Author Topic: The Sky Is Falling! Yet Another Variant  (Read 27102 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: The Sky Is Falling! Yet Another Variant
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »
I literally quoted a post where you questioned if you were looking at the right tweet...

Here, try this one instead.
[tweet]1238254697695326209[/tweet]

Big hollow words. He's had every opportunity to develop a plan (a luxury Trump certainly didn't have), and isn't that far ahead.

To be fair, considering even the world's greatest epidemiologists and ID experts are doing the best they can with extraordinary international governmental support, I don't think a different president would do much better. Keep in mind a lot of the issue here is the American people's collective mindset and the political divide that predates COVID, neither of which can be magically fixed overnight by any extent of leadership.

The one thing I'd say could certainly have been improved in both the Trump and Biden White House, is better, more consistent, and less political communication. A better leader could do that, but ironcally they're even less likely to get nominated/elected in today's climate.

P.s. I think it's time to split this tangent off to a new thread in the politics board.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2021, 10:33:58 AM »
Yes you are missing something as that is not the tweet we are discussing.

Right, that was the tweet about the China travel ban which apologists pulled out because it doesn't mention travel bans specifically and can be twisted. But the truth is everyone knows he was against the travel bans because the entire left side of the political spectrum was. It is not a controversial or arguable position to say that Biden or anyone on the left who made any sort of public statements was against the travel bans through March of 2020. This is the whole point of this discussion, it was a political position, not a public health position.

The same works for the other side as well, of course. But this thread is about the current policies as they relate to the Kulula variant.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »

Again you are missing the point. I was having a discussion with another member and asked if we were talking about the same tweet. He agreed we were.

Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »
P.s. I think it's time to split this tangent off to a new thread in the politics board.
News flash!!! This whole thread is political.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2021, 10:40:59 AM »
Am I missing something or did nobody else see this tweet?
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1223807268703043588
Psaki explained that already,
Here is different the dems are in control and covid is spreading

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »
News flash!!! This whole thread is political.
That's on OP for titling the thread this way.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2021, 12:33:03 PM »
News flash!!! This whole board is political.

FTF @ExGingi
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:44 AM »
This thread reinforces something I’ve heard recently that most Americans nowadays view the economy as good or bad based on how much they liked the admin in power not the other way around (how it used to be) seems to be the case with Covid as well….

Facts: Closures were/are considered a reasonable strategy to stave off infections,Trump combined that with hate against China which I believe spilled over to Asians in general. Bidens criticism of the policy can be interpreted as criticism of trumps attitude OR the policy but his tweets condemning the policy are wrong. Now with the theory above most people will still view it as wrong or right based on their pre liking of Biden or not and that’s why he will never apologize for criticizing the policy, his supporters will believe he didn’t do anything wrong.

Now how to break out of this cycle ???

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
This thread reinforces something I’ve heard recently that most Americans nowadays view the economy as good or bad based on how much they liked the admin in power not the other way around (how it used to be) seems to be the case with Covid as well….

Facts: Closures were/are considered a reasonable strategy to stave off infections,Trump combined that with hate against China which I believe spilled over to Asians in general. Bidens criticism of the policy can be interpreted as criticism of trumps attitude OR the policy but his tweets condemning the policy are wrong. Now with the theory above most people will still view it as wrong or right based on their pre liking of Biden or not and that’s why he will never apologize for criticizing the policy, his supporters will believe he didn’t do anything wrong.

I hope you realize that even your "facts" are tinged heavily by your personal politics.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »
[tweet]1465906474270531589[/tweet]
The world isn't reacting to the cases that she's personally seen - they're reacting to the possible (huge) threat that the mutation is showing in labs, and they're awaiting real data (which should be coming within the next couple of weeks) - the small sample size that she's dealt with isn't significant statistically. Seems like she's missing some nuance and/or context.

Also, just because someone chanced upon something first doesn't make them a voice of expertise.

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2021, 10:36:46 AM »
I hope you realize that even your "facts" are tinged heavily by your personal politics.
How so ?

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
How so ?

Facts: Closures were/are considered a reasonable strategy to stave off infections
Firstly, it's pretty broad, what closures are you referring to? But either way, there is still plenty of debate about the efficacy of lockdown strategies, not to mention that even were this to be unanimously accepted, that wouldn't mean everyone agrees that the benefits of such strategies would outweigh the costs.

