Author Topic: Capital One AirBnb Credit  (Read 36678 times)

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Capital One AirBnb Credit
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2022, 01:03:18 PM »
Just beware before you sell ,to clarify how the buyer will charge your card.
Some people on this forum seem to be playing some kind of shtick and are charging the card to a merchant other than airbnb .
I sold mine a couple of weeks ago to @nirc thinking it would be charged to airbnb  and he charged it to a different merchant. According to capitalone the credit is only for airbnb and some similar companies. He now wants me to wait 2 billing cycles to see if the credit goes through and is ignoring my requests for reimbursement.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:08:00 PM by rbs-g1.5 »

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2022, 01:07:32 PM »
does anyone here have recent experience regarding non airbnb charges?
I sold my credit and the buyer charged it to a different company. He thinks it will go through eventually but i am not so sure and want my money back. if anyone has info on this please pm me
Have you reached out to Cap1? They may be able to tell you if it's an eligible charge.
He claims that the telephone reps don't know what they are talking about,and i am afraid that if i do that i will loose the ability to deny the charge  in the event that he continues to deny me a refund

Offline Ankster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
Some people on this forum seem to be playing some kind of shtick and are charging the card to a merchant other than airbnb .
I sold mine a couple of weeks ago to @nirc thinking it would be charged to airbnb  and he charged it to a different merchant. According to capitalone the credit is only for airbnb and some similar companies. He now wants me to wait 2 billing cycles to see if the credit goes through and is ignoring my requests for reimbursement.

Just my opinion but I think that's a bit unethical. I have bought various Airbnb credits on these forums and always make sure to book through the official Airbnb website. I think it is implied that if you are buying a credit that it will be utilized for a charge made for an Airbnb booking. It shouldn't be on the seller to bear the risk.

What does the vendor appear as on your statement? I'm wondering if he booked an Airbnb via a different website (e.g., shopping portal)? That might be a grey area if the vendor didn't code as Airbnb. However, if he booked something completely different than an Airbnb and is expecting the credit to post then I think it is black and white. I would ask to be made whole until the credit officially posts. If he does not respond, you may be within your rights to file a chargeback now vs. waiting for a few months but curious to hear the thoughts of others.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2022, 02:03:05 PM »
Just my opinion but I think that's a bit unethical. I have bought various Airbnb credits on these forums and always make sure to book through the official Airbnb website. I think it is implied that if you are buying a credit that it will be utilized for a charge made for an Airbnb booking. It shouldn't be on the seller to bear the risk.

What does the vendor appear as on your statement? I'm wondering if he booked an Airbnb via a different website (e.g., shopping portal)? That might be a grey area if the vendor didn't code as Airbnb. However, if he booked something completely different than an Airbnb and is expecting the credit to post then I think it is black and white. I would ask to be made whole until the credit officially posts. If he does not respond, you may be within your rights to file a chargeback now vs. waiting for a few months but curious to hear the thoughts of others.
It is something completely different . Is there a way to do a chargeback w/o having them freeze the card until they send me a new one?

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2022, 02:41:04 PM »

It is something completely different . Is there a way to do a chargeback w/o having them freeze the card until they send me a new one?
My two cents:

There's a FT Thread with hundreds of data points (though not well-organized) of merchants that triggered the credit, so I don't think I'd classify booking through another site as 'shtick'. As well, there have been hundreds of DPs here and on FT of Airbnb charges not triggering the credit (I ultimately needed a rep to credit it manually even on a regular Airbnb booking), so I wouldn't get so concerned if you don't see the credit right away.

On the other hand, I'd note that I also bought one on here for use on a non-Airbnb site, and I told the seller upfront that I was using it for a different booking site and that I'd make him whole if it didn't trigger the credit. I think that would be a good thing for a purchaser to do, but also prudent for a seller to ask.

That being the case, personally I'd see this as weak communication on the part of both parties here, so maybe the fair solution is a compromise- the buyer can pay you half the potential loss today, and then you refund him or he pays the rest the rest once this is resolved in two billing cycles.

