The amount of time saved should pay for itself many times over. And optimizing the invoicing/donation process will easily increase revenue as well.

ETA: A lower priced competitor would have to strip out a number of features to compete
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:49:49 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Sounds like someone needs to build something on Salesforce
@Yo ssi

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
To say it differently, developing, maintaining, supporting, and hosting, the software needs of a small Shul is cost prohibitive.

Generally speaking with Frum clientele they’ll be very picky if they’re paying for something, will want it customized to the nth degree for every rare minhag practiced in their Shul, and expect endless customer service/tech support, all for the low price of $9.99/month.
Not true.
Most average shuls understand that you won't get customization at a low price.
You can charge for support & customization, for anyone that wants, but why charge everyone a hefty fee. #everyonePaysForACouple #Lufthansa

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
Sounds like someone needs to build something on Salesforce
@Yo ssi
Shh, it's a secret🤫
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
If trying to save money why not use a church management software? Something like Breeze https://www.breezechms.com/

Or something on this list- https://www.capterra.com/church-management-software/
Visibly Jewish

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
If trying to save money why not use a church management software? Something like Breeze https://www.breezechms.com/

Or something on this list- https://www.capterra.com/church-management-software/
Does a church sell aliyos?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
Does a church sell aliyos?

An aliyah is a donation with a different name. You want cheap software you can’t be picky and won’t get every single possible feature.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Jellybelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
An aliyah is a donation with a different name.
Does that mean we can use Maser money? 😜

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
Being a programmer and a former Gabbai that was stuck without something good, I've had a project on my back burner for a while, I have a full roadmap of what I want (and even have an investor). Seems like I should really get something up since there's a bigger need than what I thought...
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
Being a programmer and a former Gabbai that was stuck without something good, I've had a project on my back burner for a while, I have a full roadmap of what I want (and even have an investor). Seems like I should really get something up since there's a bigger need than what I thought...
Have you seen this? https://github.com/ShomreiTorah

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
Have you seen this? https://github.com/ShomreiTorah
I haven't until now, this seems to be quite old (requires VS 2012 and .Net 4.0).

I have a lot more in plan, a robust Shul system is more than just a calendar and billing system
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com

I have a lot more in plan, a robust Shul system is more than just a calendar and billing system
From the posts here it looks like it would be beneficial to make it scalable so smaller places can get more of a bare bones system for cheaper and pay for more features

Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
From the posts here it looks like it would be beneficial to make it scalable so smaller places can get more of a bare bones system for cheaper and pay for more features
Definitely, a simple system with possible add-ons and features
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info