Topic Wiki

I created an account to say this

I am a survivor of abuse

I tried to type up a longer, more detailed post but it got too hard. The bottom line is the following

There's no such thing as universal feelings, reactions, desires, needs that all victims share. Each one is an individual who suffered alone and carries the unique scars that stay with them and each one will react to future situations in life in their own way.

Therefore, there is no single response to abuse that will leave all victims feeling safe, secure, validated, supported, closure and everything else all the well meaning people here want to give them.

However, I think there is a single response that would leave all victims feeling further pain and trauma and that is "It can't be."

Rabbi Shimon Russell - How to Safeguard and Protect our Children

https://youtu.be/fefqSvXf0JI

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 12, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Author Topic: Chaim Walder dies  (Read 127405 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Chaim Walder dies
« Reply #280 on: December 28, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
I guess you can start with the ones from the last 12-24 months.
I’m listening. How ? By most crimes the onus is on the accuser to prove a crime has been committed & the accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty. By such crimes we assume the accused is automatically guilty until he can prove his innocence, which is literally impossible.
Depends if there's proof.
The vast majority of these cases there’s no proof.

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2021, 05:32:51 PM »
I haven't (yet) seen anyone gloating about his death or saying he deserved to die.
I wish I lived in your world....  :(

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2021, 05:38:15 PM »
I’m listening. How ? By most crimes the onus is on the accuser to prove a crime has been committed & the accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty. By such crimes we assume the accused is automatically guilty until he can prove his innocence, which is literally impossible.

Step 1. Don't have 22 people testify against you, including several victims.
Visibly Jewish

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 28, 2021, 05:40:37 PM »
Step 1. Don't have 22 people testify against you, including several victims.
I’m not referring to this case specifically. I can bring you dozens of cases involving 1 allegation.
My point is once its out there, you’re screwed.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #284 on: December 28, 2021, 05:41:24 PM »
The vast majority of these cases there’s no proof.
Exactly why there is a Justice Kavanaugh today.
You can be certain that if 22 credible people showed up to testify that there would not be.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2021, 05:42:57 PM »
Exactly why there is a Justice Kavanaugh today.
You can be certain that if 22 credible people showed up to testify that there would not be.
He’d be president. :P

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2021, 05:46:13 PM »
im confused about the books. so if he did sincere tshuva it would then be okay to read his books? are they objectionable per se, or is shunning the books strictly a way of sending a message not to condone what he allegedly did

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 28, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »
What about if they find out about the author later in life?
Are you scarred by having read his books? Finding out something later in life is not the most impactful thing.

Rav Mattisyahu Solomon writes a similar thing about music. If one does not know that the source of a song is non-Jewish, it won't adversely effect them. But if they know while they are listening that it's a non-Jewish song, it will have a negative impact on them.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2021, 06:08:34 PM »
Are you scarred by having read his books? Finding out something later in life is not the most impactful thing.

Rav Mattisyahu Solomon writes a similar thing about music. If one does not know that the source of a song is non-Jewish, it won't adversely effect them. But if they know while they are listening that it's a non-Jewish song, it will have a negative impact on them.

I don't think my kids will be scarred from reading his books. I do think they will troubled and confused by why I allowed them to read books written by an alleged rasha.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 28, 2021, 06:13:07 PM »
My two cents... If a person guilty of such crimes is a "regular" person who sinned, then perhaps it's OK to read his books; anyone who reads non-Jewish books is not vetting the author's morals, either. IF he's a psychopathic monster- no way am I or my kids going to read them. How should we view such people, in general?
Makes sense or not?

Offline momo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2021, 06:19:01 PM »

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
I don't think my kids will be scarred from reading his books. I do think they will troubled and confused by why I allowed them to read books written by an alleged rasha.
I think it would depend on what the investigation turns up. If botei din declare that he was guilty of destroying lives, yes, it would be hard to justify to kids why you let them read his books. But if investigations are inconclusive, it's much easier to have books written by 'colorful people'. In fact, many books, music, and other things we enjoy have a sullied history.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 28, 2021, 06:28:19 PM »
My two cents... If a person guilty of such crimes is a "regular" person who sinned, then perhaps it's OK to read his books; anyone who reads non-Jewish books is not vetting the author's morals, either. IF he's a psychopathic monster- no way am I or my kids going to read them. How should we view such people, in general?
Makes sense or not?
The one you think is a regular person can be the biggest
psychopathic monster

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 28, 2021, 06:33:00 PM »
im confused about the books. so if he did sincere tshuva it would then be okay to read his books? are they objectionable per se, or is shunning the books strictly a way of sending a message not to condone what he allegedly did
Define that. You cant ruin someone's life and then just get a get out of jail card.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 28, 2021, 06:55:10 PM »
The abuse cases happen to those whose parents didn't talk to them in advance. Those who had talks with their parents about "the bees and the birds" and about urges and difficulties, are by far less likely to be victims of abuse.

I once had a lengthy conversation with someone whose job it is to deal with abuse victims in our communities.

She made it very clear that  the victims she deals with are overwhelmingly those who come from broken homes and are in a vulnerable state.

Unfortunately that is the same profile that the public is quick to discredit if they do say something. And that's in the rare scenario where they have both the courage to tell someone, and someone they feel they can tell.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 28, 2021, 07:07:48 PM »
By the way something I haven’t seen mentioned yet is that it is very often the victims who go on to become the next perpetrators. For all we know there is quite a good chance that even if Rav Eliyahu can be trusted and is accurately portraying things which is far from a given, Walder would likely have been the victim of more than just his yetzer hara. To say he isn’t going up to shomayim is quite presumptuous to say the least.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 28, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »
By the way something I haven’t seen mentioned yet is that it is very often the victims who go on to become the next perpetrators. For all we know there is quite a good chance that even if Rav Eliyahu can be trusted and is accurately portraying things which is far from a given, Walder would likely have been the victim of more than just his yetzer hara. To say he isn’t going up to shomayim is quite presumptuous to say the least.
1)Being a victim doesn’t excuse becoming a perpetrator.
2) Who said he isn’t going to שמים ? He’s in עולם האמת now. Hashem knows what he did/didn’t do.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »
I think it would depend on what the investigation turns up. If botei din declare that he was guilty of destroying lives, yes, it would be hard to justify to kids why you let them read his books. But if investigations are inconclusive, it's much easier to have books written by 'colorful people'. In fact, many books, music, and other things we enjoy have a sullied history.
There is at least one that already has
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2021, 07:30:22 PM »

The concern is not only when they are an adult. They can easily find out from a friend who sees the book or wants to borrow it. The concern is that it seems a mixed message to the children when they know their parents tolerated it. I hear the concern.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2021, 07:34:22 PM »
1)Being a victim doesn’t excuse becoming a perpetrator.
2) Who said he isn’t going to שמים ? He’s in עולם האמת now. Hashem knows what he did/didn’t do.
“Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu, chief rabbi of Tzfat, on Tuesday spoke about the suicide of author Chaim Walder, saying Walder "will not go to Heaven."

In an interview with Kan Reshet Bet, Rabbi Eliyahu said, "He will not go to Heaven at all. People like that do not go to Heaven. The suicide was predicable - in an attempt to silence the victims, he threatened to kill himself."