Author Topic: Granting Visas to Immigrants to address Labor Shortages  (Read 3066 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Granting Visas to Immigrants to address Labor Shortages
« on: November 12, 2021, 12:51:48 AM »
Currently there’s a huge labor shortage in many industries, notably in retail, food, and trucking industry. There’s also a huge illegal immigration issue - regardless of your political leanings, there’s way too many people crossing illegally.

Why not create a path towards legal citizenship by giving immigrants opportunities in industries that are underserved by the American workforce? Grant work visas to anyone with sufficient training with an employer sponsor. And after 4-5 years grant a green card so they can settle down and build a family after they have proven themselves.

Personally have never been against immigration, my issue is the US makes it extremely difficult to immigrate legally, promoting only the most lawless and desperate to immigrate, becoming a welfare and criminal burden on society.

Create a system where people can immigrate, contribute and not rely on welfare or tax evasion, and you kill 2 birds with one stone.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Granting Visas to Immigrants to address Labor Shortages
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
Like H1B1 but for blue collar work?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
Like H1B1 but for blue collar work?

AKA H-2B, but I think @yuneeq means as a permanent resident and not only as a temporary worker.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/foreign-labor

November 3, 2021. The Department of Labor’s Response to Stakeholder Requests to Raise the H-2B Visa Cap for the First Half of Fiscal Year 2022

The Department of Labor (Department or DOL) continues to recognize that obtaining a reliable workforce is crucial to meeting the temporary or seasonal labor needs of American businesses. The Department also recognizes how important it is to help Americans get back to work. We are committed to building a modern, inclusive workforce – ensuring all workers have good jobs, fair wages and working conditions, and opportunities for advancement.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets the cap on the annual number of non-citizens who may be issued H-2B visas or otherwise provided H-2B nonimmigrant status to perform temporary non-agricultural work at 66,000, to be distributed semi-annually beginning in October and April (H-2B cap). The Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has the statutory responsibility for determining whether the H-2B cap has been reached in each semi-annual period based on the number of H-2B petitions it receives.

On October 12, 2021, USCIS announced that on September 30, 2021 it had reached the congressionally mandated cap for H-2B visas for temporary nonagricultural workers for the first half of the FY 2022. Except where the H-2B petition qualifies for an exemption from the statutory visa cap, USCIS is currently rejecting new cap-subject petitions received after September 30, 2021 that request an employment start date before April 1, 2022.

While the 33,000 H-2B cap for the first half of FY 2022 has been reached, we encourage every employer seeking workers to visit the almost 2,400 American Job Centers (AJC) nationwide to find and hire talented workers, as well as to train and retain qualified workers. Additionally, the Department recognizes the incredible value of our nation’s veterans and encourages tapping into their skills and talents. There are Veteran Employment Representatives in every AJC across the country who can assist businesses and veterans with their employment needs. You may also consider working with the Department’s Veterans’ Employment and Training Service to facilitate recruitment efforts in the veteran community.

Again, we understand the importance of this issue to both workers and employers. In recent years, Congress has enacted a series of public laws that provided the Secretary of Homeland Security with time-limited, discretionary authority to increase the H-2B cap beyond the number set forth in the INA after consultation with the Secretary of Labor. The Department will continue working collaboratively with our partners at DHS in an ongoing effort to ensure effective operation of the H-2B program.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »

Currently there’s a huge labor shortage in many industries, notably in retail, food, and trucking industry. There’s also a huge illegal immigration issue - regardless of your political leanings, there’s way too many people crossing illegally.

Why not create a path towards legal citizenship by giving immigrants opportunities in industries that are underserved by the American workforce? Grant work visas to anyone with sufficient training with an employer sponsor. And after 4-5 years grant a green card so they can settle down and build a family after they have proven themselves.

Personally have never been against immigration, my issue is the US makes it extremely difficult to immigrate legally, promoting only the most lawless and desperate to immigrate, becoming a welfare and criminal burden on society.

Create a system where people can immigrate, contribute and not rely on welfare or tax evasion, and you kill 2 birds with one stone.

