Author Topic: The Sky Is Falling! Yet Another Variant  (Read 27115 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: The Sky Is Falling! Yet Another Variant
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2022, 10:15:49 PM »
And we keep hearing more of the severely infected are the unvaccinated. The Kool-aid drinkers keep ignoring this.

It’s not that Omicron is more severe for kids than past variants, it’s "adults now have loads of immunity, kids don’t, and hospitalisations will absolutely exceed past peaks among the unvaxxed, young or old"

From country after country we’re hearing that the majority of cases ending up in ICU are unvaccinated. Even in countries like England where this group is now a vanishingly small share of the population

Indeed, a significant portion of the divergence between cases and severe outcomes in England may come from its potent mix of high past infection rates and a rapid booster rollout. It has never been more important for all countries to get vaccines into arms
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2022, 11:26:15 PM »
OKAY

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2022, 11:28:59 PM »
I like how this thread reminds me that Omicron went from “Call me when there are more cases” to “Everyone already had it” in around a month.

The half-life of Omicron hysteria is much shorter than the previous variants.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2022, 11:31:53 PM »

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2022, 11:32:59 PM »
I like how this thread reminds me that Omicron went from “Call me when there are more cases” to “Everyone already had it” in around a month.

The half-life of Omicron hysteria is much shorter than the previous variants.
Will that is somewhat what actually happened
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2022, 12:06:06 AM »
And we keep hearing more of the severely infected are the unvaccinated. The Kool-aid drinkers keep ignoring this.

It’s not that Omicron is more severe for kids than past variants, it’s "adults now have loads of immunity, kids don’t, and hospitalisations will absolutely exceed past peaks among the unvaxxed, young or old"

From country after country we’re hearing that the majority of cases ending up in ICU are unvaccinated. Even in countries like England where this group is now a vanishingly small share of the population

Indeed, a significant portion of the divergence between cases and severe outcomes in England may come from its potent mix of high past infection rates and a rapid booster rollout. It has never been more important for all countries to get vaccines into arms

How many of the severe cases among unvaccinated are people who are unable to take the vaccine due to medical issues?  How many of those cases are in more serious condition due to the same condition that keeps them from being vaccinated?

I agree that vaccines are an extremely vital tool in getting rid of Covid, among other diseases.  I am just wondering how it is that even countries with amazing vaccination rates still have so many people who are unvaccinated, and didn't yet have covid. 

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2022, 12:37:18 AM »
How many of the severe cases among unvaccinated are people who are unable to take the vaccine due to medical issues?  How many of those cases are in more serious condition due to the same condition that keeps them from being vaccinated?
Not sure.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2022, 12:39:24 AM »

Not many. How significant are such medical conditions?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2022, 09:08:59 AM »
Not many. How significant are such medical conditions?

I don't know.  That is part of my question.  I am certain, though, that it must play a part, especially in countries where almost everyone who can be vaccinated, has been.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2022, 09:33:23 AM »
I don't know.  That is part of my question.  I am certain, though, that it must play a part, especially in countries where almost everyone who can be vaccinated, has been.

I’ll believe it’s insignificant until someone shares data implying otherwise
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2022, 01:09:20 PM »

I’ll believe it’s insignificant until someone shares data implying otherwise
I think AsherO is right, because there are very few medical issues that preclude taking the vaccine.  Basically, just being severely allergic to one of the ingredients in the vaccine.  So far, about 2-5 people had a anaphylactic response to the vaccine out of every million who were vaccinated, so that's insignificant to your calculation.  Doctors may also recommend that cancer patients delay the vaccine till certain stages in their treatment, but not avoid taking it. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/mandates-roll-out-some-may-ask-medical-exemptions-what-s-n1278264

Some people may decide themselves that they want to avoid the vaccine due to their health conditions, but public health experts don't consider these valid medical reasons.  Examples are this woman, who "... was reluctant to get the jab because she feared adverse reactions due to health problems that included severe diabetes, a heart murmur and chronic bronchitis."
https://www.newsweek.com/oregon-unvaccinated-burko-deaths-covid-daughter-1629753

