Author Topic: Airtable  (Read 4323 times)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: Airtable
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Exactly. But given that I've been using this software for over a year, and I only heard the term "relational database" today, I shyed away from the term as it probably means nothing to most people who don't know what airtable is.
Exactly! Which is why I believe Airtable makes relational databases approachable for the people who don't even know they need them.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »
Exactly! Which is why I believe Airtable makes relational databases approachable for the people who don't even know they need them.
Amen brotha!
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »
I'm convinced, I now have the solution. What's the problem?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 09:13:12 PM »
Exactly. But given that I've been using this software for over a year, and I only heard the term "relational database" today, I shyed away from the term as it probably means nothing to most people who don't know what airtable is.
no one is arguing here
airtable is convenient because it web based and responsive
the difference between excel and access is flat or relational, most if not all functions/formulas can be done in both, it just matters how the data is stored in the backend

no one here is saying that access or excel has a nice web UI

UI= so UI is great and has nothing with access/excel
functionality =  access/excel both have them
data structure = like access which means its relational and not flat
["-"]

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 09:13:54 PM »
I'm convinced, I now have the solution. What's the problem?
Is there something in your life that you've been wanting to keep track of better? Maybe you tried or use Excel but it just doesn't fit the need perfectly, or maybe you haven't tried anything since you don't know what to try? Open Airtable and try it :)

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 09:15:49 PM »
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
["-"]

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 09:29:51 PM »
Is there something in your life that you've been wanting to keep track of better? Maybe you tried or use Excel but it just doesn't fit the need perfectly, or maybe you haven't tried anything since you don't know what to try? Open Airtable and try it :)
For simple things excel (sheets) works great. For more complex things I usually just search how to use sheets better or make an app script, to learn a new program is a bit overkill. (I personally think the integration that's available with Google is amazing)

I can see it being good for family lists or similar, how good is their privacy? Are they going to start charging you for features that are currently free?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 09:54:44 PM »
For simple things excel (sheets) works great. For more complex things I usually just search how to use sheets better or make an app script, to learn a new program is a bit overkill. (I personally think the integration that's available with Google is amazing)

I can see it being good for family lists or similar, how good is their privacy? Are they going to start charging you for features that are currently free?
This is exactly what I would've said a couple years ago. If you don't know what a relational table is, you can't realize it's potential.

I'm not trying to push anything here, I just really enjoy using the program, and it's helped me a lot, so trying to turn others to it if it'll help. I introduced it to a friend of mine who said exactly what you said. A week or 2 later, he's neck deep in it and still building it out.

You can use it without paying and it's very unrestricted. Paying opens up more integration and asthetics that most probably don't need.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 10:04:59 PM »
This is exactly what I would've said a couple years ago. If you don't know what a relational table is, you can't realize it's potential.

I'm not trying to push anything here, I just really enjoy using the program, and it's helped me a lot, so trying to turn others to it if it'll help. I introduced it to a friend of mine who said exactly what you said. A week or 2 later, he's neck deep in it and still building it out.

You can use it without paying and it's very unrestricted. Paying opens up more integration and asthetics that most probably don't need.
Being familiar with Salesforce I believe I know the concept ;). I guess you can say it's a mini CRM that has a free tier.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »

Doing some reading about it online (3rd party sites) many seem to see it as a project management / collaboration tool. Do you use it otherwise?

Have you ever looked into Trello?

Also  some interesting alternatives:

Nocodb.com (totally free IINM).
Seatable.io (similar freemium to Airtable).

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 11:37:33 PM »
It's not a CRM or a project management tool, but it can be. It just gives you the building blocks to build whatever you want.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 02:00:34 AM »
Been wanting to get into airtable the last couple years but always shied away from trying to build it out, but maybe it's time.
Some of the uses - creating a database of our products, storing and pulling the product details in multiple other configurations, like instantly creating price sheets, UPC lists, etc.  Not sure if possible/practical, but would like to have images, video, and artwork all saved on a product level, but should also have an option to make image/video/artwork of all our products accessible in a single view.

Would also want to use it for development, production, and shipping management as we (mis)use google sheets for the task and it's really limited. Also tracking employee information, docs, birthdays, work anniversaries, performance reviews (along with notes) in various views such as a calendar, spreadsheet; having notifications makes it even better.

The use cases seem endless, and probably more than what I am envisioning if I actually start using it...
Visibly Jewish

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 02:19:21 AM »
Been wanting to get into airtable the last couple years but always shied away from trying to build it out, but maybe it's time.
Some of the uses - creating a database of our products, storing and pulling the product details in multiple other configurations, like instantly creating price sheets, UPC lists, etc.  Not sure if possible/practical, but would like to have images, video, and artwork all saved on a product level, but should also have an option to make image/video/artwork of all our products accessible in a single view.

Would also want to use it for development, production, and shipping management as we (mis)use google sheets for the task and it's really limited. Also tracking employee information, docs, birthdays, work anniversaries, performance reviews (along with notes) in various views such as a calendar, spreadsheet; having notifications makes it even better.

The use cases seem endless, and probably more than what I am envisioning if I actually start using it...
I'm sure all of this is "possible", just a matter of someone implementing it, and also if there's a better solution that would be cheaper resource wise. :)

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
It is very likely worth a try. The only question is if there is something prebuilt out there that can work for you, which would save you all the time building and maintaining. Also, you may find you outgrow airtable and need a more robust enterprise solution. But if you have the time to try it out it's a great idea. Worst case if it doesn't work out, you will learn a lot about your requirements along the way, which will help a lot in the process of implementing your next solution.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:19:30 PM by etech0 »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
It is very likely worth a try. The only question is if there is something prebuilt out there that can work for you, which would save you all the time building and maintaining. Also, you may find you outgrow airtable and need a more robust enterprise solution. But if you have the time to try it out it's a great idea. Worst case if it doesn't work out, you will learn a lot about your requirements along the way, which will help a lot in the process of implementing your next solution.

I’m in a place where I don’t know what I don’t know about project management software and there are dozens of softwares out there. I don’t have a lot of free time and don’t want to spend too long building things out only to find that it’s missing critical features or I have it setup and find out my team hates using it.

Perhaps I can find someone to consult with and guide through the process.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »
I’m in a place where I don’t know what I don’t know about project management software and there are dozens of softwares out there. I don’t have a lot of free time and don’t want to spend too long building things out only to find that it’s missing critical features or I have it setup and find out my team hates using it.

Perhaps I can find someone to consult with and guide through the process.
One thing that will be an issue is that as far as I know, Airtable doesn't have any sort of permissions, so any user can see everything in that base and that is an issue when everything ties into each other.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:04 PM »
One thing that will be an issue is that as far as I know, Airtable doesn't have any sort of permissions, so any user can see everything in that base and that is an issue when everything ties into each other.
That could be a key feature that's missing IMO when working with multiple users.

Offline chulent613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 11:31:00 PM »
I use it for the air table forms as I love the different views that I can see the data. Gallery/grid etc.
Biggest con for me is that it doesn't work offline.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 11:57:57 PM »

That’s a massive issue and something so basic that I didn’t think it would be missing.
Visibly Jewish