Author Topic: Confusing UA Baggage Restrictions  (Read 729 times)

Offline michalne

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Confusing UA Baggage Restrictions
« on: March 05, 2021, 05:43:07 PM »
Flying Basic Economy to Cancun next week. Go an email saying I'd have to pay for carry on because I'm in BE. However their website FAQ excludes Mexico (see below). Which is right? Called United the rep initially said carry on isn't permitted then when I showed her the below said it is, and free. I had her put it in writing on my reservation but I have a feeling they will disregard that and charge me at the airport. She swore that won't happen but I dont have anything in writing. WDYT?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/basic-economy.html
"Full-sized carry-on bags are not permitted on select routes
On trans-Atlantic flights to and from the U.S., Mexico and Central America, as well as to and from El Salvador, Panama and South America, your carry-on baggage allowance is the same as for standard Economy tickets.

For all other Basic Economy tickets, you're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. Everyone else who brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge."

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing UA Baggage Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 08:49:41 AM »
On trans-Atlantic flights to and from the U.S., Mexico and Central America, as well as to and from El Salvador, Panama and South America, your carry-on baggage allowance is the same as for standard Economy tickets.

For all other Basic Economy tickets, you're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag ...
Just for clarification. It doesn't say flights to or from Mexico.

It says trans-atlantic flights to or from Mexico.

So a flight from US to Mexico would have basic economy restrictions.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-