Author Topic: How to Sell/Trade Silver Judaica?  (Read 165 times)

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
How to Sell/Trade Silver Judaica?
« on: November 23, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »
I have 2 small-ish silver menorahs that I received many years ago as bar mitzvah presents. I'd love to find somewhere to essentially trade them in for a single menorah that's taller and perhaps holds larger oil cups. I was told 925 Sterling in the 5T will basically just weigh everything and pay based on the current price of silver. Has anyone hear done this before and have any insight as to whether there might be other places to get better value, either by getting value for the pieces as they are (instead of just rate), or maybe others paying a higher rate by weight? Willing to go to Brooklyn and maybe the city, but not beyond.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:16:08 PM by skyguy918 »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
Re: How to Sell/Trade Silver Judaica?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
I have 2 small-ish silver menorahs that I received many years ago as bar mitzvah presents. I'd love to find somewhere to essentially trade them in for a single menorah that's taller and perhaps holds larger oil cups. I was told 925 Sterling in the 5T will basically just weigh everything and pay based on the current price of silver. Has anyone hear done this before and have any insight as to whether there might be other places to get better value, either by getting value for the pieces as they are (instead of just rate), or maybe others paying a higher rate by weight? Willing to go to Brooklyn and maybe the city, but not beyond.

If the menorahs are in good condition and aren’t outright fugly, I would imagine you could list them locally and find someone who’ll buy them for more than the value of the silver.

The retail markup of silver value to a finished item is probably 50-100% so someone looking to buy would be getting a steep discount (20-40%) and you’d still end up ahead.

ETA: also consider that the “one larger menorah” you have your eyes on might retail for more than the retail value of the two small menorahs you have.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: How to Sell/Trade Silver Judaica?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »
Take clear pictures.
Post them here to start.