Author Topic: Raising Rent In Lakewood  (Read 56537 times)

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Rent In Lakewood
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2022, 09:02:33 AM »
what does  2 bedroom basement in one of the south side developments (sterling place , sterling forest , chateau park etcc) go for these days?

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2022, 04:37:56 PM »
I have tenants for close to 10 years and have never raised their rent. The time has come now that i must sell the property I have a buyer for a decent price but they only want it either if tenants sagree to pay a fair rent amount (about 1500 more then they are paying now) or I deliver the house vacant. I am being told that in B'D I will not necessarily be able to force on them more than a 5-10% increase and it will be very difficult toi remove them. Basically they are holding my house hostage. Does anyone have a good piece of advice for me?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2022, 04:50:00 PM »
I have tenants for close to 10 years and have never raised their rent. The time has come now that i must sell the property I have a buyer for a decent price but they only want it either if tenants sagree to pay a fair rent amount (about 1500 more then they are paying now) or I deliver the house vacant. I am being told that in B'D I will not necessarily be able to force on them more than a 5-10% increase and it will be very difficult toi remove them. Basically they are holding my house hostage. Does anyone have a good piece of advice for me?
I don't think it is true. I think you are able to raise it to 5-10% annualized which will make it over double if it is ten years.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2022, 04:51:42 PM »
I thought that when a buyer purchases a home that he will live in he can kick out the current renter…

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2022, 04:52:33 PM »
I don't think it is true. I think you are able to raise it to 5-10% annualized which will make it over double if it is ten years.
FWIU it's 5% per year since the lease expired up to 25% total.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »
FWIU it's 5% per year since the lease expired up to 25% total.
ah

Offline av83

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2022, 04:56:48 PM »
I thought that when a buyer purchases a home that he will live in he can kick out the current renter…
As per my attorney this is only true of the buyer wants to live there but if they are looking to rent it out they can not throw out current tenants.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2022, 05:03:48 PM »

Here we have an example of why someone would raise the rent even if it is not needed at the time. The buyer will have a mortgage based on current house prices and the rent will be the rate from 10 years ago. I understand why he does want that disparity.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »
As per my attorney this is only true of the buyer wants to live there but if they are looking to rent it out they can not throw out current tenants.

Maybe he can evict them, use it for a few months and then rent it out again after? What are the time limits on this?

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2022, 05:19:27 PM »
Maybe he can evict them, use it for a few months and then rent it out again after? What are the time limits on this?
That's a royal PITA and he doesn't have any rental income while living there.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2022, 05:29:38 PM »
That's a royal PITA and he doesn't have any rental income while living there.
Yes, but it limits it to a number of months that he loses and then makes the additional rent to the current market. Also, once the alternative is to be evicted then the tenant may make additional concessions.

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2022, 05:50:56 PM »
This is ridiculous. It’s your house. AFAIK, rent control in lkwd is only in certain cases. My understanding is that once the contract is up, you are free to do whatever you please. If your tenant isn’t a mensch, and doesn’t appreciate that you’ve given him a place to live, at way below market rent for years, then you shouldn’t go above and beyond for him. Did you talk to a knowledgeable Rav, to see if there is a halachic requirement as to how you must proceed?

Offline monkey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2022, 05:56:12 PM »
I’ve heard from someone else in a similar situation, he explained situation to tenants and offered them a lump sum to move so he can sell.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2022, 06:24:43 PM »
I’ve heard from someone else in a similar situation, he explained situation to tenants and offered them a lump sum to move so he can sell.

That is sick. They paid below market rent for 10 years and held the owner hostage, now they deserve a prize for playing (and in a sense winning) that game? הרצחת וגם ירשת? The standards for ועשית הטוב והישר should go both ways and the landlord has certainly held up his part of that.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2022, 06:39:30 PM »
FWIU There may be a difference if you’re living in the home and renting out the basement. I heard this from a tenant who had his rent raised over the 5% annualized and spoke to a Dayan who told him this differentiation. If this applies in your situation you can clarify if this will help you. If you’re renting out the main unit it will not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:17:09 PM by imayid2 »

Offline Sammyonetwo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2022, 07:21:16 PM »
That is sick. They paid below market rent for 10 years and held the owner hostage, now they deserve a prize for playing (and in a sense winning) that game? הרצחת וגם ירשת? The standards for ועשית הטוב והישר should go both ways and the landlord has certainly held up his part of that.

Why he gave them free money for 10 years is because he’s a tzadik, his tenant does not need to be and is not required.

Not you want to say he played tzadik for 10 years so now you owe more then Halacha or legal court???

Not sure how you see it different.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2022, 07:26:14 PM »
Why he gave them free money for 10 years is because he’s a tzadik, his tenant does not need to be and is not required.

Not you want to say he played tzadik for 10 years so now you owe more then Halacha or legal court???

Not sure how you see it different.

It's called being a כפוי טובה

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2022, 07:30:16 PM »
In the sefer "Landlord-Tenant in Halacha" by Rabbi Baruch Meir Levin, dayan in Lakewood.

First he writes that you cannot evict a tenant, then he adds:
"Notwithstanding, in an event where the landlord stands to endure a substantial loss by the tenant remaining in the apartment, he may be halachically allowed to terminate the lease prematurely."

Offline Sammyonetwo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »
It's called being a כפוי טובה

That’s assuming his tenants can actually afford higher rent without any issues to them.

I don’t think you have the right to assume that.

Halacha says this is what it is then it’s closed, they don’t need to go beyond what Halacha tells them because he did to them.

Especially if maybe they can’t afford more.

PS a married couple living in a basement for 10 years assuming they have a family is a pretty big sign one way.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2022, 07:37:47 PM »

Especially if maybe they can’t afford more.

PS a married couple living in a basement for 10 years assuming they have a family is a pretty big sign one way.
I don't believe this is part of the halacha