Author Topic: How cautious do I need to be about carry-on dimensions?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
How cautious do I need to be about carry-on dimensions?
« on: October 24, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
I apologize if this has been covered, I came here looking sure I would find it having been discussed at length but didn't find anything when I searched.

I am looking to get a good quality durable carry on garment bag duffel combo and I am noticing that many of the pieces that are officially marketed as carry ons are a little bigger than the official dimensions allowed.

One specific example to illustrate:
I have seen this Stitchgolf Ultimate Garment Bag recommended in some reviews as a good option for a good quality carry on garment bag, but the dimensions are 22.5" x 11.5" x 12" which make it too big for Delta's official policy which limits carry ons to 22" x 14" x 9.

The thing that actually brought this to my attention is that Stitchgolf is clearly particular about being responsible and explicitly says "Check your airline for current carry-on requirements" in the description. I then checked out some others and the big players (like Briggs and Riley, Travelpro, and Lat_56) and found that they have been particular to keep their carry-on products within the the common official requirements.

When people recommend something like the Stitchgolf Ultimate Garment Bag as a carry on are they being irresponsible, or is there effectively no real risk that it will not be allowed as a carry-on for any normal flight?

If it is safe to go a few inches over the official limit it opens up many more options and allows substantially more to fit in the duffel's interior, but if taking a bag like this to carry-on carries any realistic risk of it needing to be checked I would rather choose from among the more limited safe options. I don't travel that often, but when I do it is usually to earn my families bread and it is on a tight schedule. Having to wait for luggage because I had to check my carry on could ruin an overnight trip on a tight schedule and would not be worth it for me.

If it is safe to take something like this that is over one of the dimensions by 2.5", how much further is it safe to push it?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: How cautious do I need to be about carry-on dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 02:55:03 PM »
If you’re planning on using this for travel with regular US airlines, you should be fine.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 04:45:20 PM »
But if you plan on using it for spirit or frontier you'll have a whole lot of trouble.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »
Thank you!!

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 11:54:21 PM »
I apologize if this has been covered, I came here looking sure I would find it having been discussed at length but didn't find anything when I searched.

I am looking to get a good quality durable carry on garment bag duffel combo and I am noticing that many of the pieces that are officially marketed as carry ons are a little bigger than the official dimensions allowed.

One specific example to illustrate:
I have seen this Stitchgolf Ultimate Garment Bag recommended in some reviews as a good option for a good quality carry on garment bag, but the dimensions are 22.5" x 11.5" x 12" which make it too big for Delta's official policy which limits carry ons to 22" x 14" x 9.

The thing that actually brought this to my attention is that Stitchgolf is clearly particular about being responsible and explicitly says "Check your airline for current carry-on requirements" in the description. I then checked out some others and the big players (like Briggs and Riley, Travelpro, and Lat_56) and found that they have been particular to keep their carry-on products within the the common official requirements.

When people recommend something like the Stitchgolf Ultimate Garment Bag as a carry on are they being irresponsible, or is there effectively no real risk that it will not be allowed as a carry-on for any normal flight?

If it is safe to go a few inches over the official limit it opens up many more options and allows substantially more to fit in the duffel's interior, but if taking a bag like this to carry-on carries any realistic risk of it needing to be checked I would rather choose from among the more limited safe options. I don't travel that often, but when I do it is usually to earn my families bread and it is on a tight schedule. Having to wait for luggage because I had to check my carry on could ruin an overnight trip on a tight schedule and would not be worth it for me.

If it is safe to take something like this that is over one of the dimensions by 2.5", how much further is it safe to push it?
I find that airlines outside of the US are more particular

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 12:24:23 AM »
I find that airlines outside of the US are more particular

For instance, SAA, a"h, would sometimes require the carry on pieces to be approved and tagged at check in, and you couldn't take on a piece that wasn't tagged.

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »
For instance, SAA, a"h, would sometimes require the carry on pieces to be approved and tagged at check in, and you couldn't take on a piece that wasn't tagged.
Same with BA and VS

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »
In such a case don’t show them the carry-on and show them a briefcase or something that will pass as a personal item. Then transfer the tag.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 09:44:46 AM »
In such a case don’t show them the carry-on and show them a briefcase or something that will pass as a personal item. Then transfer the tag.

And if you get thirsty on the plane, as the cart passes by try to reach in quietly and grab a diet coke.

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 01:23:58 PM »
Same with BA and VS

the last few times I flew with Ba or VA they didn't tag the carry ons.

To the OP: It depends on the airline, and the airport. based on my experiences, on legacy airlines you will have a harder time (with any luggage issue) in an airport where the staff work for the airline as opposed to one where they work for the airport. (ELAL is harder in TLV, DL is harder in JFK, VA is harder in LHR). On LLC's, baggage fees are part of the business model...if it doesnt fit, you'll probobly pay.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »
the last few times I flew with Ba or VA they didn't tag the carry ons.

To the OP: It depends on the airline, and the airport. based on my experiences, on legacy airlines you will have a harder time (with any luggage issue) in an airport where the staff work for the airline as opposed to one where they work for the airport. (ELAL is harder in TLV, DL is harder in JFK, VA is harder in LHR).
Thank you!

(My upcoming flight is actually from JFK with Delta 😬😬)
(And I just ordered the stitch golf UGB today [currently 30% off])

On LLC's, baggage fees are part of the business model...if it doesnt fit, you'll probobly pay.

I wouldn’t even mind paying that much if they would let me take it into the cabin with me. My primary issue is not the fee it’s the wait. I’d happily pay $25 to be able to walk off the plane and out of the airport without having to deal with waiting for luggage etc.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »
Incidentally, if anyone is interested in a high quality duffle style garment bag carry-on, the Stitchgolf Ultimate Garment Bag is currently 30% off with coupon code BETTERTHANCANDY.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
Would I be able to get away with bringing this together with an additional regular size carry on spinner, counting (either) this (or the spinner) officially as my personal item?

Or am I pushing my luck?