What I would NOT suggest is jumping to dispute the charge and potentially jeopardizing a buyer's trip, especially as I don't think it's clear-cut at all that you're in the right and he's in the wrong. I would not want to deal with someone who did that to a buyer without exhausting all other avenues to find a compromise.

I'd also note that you're talking about a DDFer who's been on here for 8+ years. What do you think the chances are that he's going to completely stiff you if the credit doesn't trigger after the second statement? That doesn't mitigate his obligation to come to a fair compromise on what to do in the interim, but I don't think I'd view this as an extreme risk.

Lastly, think about the total amount that you have at risk here. Assuming he bought it for ~75% and paid you at least that amount, your risk is $50? Just try to find some sort of compromise until it gets sorted out, rather than jumping to dispute charges.

/.02

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »
My two cents:

There's a FT Thread with hundreds of data points (though not well-organized) of merchants that triggered the credit, so I don't think I'd classify booking through another site as 'shtick'. As well, there have been hundreds of DPs here and on FT of Airbnb charges not triggering the credit (I ultimately needed a rep to credit it manually even on a regular Airbnb booking), so I wouldn't get so concerned if you don't see the credit right away.

On the other hand, I'd note that I also bought one on here for use on a non-Airbnb site, and I told the seller upfront that I was using it for a different booking site and that I'd make him whole if it didn't trigger the credit. I think that would be a good thing for a purchaser to do, but also prudent for a seller to ask.

That being the case, personally I'd see this as weak communication on the part of both parties here, so maybe the fair solution is a compromise- the buyer can pay you half the potential loss today, and then you refund him or he pays the rest the rest once this is resolved in two billing cycles.

What I would NOT suggest is jumping to dispute the charge and potentially jeopardizing a buyer's trip, especially as I don't think it's clear-cut at all that you're in the right and he's in the wrong. I would not want to deal with someone who did that to a buyer without exhausting all other avenues to find a compromise.

/.02
what i meant by shtick is that i am assuming he is making money off of it instead of planning a vacation. I have no problem with him doing that but he shouldnt be charging the card to something not agreed upon in advance. clckpay is not airbnb.
i would appreciate if you would explain where my lack of communication was.when i sold the credit it was as an airbnb credit.if he was planning on doing something else he should have told me. his misuse of my credit card  and continued half ignoring of me are the issue.
Just my opinion but I think that's a bit unethical.I think it is implied that if you are buying a credit that it will be utilized for a charge made for an Airbnb booking. It shouldn't be on the seller to bear the risk.

I'd also note that you're talking about a DDFer who's been on here for 8+ years. What do you think the chances are that he's going to completely stiff you if the credit doesn't trigger after the second statement? That doesn't mitigate his obligation to come to a fair compromise on what to do in the interim, but I don't think I'd view this as an extreme risk.

/.02
the reason i dealt with him  was precisely because he is a well established member here and his username implies that he is a yeshiva graduate.i had other offers as you can see upthread but chose him because i expected ben tora  behavior .

Lastly, think about the total amount that you have at risk here. Assuming he bought it for ~75% and paid you at least that amount, your risk is $50? Just try to find some sort of compromise until it gets sorted out, rather than jumping to dispute charges.

/.02
the sale was 2*200 for 2*125 so my risk is 150 dollars. if i wait two months to see if there will be a credit i risk missing the 1 year anniversary and losing the 400 dollars worth of credit
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:45:47 PM by rbs-g1.5 »

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2022, 03:37:59 PM »
what i meant by shtick is that i am assuming he is making money off of it instead of planning a vacation.
No idea why you'd assume that, or why it's relevant.

he shouldnt be charging the card to something not agreed upon in advance. i would appreciate if you would explain where my lack of communication was.when i sold the credit it was as an airbnb credit.if he was planning on doing something else he should have told me.
See the first paragraph of my post- I explained that this credit is not by nature only for Airbnb. Did you specify that you were selling it only for use on Airbnb, or did you just assume that he was going to use it on Airbnb? If the latter, then that's the lack of communication that I was referring to.

