Author Topic: Global Entry renewal--no interview appt at all for 1 year  (Read 3569 times)

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Global Entry renewal--no interview appt at all for 1 year
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 10:57:02 PM »
I got after two days
Same here, applied Monday, conditional approval Tuesday afternoon, scheduled appointment Wed. Morning for same day at EWR, within < hour after appointment got an email with approval and KTN that I could use immediately. (This was a few weeks ago)

Ime if a person is flying with someone else that has precheck, they'll get precheck if they are on the same booking.

So that can help if one person on the booking has tsapre and on the way back in they'll take the interview.
I thought that was only for minors on the same booking, it works for adults too?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:01:51 PM by emp »

Offline Woofwoof

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2022, 11:42:02 PM »
I was conditionally approved within 2 days.

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2022, 12:00:49 AM »
Same here, applied Monday, conditional approval Tuesday afternoon, scheduled appointment Wed. Morning for same day at EWR, within < hour after appointment got an email with approval and KTN that I could use immediately. (This was a few weeks ago)
How did you get an appt so fast?

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2022, 02:55:49 AM »
How did you get an appt so fast?
some people cancel last minute, so if you keep on checking or get lucky you're able to snag those apointments.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2022, 09:43:08 AM »

I thought that was only for minors on the same booking, it works for adults too?

Ime adult got it.

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2022, 10:20:33 AM »
some people cancel last minute, so if you keep on checking or get lucky you're able to snag those apointments.
Yes, that is exactly what happened. I checked Tuesday evening and it said no appointments for next 12 months, refreshed a few times periodically but nothing useful came up (only random appointments a few months away and I'm traveling in August). I checked Wednesday morning and same no appointments available but refreshed a few times over the next hour and 2 appointments opened up, 1 same day for 11:45 and the other for that Friday. This was about 10am so I only had < 2 hours until the appointment but I WFH, didn't have any meetings scheduled for that time, and live within 15 min of EWR so was able to take the appointment on such short notice. They didn't even have me on the "list" when I went in but I just told them I scheduled it this morning and they were fine with that.

Overall if you refresh periodically appointments do open up but they go fast so you need to be quick to book of the time works for you. You can always schedule it and then keep on looking for a better time and reschedule if it comes up.

For my wife's appointment it was a little different, I was refreshing as I did for mine and after a while a whole block of appointments opened up for evening appointments, from 4pm - 10pm on Wednesday and Thursday for a few weeks in July. It shows at first 40+ available for each of those days and every refresh the number kept dropping. EWR on their website shows they are not opened in the evening so hopefully it's a legit appointment (didn't happen yet), I guess I'll find out soon.

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2022, 04:08:44 PM »

For my wife's appointment it was a little different, I was refreshing as I did for mine and after a while a whole block of appointments opened up for evening appointments, from 4pm - 10pm on Wednesday and Thursday for a few weeks in July. It shows at first 40+ available for each of those days and every refresh the number kept dropping. EWR on their website shows they are not opened in the evening so hopefully it's a legit appointment (didn't happen yet), I guess I'll find out soon.
Please update when you have info on the EWR evening appt. Ideally I would love such a slot.

Offline Woofwoof

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »
I spent almost two hours clicking the scheduling weblink for SFO Airport and finally got an appointment later in the month. Thank you for sharing.

For the entire two hours, there were four cancellations that appeared, but either they got snapped up quickly or that the TTP server went down. I got it the fourth time when somebody canceled.

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 09:33:05 PM »
Please update when you have info on the EWR evening appt. Ideally I would love such a slot.
I can confirm there are evening appointments at EWR.

Unfortunately it was not as smooth as my appointment (in and out in < 10 min) as my wife waited over an hour since she was 10 minutes late and didn't want to bother the person calling people in since they have signs up saying don't ask when you'll be called. She finally asked and they let her in. By that time she had to pay for parking for over 1h which was over $15 instead of just over $5 for < 1/2h. So my 2 free Global Entry from Cap 1 turned into costing about $20 total for parking so not really free (I would not have paid for GE as I don't travel that much but free I figured why not).