Trump combined that with hate against China
Again, I'm inclined to agree that Trump is a racist xenophobe, but that's my personal belief. Back in Jan 2020 when all sides and media were naming the virus "the Wuhan virus" or "The Wuhan cold" and the like, that wasn't hate against China, but when Trump did it it was?
which I believe spilled over to Asians in general.
So this part isn't a fact, it is a personal opinion, but the fact it is adjacent to is not tinged by your opinion?

Bidens criticism of the policy can be interpreted as criticism of trumps attitude OR the policy
Really? There's plenty of statements out there from that time, and the cumulative effect cannot honestly be interpreted that way

but his tweets condemning the policy are wrong.
In your opinion
Now with the theory above most people will still view it as wrong or right based on their pre liking of Biden or not and that’s why he will never apologize for criticizing the policy, his supporters will believe he didn’t do anything wrong.

There is no need to apologize for getting something wrong about a new virus no one knew anything about if your opinions were based on data and the knowledge available at the time. If your opinion was based on politics, however, then you would need to try wiggle your way out of your earlier positions instead of saying "we now have many more months and millions of cases worth of data, and many worlds more knowledge and as such have changed our positions."

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »

Until the nutcases on both sides acknowledge what is going on the cycle will continue.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »
Again, I'm inclined to agree that Trump is a racist xenophobe, but that's my personal belief. Back in Jan 2020 when all sides and media were naming the virus "the Wuhan virus" or "The Wuhan cold" and the like, that wasn't hate against China, but when Trump did it it was?
Trump called it the "Chinese virus". We already had this conversation.
So this part isn't a fact, it is a personal opinion, but the fact it is adjacent to is not tinged by your opinion?
Opinion backed up by a rise in Asian hate crimes. Again, we already had this conversation.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/trumps-chinese-virus-tweet-helped-lead-rise-racist/story?id=76530148

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »

Trump called it the "Chinese virus". We already had this conversation.
I don't know if *we* discussed it, but the discussion is about what is fact and what is opinion. Fact: he was hardly the first person to call this virus by its place of origin, and it is also not the first virus to be called by its place of origin.

We likely agree as to his intentions, but we can also agree that that is our *opinion*.

Opinion backed up by a rise in Asian hate crimes. Again, we already had this conversation.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/trumps-chinese-virus-tweet-helped-lead-rise-racist/story?id=76530148
I said it's opinion because he calls it that in his post. Again, mine or your beliefs are irrelevant, I was only pointing out that his presentation of "facts" was heavily influenced by his opinion.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »
My Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings, They Only Care About Mine

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2021, 02:47:59 PM »
I don't know if *we* discussed it, but the discussion is about what is fact and what is opinion. Fact: he was hardly the first person to call this virus by its place of origin, and it is also not the first virus to be called by its place of origin.

We likely agree as to his intentions, but we can also agree that that is our *opinion*.
Fact: He called it the "Chinese virus". He also called it the Ch"i"n"a" virus. That was racist. I don't care about his intentions. Those are the facts.
I said it's opinion because he calls it that in his post. Again, mine or your beliefs are irrelevant, I was only pointing out that his presentation of "facts" was heavily influenced by his opinion.
When what he says is backed up by stats IHMO that makes it a fact. Stats showed an uptick in Asian hate crime after his racist comment.

Now your opinion is his facts are tinged by his opinion. That doesn't mean they aren't facts.

I hate Trump. He made a comment to explore injecting bleach into oneself to kill the virus. My hatred towards him does not change that fact.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »
My Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings, They Only Care About Mine
Facts don't care about anyones feelings. If they only care about yours then they are not facts.  ;)

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2021, 02:52:00 PM »
Fact: He called it the "Chinese virus". He also called it the Ch"i"n"a" virus. That was racist. I don't care about his intentions. Those are the facts.When what he says is backed up by stats IHMO that makes it a fact. Stats showed an uptick in Asian hate crime after his racist comment.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/11/sars-cov-2-chinese-coronavirus-isnt-racist-wuhan-covid-19-column/5020771002/
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.