the reason i dealt with him  was precisely because he is a well established member here and his username implies that he is a yeshiva graduate.i had other offers as you can see upthread but chose him because i expected ben tora  behavior .
I'm not sure I understand what's being added here.

if i wait two months to see if there will be a credit i risk missing the 1 year anniversary and losing the 400 dollars worth of credit
See the second paragraph of my post- I explained that there have been hundreds of DPs (including mine) of regular Airbnb charges that took months to post, so this delay may be unrelated to the site that he charged it to. You very well might be in the same exact situation if he made an Airbnb purchase, and I think we'd agree that that would probably be your loss.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2022, 03:50:53 PM »
No idea why you'd assume that, or why it's relevant.
See the first paragraph of my post- I explained that this credit is not by nature only for Airbnb. Did you specify that you were selling it only for use on Airbnb, or did you just assume that he was going to use it on Airbnb? If the latter, then that's the lack of communication that I was referring to.
I'm not sure I understand what's being added here.
See the second paragraph of my post- I explained that there have been hundreds of DPs (including mine) of regular Airbnb charges that took months to post, so this delay may be unrelated to the site that he charged it to. You very well might be in the same exact situation if he made an Airbnb purchase, and I think we'd agree that that would probably be your loss.
this thread is for an airbnb credit.its quite clear that when selling that you expect a charge to airbnb and not something else. If you want to do something else than you have to specify.i am pretty sure thats self evident

Offline Ankster

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2022, 03:51:07 PM »

I agree that this is a fair statement. If he did use it for an Airbnb charge and that credit did not post, I think would ultimately be the seller's loss. He would be responsible for following up with the bank to get the credit to post but the buyer has done nothing wrong so it would be the seller's loss. On the contrary then, if this wasn't utilized for an Airbnb purchase, I think it would be on the buyer to make the seller whole.

Could there be a compromise where the buyer shows the seller that whatever charge he made has underlying data points that point to the credit posting? (I.e., show the true receipt where the charge matches the transaction charge and then various supporting data points). This should be enough to give the seller some more comfort.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:59:47 PM by Ankster »

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2022, 04:14:25 PM »
this thread is for an airbnb credit.its quite clear that when selling that you expect a charge to airbnb and not something else. If you want to do something else than you have to specify.i am pretty sure thats self evident
I'm not sure I agree with that.

Regardless, as I said, I think you should try to find a compromise that works for both parties, and only dispute charges as an extreme last resort if all else fails. If you're closing the card anyway, I stand by my opinion that you might be totally out of luck even if the buyer used Airbnb, so with that in mind maybe offer to split the loss 50/50 and call it a day. Disputing the charge without even offering a compromise would be acting in bad faith, IMHO.

I'll leave you with this thought- zoom out for a moment. There's risk in doing these transactions, and that's part of the game of trying to extract every last dollar from each of your credit cards. If you act prudently you can probably expect most deals to work well, but you'll save yourself a lot of time and agmas nefesh if you're willing to compromise and walk away once in a while.

I don't think I have anything more to say here.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »
As a buyer you might have had other cheshbonos but as a less knowledgeable seller i considered it obvious

Regardless, as I said, I think you should try to find a compromise that works for both parties, and only dispute charges as an extreme last resort if all else fails. If you're closing the card anyway, I stand by my opinion that you might be totally out of luck even if the buyer used Airbnb, so with that in mind maybe offer to split the loss 50/50 and call it a day.
i am not planning on closing the card ,just if i reach the anniversary than i will loose the credit