Bottom line, there are evening appointments at EWR but getting any appointment is hard enough so don't count on it opening up. I got really lucky and got it when an entire block of appointments opened, maybe it really is only those days I saw and not a regular thing, but if that's the case they might do the same again. I can confirm I saw evening appointments for Wednesday & Thursday July 6th & 7th and 13th & 14th, as late as 10:15pm. Good luck getting one though.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 12:20:32 AM »
I can confirm there are evening appointments at EWR.

Unfortunately it was not as smooth as my appointment (in and out in < 10 min) as my wife waited over an hour since she was 10 minutes late and didn't want to bother the person calling people in since they have signs up saying don't ask when you'll be called. She finally asked and they let her in. By that time she had to pay for parking for over 1h which was over $15 instead of just over $5 for < 1/2h. So my 2 free Global Entry from Cap 1 turned into costing about $20 total for parking so not really free (I would not have paid for GE as I don't travel that much but free I figured why not).

GE comes with precheck, and just using precheck for one trip in 5 years is more than worth it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 07:20:01 AM »
GE comes with precheck, and just using precheck for one trip in 5 years is more than worth it.
Yes, I'm aware, that is why I did it. In fact I don't know if I will ever actually use the GE since I'm likely always flying with the kids but I figured in 5 years maybe there's a chance I'll fly alone, and also precheck works with kids so at least I'll have that, assuming the airline supports it. From what I see ITA doesn't so looks like my upcoming trip the precheck is waisted. My bigger concern with my wife's experience is at least when we get to the airport this trip I can show her the hassle of going to the interview was worth it, but if ITA doesn't work with precheck then we're still gonna be stuck in regular lines and taking off shoes, etc. She won't be happy.

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2022, 03:22:06 PM »
FYI, Many evening appointments currently open for EWR from 7/20 thru 7/23. Book quickly if you need EWR as I'm sure they won't last long.

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2022, 05:06:54 PM »
FYI, Many evening appointments currently open for EWR from 7/20 thru 7/23. Book quickly if you need EWR as I'm sure they won't last long.
and gone...it was initially about 70 appointments available, now there is only 1 more and its in end of December.

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2022, 05:09:05 PM »
and gone...it was initially about 70 appointments available, now there is only 1 more and its in end of December.
Yes, I was just going to post. I only saw this two min ago, logged in and they were all gone. Thanks for the tip though!

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2022, 05:11:10 PM »

So what is it? They open up evening slots a week prior?

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2022, 05:13:04 PM »
Another question is, how is it possible that so many slots were taken and no new ones opened in the greater NY area?

Offline emp

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2022, 06:21:24 PM »
Another question is, how is it possible that so many slots were taken and no new ones opened in the greater NY area?
They did open up, but were also booked quickly. Initially I saw 70 slots ranging from July 20th through July 23rd. A refresh a few min. later showed 68 slots but only 65 were the July slots, the other 3 we're different and later in the fall. This pattern continued but the overall number still decreased, and the number of slots available for later months increased. So basically some people cancelled to take the July openings but others quickly came in and booked those too. It just means that there are far more people that need appointments than the current availability.

So what is it? They open up evening slots a week prior?
Last time I had seen this (when I got my wife's appt.) it was June 22nd in the morning and the slots were July 6th, 7th, 13th, & 14th. That was 2 weeks before and also that was in the morning vs now it's was afternoon and 20th through 23rd only. I don't think the claim "prior week" would be a valid assertion, I think the only valid claim is they do periodically open up more time slots, and appears to be done a week or two prior.

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2022, 08:27:24 PM »
They did open up, but were also booked quickly. Initially I saw 70 slots ranging from July 20th through July 23rd. A refresh a few min. later showed 68 slots but only 65 were the July slots, the other 3 we're different and later in the fall. This pattern continued but the overall number still decreased, and the number of slots available for later months increased. So basically some people cancelled to take the July openings but others quickly came in and booked those too. It just means that there are far more people that need appointments than the current availability.
Last time I had seen this (when I got my wife's appt.) it was June 22nd in the morning and the slots were July 6th, 7th, 13th, & 14th. That was 2 weeks before and also that was in the morning vs now it's was afternoon and 20th through 23rd only. I don't think the claim "prior week" would be a valid assertion, I think the only valid claim is they do periodically open up more time slots, and appears to be done a week or two prior.
Got it. Thanks for the info!