A recent survey asked people why they weren't vaccinated, and the most common answers were "Concerned about possible side effects" or "Don't trust covid-19 vaccines".
https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/12/who-are-the-adults-not-vaccinated-against-covid.html

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2022, 01:17:41 PM »
I think AsherO is right, because there are very few medical issues that preclude taking the vaccine.  Basically, just being severely allergic to one of the ingredients in the vaccine.  So far, about 2-5 people had a anaphylactic response to the vaccine out of every million who were vaccinated, so that's insignificant to your calculation.  Doctors may also recommend that cancer patients delay the vaccine till certain stages in their treatment, but not avoid taking it. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/mandates-roll-out-some-may-ask-medical-exemptions-what-s-n1278264

Some people may decide themselves that they want to avoid the vaccine due to their health conditions, but public health experts don't consider these valid medical reasons.  Examples are this woman, who "... was reluctant to get the jab because she feared adverse reactions due to health problems that included severe diabetes, a heart murmur and chronic bronchitis."
https://www.newsweek.com/oregon-unvaccinated-burko-deaths-covid-daughter-1629753

A recent survey asked people why they weren't vaccinated, and the most common answers were "Concerned about possible side effects" or "Don't trust covid-19 vaccines".
https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/12/who-are-the-adults-not-vaccinated-against-covid.html

Part of the issue is that from a public policy perspective then a 1/1,000,000 (or less) risk is negligible, but from a personal choice perspective someone dumb who doesn't understand that COVID is more risky could "choose" to opt out of a 1/1,000,000 risk.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2022, 01:20:57 PM »
I think AsherO is right

Thanks @biobook

My new sig, hope it isn't too misleading :P

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2022, 01:31:15 PM »
Thanks @biobook

My new sig, hope it isn't too misleading
You should also include this

I don't actually know anything

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2022, 01:54:29 PM »
Thanks @biobook

My new sig, hope it isn't too misleading :P
Had I known I'd become a sig, I would have expressed it with more certainty.

Though the last time I said someone was certainly right, Lurker lengthily and rightly explained why I was wrong, so I guess I should leave some room for doubt.  I think.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »
Had I known I'd become a sig, I would have expressed it with more certainty.

Though the last time I said someone was certainly right, Lurker lengthily and rightly explained why I was wrong, so I guess I should leave some room for doubt.  I think.

Thanks for not tagging him. It's good he's busy at work then and my signature remains valid :D

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2022, 02:39:19 AM »
So now that the Omicron scare didn't create enough panic, we have a two-pronged approach:

Flurona

and

The French (Cameroon) mutation. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.24.21268174v1.full
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2022, 07:14:54 AM »
So now that the Omicron scare didn't create enough panic, we have a two-pronged approach:

Flurona

and

The French (Cameroon) mutation. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.24.21268174v1.full

Losing sleep over this?

Flurona could be mitigated with flu shots, and AFAIK hasn’t been associated with adverse outcomes vs. COVID alone.

The French variant was discussed on DDF before (maybe a tweet shared by PG) and has reportedly not been sighted on GISAID since early December (or “once” according to this NYT article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/world/covid-variant-france.html

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »
Losing sleep over this?

Flurona could be mitigated with flu shots, and AFAIK hasn’t been associated with adverse outcomes vs. COVID alone.

The French variant was discussed on DDF before (maybe a tweet shared by PG) and has reportedly not been sighted on GISAID since early December (or “once” according to this NYT article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/world/covid-variant-france.html
Me? Losing sleep? Over a health scare?

Who do you think I am? AsherO!?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2022, 09:07:01 AM »
Who do you think I am? AsherO!?

It was a joking reference the timing of your post. If your AC is abroad maybe your schedule changed, IDK :P

I seldom have trouble sleeping regardless of what's going on BH. But I sometimes avoid sleep, that's different :D