Regardless, as I said, I think you should try to find a compromise that works for both parties, and only dispute charges as an extreme last resort if all else fails. If you act prudently you can probably expect most deals to work well, but you'll save yourself a lot of time and agmas nefesh if you're willing to compromise and walk away once in a while.
i hear you. My reaction is partly due to the fact that @nirc has not communicated any willingness to compromise or be helpfull.My emails were answered curtly and the closest i got to him acting responsibly was him writing "
i apologize but have done many of these offers so didnt think to bring up.
to my knowledge there is no way to verify
but again, it is not reasonable to expect credit before time stated in terms & conditions has passed"
since then he has simply sterted to ignore me. i dont think that is reasonable behavior that would demand of me to just walk away

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
i am not planning on closing the card ,just if i reach the anniversary than i will loose the credit
Sorry, I didn’t understand that earlier. If it’s an eligible charge, I assume you’ll get the credit as long as the purchase was in the first year, no? (Even if you have to call after the year is over if that’s how long 2 billing cycles take.) And if they tell you at that point that the charge was ineligible then obviously I’d think your buyer should make you whole.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2022, 05:51:57 PM »
so you are saying i should wait 2 months too see if i get the credit and if not i should then only loose my credit due to the anniversary passing but hopefully he will at least make me whole for the initial charge? this all for a charge that a- he admits he should have told me he was making on something other than airbnb b- he says it cant be verified as creditable.(if it was  i would have no problem,but he says dont believe the phone reps )
and this is for a guy who has never seriously engaged me with a considerate response and has started ignoring me.

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2022, 06:33:12 PM »
so you are saying i should wait 2 months too see if i get the credit and if not i should then only loose my credit due to the anniversary passing but hopefully he will at least make me whole for the initial charge? this all for a charge that a- he admits he should have told me he was making on something other than airbnb b- he says it cant be verified as creditable.(if it was  i would have no problem,but he says dont believe the phone reps )
and this is for a guy who has never seriously engaged me with a considerate response and has started ignoring me.

OMG, I wasn't going to respond but enough is enough.

I have been more than courteous to you despite your many rude emails to me demanding a refund while simultaneously threatening me the entire time. Your behavior and attitude is plainly visible for everyone to see just based on the way you write in the forums (and not just in this thread).

Let's go over a few things:

1. I bought from you a "vacation" credit not an Airbnb one. Even the zelle payment clearly stated that - no mention of Airbnb.
2. Terms & conditions offer state that it can take 2 billing cycles to appear, with many DP saying that it can clearly take longer
3. I have already stated more than once that should cap 1 not credit you, I will

So just because you have absolutely no patience to wait for the credit more than a week, doesn't mean I am thief that justifies name calling, bad mouthing in public forum and threats of a chargeback.

I have been a member on this forum for 8+ years with many transactions of all flavors to my record and never once had an issue until you.

Enough said.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:32:04 PM by nirc »

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »
OMG, I wasn't going to respond but enough is enough.

I have been more than courteous to you despite your many rude emails to me demanding a refund while simultaneously threatening me the entire time. Your behavior and attitude is plainly visible for everyone to see just based on the way you write in the forums (and not just in this thread).

Let's go over a few things:

1. I bought from you a "vacation" credit not an Airbnb one
2. Terms & conditions offer state that it can take 2 billing cycles to appear, with many DP saying that it can clearly take longer
3. I have already stated more than once that should cap 1 not credit you, I will

So just because you have absolutely no patience to wait for the credit more than a week, doesn't mean I am thief that justifies name calling, bad mouthing in public forum and threats of a chargeback. All this behavior coming from a supposed ben torah living in Israel.

I have been a member on this forum for 8+ years with many transactions of all flavors to my record and never once had an issue until you.

Enough said.
Cmiiw. The travel credit is supposed to be for $300. While the airBNB is only $200.
 So I'm assuming he meant to sell you the abnb, while you intended to buy the travel credit.
   My credits seemed to post right away without any issue. The travel posted within a week and so did the abnb. Though I didn't use it for an abnb and still had it post.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Ankster

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 06, 2022, 08:28:57 PM »
Cmiiw. The travel credit is supposed to be for $300. While the airBNB is only $200.
 So I'm assuming he meant to sell you the abnb, while you intended to buy the travel credit.
   My credits seemed to post right away without any issue. The travel posted within a week and so did the abnb. Though I didn't use it for an abnb and still had it post.

