Author Topic: Israel Forces South Africans To Fly Home On Shabbos  (Read 1943 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Israel Forces South Africans To Fly Home On Shabbos
« on: November 28, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
oh so that what this is all about
the South African government didn;t want the SA contestant to go to apartheid Israel  so they created a variant to get Israel closed
but the Tzionim are smarter, they closed the country to everyone but the contestants.......

And while they were at it, they denied entry to a group of South African Jews (who departed South Africa before new regulations went into effect, though they were in effect once they boarded their connecting flight in Dubai) and forced them to be mechalel Shabbos and fly back to South Africa!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Israel And Ben Gurion COVID-19 Reopening Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »
And while they were at it, they denied entry to a group of South African Jews (who departed South Africa before new regulations went into effect, though they were in effect once they boarded their connecting flight in Dubai) and forced them to be mechalel Shabbos and fly back to South Africa!
I saw something about this briefly. What happened - they literally got shoved on a plane against their will?

Online Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »

https://vinnews.com/2021/11/28/5-south-african-jews-detained-at-ben-gurion-airport-forced-to-leave-and-desecrate-shabbos/

weird
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:01:52 PM by Dawie »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 01:46:25 PM »
Odd story. Shame they didn't allow themselves to get arrested.

I guess South Africans don't think like Americans.
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: The Sky Is Falling! Yet Another Variant
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 03:44:31 PM »

Online Dawie

• View Profile
Re: Re: The Sky Is Falling! Yet Another Variant
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/Squilled/status/1465058414841798665

This is insane
Please find out what really happened and report back
this is just too strange of a story

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 04:48:59 PM »
Please find out what really happened and report back
this is just too strange of a story
True story. Fwiu, they thought they would land in Dubai before shabbos and had people in JNB trying to arrange shabbos for them in Dubai

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
True story. Fwiu, they thought they would land in Dubai before shabbos and had people in JNB trying to arrange shabbos for them in Dubai

Also FWIU the ban was announced after they departed Johannesburg but before they departed from Dubai to TLV.

Doesn't make the Israelis right. As @Dan said, they should have probably gotten themselves arrested rather than board a flight back to DXB. A friend just told me that he did just that (agreed to have police called on him if the airline didn't like his actions) when AA wasn't going to let several people out of his family board a connecting flight back to NY from MIA, where it was entirely AAs fault that they were running late. His bold statements and actions made AA cave and let the people on the flight.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 06:03:30 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 09:44:09 PM »
Odd story. Shame they didn't allow themselves to get arrested.
That was my reaction, but apparently they thought they would land in Dubai before shabbos and and had people in JNB trying to arrange shabbos for them. Iinm, they miscalculated and it ended up being shabbos by the time they landed. I'm not sure why they boarded the next plane, though being arrested in Dubai is an entirely different prospect to getting arrested in Israel.

Be that as it may, it's impossible to judge what they should have done or what we would have done. We weren't going through that stress. Flying in general is highly stressful for many, for many it manifests in extreme ways that often aren't appreciated by frequent flyers on forums like this.

When someone is threatening you after a full day/night of traveling in the same week a boy you watched grow up was shot dead in cold blood - it is exceedingly difficult to think clearly and make decisions. The onus should not be on exhausted, distressed passengers to choose to *get arrested*, but on the Jewish state to protect Jews from being forced by a state to transgress Judaism.

I'm honestly shocked this isn't a massive international incident. As I said on Twitter, if any other country had done such a thing, Naftali Bennet would lose his mind condemning them:
https://twitter.com/Squilled/status/1465058416225837058

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »
The onus should not be on exhausted, distressed passengers to choose to *get arrested*, but on the Jewish state to protect Jews from being forced by a state to transgress Judaism.

I am not judging those involved in this specific incident, but as a rule, NEVER rely on the secular Jewish state to protect ANYTHING about yiddishkeit.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 10:21:58 PM »
I am not judging those involved in this specific incident, but as a rule, NEVER rely on the secular Jewish state to protect ANYTHING about yiddishkeit.
Of course! I hope it was clear I was saying that from the pov of the state, not something any Jew should rely on or even hope for.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 10:22:47 PM »
That was my reaction, but apparently they thought they would land in Dubai before shabbos and and had people in JNB trying to arrange shabbos for them. Iinm, they miscalculated and it ended up being shabbos by the time they landed. I'm not sure why they boarded the next plane, though being arrested in Dubai is an entirely different prospect to getting arrested in Israel.

Be that as it may, it's impossible to judge what they should have done or what we would have done. We weren't going through that stress. Flying in general is highly stressful for many, for many it manifests in extreme ways that often aren't appreciated by frequent flyers on forums like this.

When someone is threatening you after a full day/night of traveling in the same week a boy you watched grow up was shot dead in cold blood - it is exceedingly difficult to think clearly and make decisions. The onus should not be on exhausted, distressed passengers to choose to *get arrested*, but on the Jewish state to protect Jews from being forced by a state to transgress Judaism.

I'm honestly shocked this isn't a massive international incident. As I said on Twitter, if any other country had done such a thing, Naftali Bennet would lose his mind condemning them:
https://twitter.com/Squilled/status/1465058416225837058

Indeed. You put it more harshly than what I wrote

Also FWIU the ban was announced after they departed Johannesburg but before they departed from Dubai to TLV.

Doesn't make the Israelis right. As @Dan said, they should have probably gotten themselves arrested rather than board a flight back to DXB.

Now let's see if @Dan and all fellow DDFers can get together to shame the Israelis, and force them to apologize, compensate, and take serious measures that nothing like this EVER happens again!
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 10:24:15 PM »
Indeed. You put it more harshly than what I wrote

Now let's see if @Dan and all fellow DDFers can get together to shame the Israelis, and force them to apologize, compensate, and take serious measures that nothing like this EVER happens again!
Compensation to me almost feels like it makes it worse. I mean they should sue, if they can, but it kind of makes it look like you're putting a price on Shabbos.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 10:25:56 PM »
I am not judging those involved in this specific incident, but as a rule, NEVER rely on the secular Jewish state (by name), that is ruled by מתייונים that are trying to uproot Yiddishkeit, to protect ANYTHING about yiddishkeit.

FTFY.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »
I'd love to speak to/email them, have them contact me if you have any connection.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:16 PM »
Compensation to me almost feels like it makes it worse. I mean they should sue, if they can, but it kind of makes it look like you're putting a price on Shabbos.

No. The shaming into a public apology is the "price" for the forced חילול שבת. The compensation goes beyond the personal monetary loss, it should include corrective measures (including, but not limited to, setting up a facility for people to stay in the airport over Shabbos, in situations where they are forced to do so).
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2021, 10:35:47 PM »
the pov of the state
Is that yiddishkeit is chas vsholom outdated.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Forces South Africans To Fly Home On Shabbos
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
Threads split/merged for further discussion.

Online Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »
No. The shaming into a public apology is the "price" for the forced חילול שבת. The compensation goes beyond the personal monetary loss, it should include corrective measures (including, but not limited to, setting up a facility for people to stay in the airport over Shabbos, in situations where they are forced to do so).
they would need a quarantine facility under this (warped) logic (referring to the tziyonim not ExG)