Author Topic: Trying to obtain a driver's permit in New Jersey! System is so backwards?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
    Tried helping someone schedule a permit in New Jersey.
 After Waiting 3 weeks, finally Went down today with him.
 After getting there and spending over an hour at the MVC he  Came back telling me that all we scheduled was a permit appointment, And there was another appointment which was needed called a knowledge test.
    I don't quite understand why you 1st need to make an appointment to get a paper permit for $10 then have to come back a second time with an appointment to take the knowledge test.
   As backwards as New York City is, you can come down and take your permit test together with getting your actual permit.
  No need for multiple appointments.

Let alone in New Jersey There is absolutely no available appointments for one that wants to take a knowledge test which would basically complete the 1st step of getting a permit.

Who's there to speak to in NJ regarding the MVC?

Quite frustrating when one waits 3 weeks and is told oh you need to come back again  With a knowledge test appointment.

Let alone there was no available appointments.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:17:33 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Re: Trying to obtain a driver's permit in New Jersey! System is so backwards?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »
Hahahah hahahahahahaha

BTW did you vote for Jack?  At least he stood in front of the MVC & promised to fix it

I emailed the local state representatives  and they said that if they're going to have to vote they'll vote to fix it. But they're not obviously going to put their hands in cold water

And an email to Murphy's office went unanswered

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 05:34:08 PM »
 After getting there and spending over an hour at the MVC he  Came back telling me that all we scheduled was a permit appointment, And there was another appointment which was needed called a knowledge test.
    I don't quite understand why you 1st need to make an appointment to get a paper permit for $10 then have to come back a second time with an appointment to take the knowledge test.
   As backwards as New York City is, you can come down and take your permit test together with getting your actual permit.

Let alone in New Jersey There is absolutely no available appointments for one that wants to take a knowledge test which would basically complete the 1st step of getting a permit.

Quite frustrating when one waits 3 weeks and is told oh you need to come back again  With a knowledge test appointment.

And for those who really want to know how it works in Jersey

New York: (pre covid at least)
a) Make an appointment, go to DMV, take test, if you pass take picture, and get a "Lerner's permit" in ID format
b) Schedule a road test, pass and you will automatically get your driver's license in the mail
Total DMV visits: 1+1

New Jersey:
a) Make an appointment, "buy a permit"
b) Make an appointment, take the knowledge test
c) Make an appointment, pass the road test
d) visit the MVC between 50 & 60 days after the road test to apply for a ID format Drivers License
e) a year later, Make an appointment, exchange  your prohibitionary driver's license for a regular

Real ID is only available at step E
You cannot schedule any appointment before you finished the prior task

Total MVC visits: 4+1

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 07:02:09 PM »

Quite a frustrating experience.  Just went through this for my daughter in NJ.  If you're able to swing it, suggest that you work with a driving school - most schools will charge a bit more but will take care of all the appointments on your behalf.  We went with a local school and didn't have to schedule any appointments - they did it all for us...

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »
Nothing to say on the topic but I noticed the OP got the punctuation backwards in the title- first sentence shud end with ? And second sentence end with ! 🤷‍♂️
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 12:46:47 AM »
And for those who really want to know how it works in Jersey

New York: (pre covid at least)
a) Make an appointment, go to DMV, take test, if you pass take picture, and get a "Lerner's permit" in ID format
b) Schedule a road test, pass and you will automatically get your driver's license in the mail
Total DMV visits: 1+1

New Jersey:
a) Make an appointment, "buy a permit"
b) Make an appointment, take the knowledge test
c) Make an appointment, pass the road test
d) visit the MVC between 50 & 60 days after the road test to apply for a ID format Drivers License
e) a year later, Make an appointment, exchange  your prohibitionary driver's license for a regular

Real ID is only available at step E
You cannot schedule any appointment before you finished the prior task

Total MVC visits: 4+1

Even better, in NY: take a test and all online, and when you pass (I sure hope you do, but if not at least you didn't go down for no reason) you can schedule an appointment to get your picture taken.
https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-learner-permit

May be easier to go to your bank in person, have them change your bank statement address to a friend or family's address in NY (and the bank should print you a statement on the spot with new address once approved) and then take the permit test "in" NY, and afterwards (get a new bank statement back with your actual NJ address) transfer to NJ.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 02:32:32 AM »
Even better, in NY: take a test and all online, and when you pass (I sure hope you do, but if not at least you didn't go down for no reason) you can schedule an appointment to get your picture taken.
https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-learner-permit

May be easier to go to your bank in person, have them change your bank statement address to a friend or family's address in NY (and the bank should print you a statement on the spot with new address once approved) and then take the permit test "in" NY, and afterwards (get a new bank statement back with your actual NJ address) transfer to NJ.
LOL, funny you should say that.
 He did just the opposite. I offered to help him out. But told him I'm in NJ during the week and would gladly help him.
 So he did exactly as you mentioned.
  Went to Chase , got a bank statement.( But the MVC didn't want to except it, they claim you need a piece of MAIL). So backwards if I may say.
   Then to get a proof of address he's currently learning in BMG, he got a signed letter, but they wouldn't except that either, though the ironic part was they took the Card which was laminated with a picture of him and a barcode with BMG on the card with the address.  Go figure.

So with all that I thing it was a bust. Might be easier to get one in NY. And then like you said swap it over. Though he has Noone to take him in NY, unless he would hitch or Uber to where he needs to go.

Gonna tell him to check with the yeshivah to see if they can book it for him. And or check the website periodically.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 02:36:30 AM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 07:17:44 AM »

and afterwards (get a new bank statement back with your actual NJ address) transfer to NJ.

Easier said than done

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 01:12:08 PM »
Any software or program to automatically scan for new appointments.
 I don't remember off hand. But a member here had one for the Global Entry Appointments.

Offline bhoaem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 09:59:20 PM »
When did the system in NJ change?
I went straight to the knowlage test. Pretty sure my younger siblings did that as well.
 Is the pre-permit a covid thing?

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 10:01:26 PM »
Any software or program to automatically scan for new appointments.
 I don't remember off hand. But a member here had one for the Global Entry Appointments.
Check at midnight every night for an appointment 60 days out.
Appointments get canceled often, so add a widget to your homescreen to take you to the Appointments page on the website, and whenever you pull out your phone you can click it for a quick check.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 11:01:04 AM »
Besides the NJ MVC any other entity still closes and cleans if someone tests positive? And till when will this craziness go on? But at least they are not closing for 2 weeks....

https://twitter.com/LakewoodScoop/status/1461356411871383553

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 06:01:54 PM »
Check at midnight every night for an appointment 60 days out.
Appointments get canceled often, so add a widget to your homescreen to take you to the Appointments page on the website, and whenever you pull out your phone you can click it for a quick check.
Caught it twice where it said 1 appointment avlb and tried but no luck.

Though I actually got through to someone at the mvc and they told me that they should have offered to give you the knowledge test right then and  there.
  They offered to help me, so far they asked where he wants to take the test, and for his info,  and would be in contact via email. So let's see how that goes.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 01:57:49 AM »
It might be possible to take a NY TEST with a NJ license.

Wait 6 months and transfer to NJ.

I Know of many that did this.
Always praying for delayed baggage.