This ain't gonna work with a government that will include in the rules that the employers must pay the menial laborers 30k a year before benefits.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »

This ain't gonna work with a government that will include in the rules that the employers must pay the menial laborers 30k a year before benefits.

Might not work for every industry, but let’s take the trucking industry as an example.

The trucking industry currently has a shortage of 80k drivers, up from 60k shortage before the pandemic. And “ If nothing is done, the latest figures put the industry on track for a shortage of 160,000 drivers by 2030, and the need for 1,000,000 new drivers over the next ten years, according to the American Trucking Associations.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/economy/trucking-short-drivers/index.html

Meanwhile pay for entry level is about 60-70k plus health and other benefits, and can be earning over 100k with experience. The problem is there’s a 90% turnover rate and it’s not about pay. It’s a tough lifestyle that can require being away from your family for weeks at a time, don’t blame people for not taking these jobs.

Immigrants though, often come to the US alone and are willing to sacrifice being away from family and send home their paycheck.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
Not to sound xenophobic, but what prevents these short-term solutions from becoming long-term liabilities?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 07:35:00 PM »
Not to sound xenophobic, but what prevents these short-term solutions from becoming long-term liabilities?

If someone works for 5 years, earns decent money and pays taxes, they’ve proven themselves enough to me. If you need to put aside some money in case they stop contributing after 5 years, take it from what the illegals get.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
If someone works for 5 years, earns decent money and pays taxes, they’ve proven themselves enough to me. If you need to put aside some money in case they stop contributing after 5 years, take it from what the illegals get.

Big if.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
Big if.

If they stop working, you throw them out of the country. A lot easier to track them when they’re documented.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
If they stop working, you throw them out of the country. A lot easier to track them when they’re documented.

Would today’s administration do that? Somehow I doubt it.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 11:13:02 AM »

Would any administration do that (on a mass scale)? The "optics" of rounding people up...

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Granting Visas to Immigrants to address Labor Shortages
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 11:26:50 AM »
Would any administration do that (on a mass scale)? The "optics" of rounding people up...
They already do it for people who have work visas who lose their sponsor. If it's built into the program I don't see it being an optics issue.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 11:47:09 AM »

I doubt it would happen under Biden. Though would like to see if others think it’s a good idea.
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »
Is there a labor shortage?

"I can want a 65-inch TV for $50, but it doesn't mean there's a TV shortage, it means I'm not willing to pay enough to get somebody to sell me a TV,"
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »
Is there a labor shortage?

"I can want a 65-inch TV for $50, but it doesn't mean there's a TV shortage, it means I'm not willing to pay enough to get somebody to sell me a TV,"

Let me get this straight - entry level laborers are worth $200/hr and companies aren’t willing to pay it?
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
Let me get this straight - entry level laborers are worth $200/hr and companies aren’t willing to pay it?
Let me get this straight. You want a dishonest discussion?  ::)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
Let me get this straight. You want a dishonest discussion?  ::)

65” tv costs about $500 or 10x more than what you want to pay. You want the tv, pony up the cash. If employers offer salaries that are 10x higher than what they want to pay ($15-20), then there won’t be a labor shortage.

Excellent example, point well taken.
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »
65” tv costs about $500 or 10x more than what you want to pay. You want the tv, pony up the cash. If employers offer salaries that are 10x higher than what they want to pay ($15-20), then there won’t be a labor shortage.

Excellent example, point well taken.
So you are just being as (insert your own word) as the person who wants to pay 50 for a TV.
Excellent example.  ::)
It was the point being made, not the actual figures.

I remember how the discussion use to be it was the UE benefits that was causing the shortage. Now we know that was just political BS from the right.

You have a massive amount of people choosing to retire early, why? You have many that no longer while accept poverty level wages, smart!

I love the lip service about supply and demand except when it works against you.

Now let's use your example. Pay 200/hr and there will be no labor shortage.  :P

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »
Let me get this straight - entry level laborers are worth $25/hr and companies aren’t willing to pay it?
ftfy

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
ftfy
Now that would be an honest discussion.