Author Topic: Newlywed sephardic woman in brooklyn discovers her husband may be muslim  (Read 34990 times)

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Newlywed sephardic woman in brooklyn discovers her husband may be muslim
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2021, 04:47:56 PM »
In other countries, ie Europe, Israel, Australia, South Africa no Rov will be mesader kiddushin if there is no shtar from the local Beis Din authorising the marriage.
One has to bring in birth certificates, marriage certificates / kesubah of parents and grandparents.
There have even been cases in several batei din around the world who have annulled certain shady geirus (mainly from Israel - Geirus which were  given because they had made aliya even though there was no kabblas mitzvos ???) when these ppl wanted to get married.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2021, 05:38:22 PM »
There have even been cases in several batei din around the world who have annulled certain shady geirus (mainly from Israel - Geirus which were  given because they had made aliya even though there was no kabblas mitzvos ???) when these ppl wanted to get married.

How about the story of Chava Ginsburg who got in a relationship with a gentile in pre-war Poland, who later converted and took on the name Avraham Borokovsky.  After the war, their marriage dissolved, and she remarried  without obtaining a get, and didn't inform beis din that she was previously married. Beis Din later discovered that and declared her children from 2nd husband to be mamzerim. This became the infamous Langer case.

See: https://www.koltorah.org/halachah/great-controversy-in-israeli-batei-din-the-langer-case-by-benzion-rotblat-21

Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman from Passaic gave a shiur on this on Tisha B'av - https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=157514 "The Psak Halacha Which Shook The Torah World"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:18:24 PM by Saulius »

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »
One has to bring in birth certificates, marriage certificates / kesubah of parents and grandparents.
while there is no comparable central authority in the US, mesadrei kidushin should be doing the same due diligence... (or getting that same 'ishur' from some of the larger/more central botei din who do this and have the relevant experience)

Offline neveryou

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2021, 08:45:24 PM »
while there is no comparable central authority in the US, mesadrei kidushin should be doing the same due diligence... (or getting that same 'ishur' from some of the larger/more central botei din who do this and have the relevant experience)
Most rabanim in usa do due diligence
I had to show my parents kesuba

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »
that's what happens when a twersky doesn't marry a twerski

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2021, 09:19:48 PM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/general/2026514/breaking-nypd-confirms-no-terror-threat-regarding-eliyah-haliwa-who-is-confirmed-as-non-jew.html

The FBI, NYPD Intel Division, NYPD JTTF (Joint Terrorism Task Force, and ICE officials have interviewed Eliya Haliwa, and confirmed that he does not have any connections to terror groups, contrary to rumors otherwise.

“There is no credible threat to the Jewish community and there are no ties to this situation and terrorism,” the NYPD Deputy Inspector Richie Taylor, Commanding Officer of Community Affairs, Office of the Chief of Community Affairs told YWN in a statement.

Additionally, highly credible sources have confirmed to YWN that Haliwa has admitted both to the NYPD and to his Jewish wife that he is not Jewish. Our sources say that he claims he is not an anti-Semite, and in fact married into the Jewish community because he wants to be Jewish himself.

Why he didn’t go through the regular process of geirus remains a mystery.

YWN has also confirmed that Haliwa has never been to Israel and that he has never worked for the NSA, as he claimed to his wife. He is in fact in possession of two passports as YWN has previously reported. It has been determined that both his Lebanese passport and his United States passports are valid.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/general/2026514/breaking-nypd-confirms-no-terror-threat-regarding-eliyah-haliwa-who-is-confirmed-as-non-jew.html

The FBI, NYPD Intel Division, NYPD JTTF (Joint Terrorism Task Force, and ICE officials have interviewed Eliya Haliwa, and confirmed that he does not have any connections to terror groups, contrary to rumors otherwise.

“There is no credible threat to the Jewish community and there are no ties to this situation and terrorism,” the NYPD Deputy Inspector Richie Taylor, Commanding Officer of Community Affairs, Office of the Chief of Community Affairs told YWN in a statement.

Additionally, highly credible sources have confirmed to YWN that Haliwa has admitted both to the NYPD and to his Jewish wife that he is not Jewish. Our sources say that he claims he is not an anti-Semite, and in fact married into the Jewish community because he wants to be Jewish himself.

Why he didn’t go through the regular process of geirus remains a mystery.

YWN has also confirmed that Haliwa has never been to Israel and that he has never worked for the NSA, as he claimed to his wife. He is in fact in possession of two passports as YWN has previously reported. It has been determined that both his Lebanese passport and his United States passports are valid.

I wonder if this will end up being not going through giyur because then he wouldn't be able to marry into the Syrian community, משא"כ if he manages to pull off such a stunt of posing as a Jew.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2021, 10:06:52 PM »
+1

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2021, 04:47:40 AM »

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
- Rabbi from Lakewood  who officiated the wedding of the Lebanese man who turned out not to be jewish takes full responsibility and says he was fooled by this man  and it was a mistake on his part for not investigating the authenticity of him as a Jew. He begs forgiveness from the Syrian community and pledged going further there will be changes. .

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2021, 07:21:21 PM »

Visibly Jewish

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2021, 09:02:46 PM »
Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman from Passaic gave a shiur on this on Tisha B'av - https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=157514 "The Psak Halacha Which Shook The Torah World"
wow Just fascinating is there anyway I can hear more of his speeches? Torah anytime only has 7
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2021, 11:37:45 PM »
wow Just fascinating is there anyway I can hear more of his speeches? Torah anytime only has 7
His shul's website is glitchy, but eventually you should be able to find here: https://www.ahavasisrael.org/torah/download_shiurim
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline shmoe joe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2021, 11:54:54 PM »
His shul's website is glitchy, but eventually you should be able to find here: https://www.ahavasisrael.org/torah/download_shiurim
thanks though very glitchy
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »

During the covid time when most of the shuls were closed, the Rav was giving very interesting shiurim every Sunday morning on Zoom - and there was a link on the website where one was able to download them in MP4 format, but that page has disappeared.

Scanning my e-mails, I have download links for many of the shiurim sourced from zoom.us  URL-- - since it's irrelevant to this thread, send me a PM and I will share what I have.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2021, 07:27:25 AM »
During the covid time when most of the shuls were closed, the Rav was giving very interesting shiurim every Sunday morning on Zoom - and there was a link on the website where one was able to download them in MP4 format, but that page has disappeared.

Scanning my e-mails, I have download links for many of the shiurim sourced from zoom.us  URL-- - since it's irrelevant to this thread, send me a PM and I will share what I have.

If the links were taken down and you want to have these shiurim, you might want to download them before the Zoom links break...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »
Fascinating! I starting listening thinking that there is no way I'm going to get through a 2+ hour shuir, but I was  hooked until the end. It took me the whole day, my free time, but it was well worth it!

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
Fascinating! I starting listening thinking that there is no way I'm going to get through a 2+ hour shuir, but I was  hooked until the end. It took me the whole day, my free time, but it was well worth it!
OK, you got me. Starting to listen. Question-is this something that I shouldn't listen to at work, where ainu-yehudi will be able to hear it (I have my own office but the doors are always open)?

Offline joeberg

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Pro Tip- listen on 2X.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »

A tremendous public thank you to Saulius for going above and beyond to PM me the links. One link was not downloadable to me, so he uploaded the file to Google Drive and sent it to me.

ישלם ה' פעלך ותהי משכורתך שלמה