I think the $200 credit is actually a broad vacation rental credit which might be causing the confusion. Capital One specifically lists Airbnb, Vrbo, TurnKey, and Vacasa as eligible merchants though that list is not exhaustive. I think this justifies the buyer utilizing the credit for beyond Airbnb but perhaps the confusion is due to everyone specifying that this credit is for Airbnb.

Just a suggestion but if the buyer is just willing to just show the seller that the eligible charge was made for a vacation rental purpose then the seller should have no problem waiting a few billing cycles. It might help facilitate a compromise especially given the buyer has promised to make the seller whole in case the credit does not post.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:32:40 PM by Ankster »

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2022, 01:29:28 AM »
Feel free to publicly quote any rude emails i sent you. My emails asking for verification were met with decisive 2 liners that left no room for discussion[/quote]

1. I bought from you a "vacation" credit not an Airbnb one. Even the zelle payment clearly stated that - no mention of Airbnb.
  This is patently false.This sale was made on the capital one airbnb credit thread you knew it was for that and what you wrote afterword aon the zelle payment is clearly irelevent
Terms and conditions clearly state that the credit is only for airbnb and a few other similar companies. Other users report the credit usually appearing within a week .Your assumption that the phone reps don't know anything is your own ,and not one that i have to rely on
you're one sided decision that leaves no room for discussion after you charged my credit card for something other than agreed upon is not something i have to agree with.+
So just because you have absolutely no patience to wait for the credit more than a week, doesn't mean I am thief that justifies name calling, bad mouthing in public forum and threats of a chargeback.
Enough said.
  I only responded publicly in response to your ignoring me.Feel free to quote where i called you any names .If i had wanted to badmouth you publicly i would have just posted our entire email exchange and all could see who was being rude over here.i didn't do that because it would reveal your email address with a real name .A chargeback is not a threat just my only way getting my money back. 
Enough said
You seem to feel to be the only one entitled to an opinion on the matter .
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:36:56 AM by rbs-g1.5 »

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2022, 01:39:27 AM »
I think the $200 credit is actually a broad vacation rental credit which might be causing the confusion. Capital One specifically lists Airbnb, Vrbo, TurnKey, and Vacasa as eligible merchants though that list is not exhaustive. I think this justifies the buyer utilizing the credit for beyond Airbnb but perhaps the confusion is due to everyone specifying that this credit is for Airbnb.

Just a suggestion but if the buyer is just willing to just show the seller that the eligible charge was made for a vacation rental purpose then the seller should have no problem waiting a few billing cycles. It might help facilitate a compromise especially given the buyer has promised to make the seller whole in case the credit does not post.
He is not willing and i am assuming that is because it was not made for a vacation rental purpose.

Offline ShimshonK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2022, 01:47:33 AM »
I'm having a similar problem where credit didn't post (yet at least). Buyer took full responsibility and credited me the difference very quickly without any questions asked (he mentioned that it seems starting November, the agency he was using is no longer coding for the credit). Unfortunately for me, I'm now past my 1 year deadline, so barring a delayed posting of the credit, I did lose that $200 opportunity (although not negative).

Offline ShimshonK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2022, 01:56:34 AM »
Sorry, I didn’t understand that earlier. If it’s an eligible charge, I assume you’ll get the credit as long as the purchase was in the first year, no? (Even if you have to call after the year is over if that’s how long 2 billing cycles take.) And if they tell you at that point that the charge was ineligible then obviously I’d think your buyer should make you whole.
By "make you whole", I assume you mean to repay the difference of the price it was purchased for and $200? Meaning, about $65-70. The seller though would still have sacrificed a $200 credit beyond the "being made whole".