Topic Wiki

I created an account to say this

I am a survivor of abuse

I tried to type up a longer, more detailed post but it got too hard. The bottom line is the following

There's no such thing as universal feelings, reactions, desires, needs that all victims share. Each one is an individual who suffered alone and carries the unique scars that stay with them and each one will react to future situations in life in their own way.

Therefore, there is no single response to abuse that will leave all victims feeling safe, secure, validated, supported, closure and everything else all the well meaning people here want to give them.

However, I think there is a single response that would leave all victims feeling further pain and trauma and that is "It can't be."

Rabbi Shimon Russell - How to Safeguard and Protect our Children

https://youtu.be/fefqSvXf0JI

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 12, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Author Topic: Chaim Walder dies  (Read 127583 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Chaim Walder dies
« Reply #880 on: January 04, 2022, 01:46:05 PM »
Aha...so lets let children get their lives ruined because I don't want to get sued by a abuser. I'm really catching on to the mindset here.

Says who. He does move for victims then you do. When you do as much as him you can judge him.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 04, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
And if it is? If we ask leaders to take a stand, we shouldn't chastise them when they do. This is like the frum SJW feminist on Twitter who decried people not standing up for abuse survivors, and when people did, she screamed at them for speaking up and said now it's time for them to be quiet and just listen to the people who have been fighting until now.

There is a nuanced point here (not the one that you or the SJWs were making) that when everyone is silent we cajole them to do something to support the victims, and once they do start talking we might suggest that they’re talking too much or saying the wrong things.

Yes, I know that wasn’t what you were talking about.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 04, 2022, 01:56:24 PM »
You totally missed my point and are clearly not following.

Abusers build a relationship with their victim that keeps things from getting discovered. You give way too much credit to parents (and even to professionals, where there are many people in the field a small fraction of which are highly competent) to figure out what’s what. Oftentimes predators specifically prey on those who are neglected because they are both more susceptible and there’s less chance of getting caught.
I think you missed my point.

Most victims do not walk into a professionals office and say "I need help because I was abused". It is generally something else that triggers a parent or teacher/principal to bring the child to the professional or they themself go for help with the troubles that may have been caused by the abuse, where the abuse is subsequently uncovered. I don't see how a serial abuser can stop this from happening. Is there something else I'm missing?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 04, 2022, 02:13:22 PM »
I think you missed my point.

Most victims do not walk into a professionals office and say "I need help because I was abused". It is generally something else that triggers a parent or teacher/principal to bring the child to the professional or they themself go for help with the troubles that may have been caused by the abuse, where the abuse is subsequently uncovered. I don't see how a serial abuser can stop this from happening. Is there something else I'm missing?

Yes. A serial abuser had more experience in identifying targets and cultivating them in a way that prevents the abuse from ever being uncovered. To put things differently (and it’s an extremely unfortunate reality to have to spell out), children who get serially abused (often by the same abuser) learn to cope with their abuse pretty well, and oftentimes it only manifests in their life during teenage years or later. Vs. another more normal child who wasn’t groomed into it from whom the overnight traumatic effects of abuse are more significant and thus noticible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #884 on: January 04, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
Aha...so lets let children get their lives ruined because I don't want to get sued by a abuser. I'm really catching on to the mindset here.
WOW.because it will be so productive for him to be caught up in court and him and his organization bankrupt. That will solve the problem.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 04, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 04, 2022, 02:47:30 PM »
He has been dealing with abusers and victims for a couple of decades. I think he was there for the victims whether they were willing to testify to law enforcement or not.
Law enforcement and courts are more set up for dealing with this than a Beis Din that has no teeth. It's unfortunate.
I am not sure why you dafka pick on him? He was actually doing something for almost 2 decades when in the beginning the community's response was just to sweep it under the carpet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:51:32 PM by shwarmabob »

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 04, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
If it gains momentum nobody will be able to stop it.

Ironically, that's when I start worrying about false accusations.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 04, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »

Legit concern, which is why there’s due process, and unfortunately one reason it’s hard to convict abusers.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 04, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
Oy, hopefully this will start a #MeToo effect
Heard that R Asher Weiss suspects that there are 10-15 more people in the chareidi community like this (high profile etc), and he's pushing for more investigations.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 04, 2022, 03:40:13 PM »
Heard that R Asher Weiss suspects that there are 10-15 more people in the chareidi community like this (high profile etc), and he's pushing for more investigations.

Certainly possible, and a scary thought at the same time. I wonder where he got the number? There must be accusers, or he wouldn't be pushing for investigations...

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 04, 2022, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #892 on: January 04, 2022, 04:38:05 PM »

This makes it important for there to be a trustworthy investigative infrastructure to review such accusations instead of it remaining the domain of those looking to undermine Yiddishkeit.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 04, 2022, 04:39:07 PM »
This makes it important for there to be a trustworthy investigative infrastructure to review such accusations instead of it remaining the domain of those looking to undermine Yiddishkeit.

https://mishpacha.com/for-this-we-weep/

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #894 on: January 04, 2022, 05:29:13 PM »
As we all should be. The one thing worse than false accusations is no accusations at all.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 04, 2022, 05:31:21 PM »
This was my point all along.
At least we now agree on something.

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 04, 2022, 06:01:12 PM »
Its not his job to take on the world. He helps the victims/ parents, he can advise them on how to proceed forward & what the options are. He’s begging institutions & everybody else publicly to take it serious. Ultimately it’s up to the victims and/or parents on where they want to take it from there.
You’re expecting him to take on every school that has an allegation on one of its teachers ?
Says who. He does move for victims then you do. When you do as much as him you can judge him.
Do not stand by idly when your friends blood is spilled. If you know there's an abuser at x school, how can you Halachically remain silent?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 04, 2022, 07:06:36 PM »
Do not stand by idly when your friends blood is spilled. If you know there's an abuser at x school, how can you Halachically remain silent?

Stop trolling. Saying Yakov Horowitz stands idly by is like calling Warren Buffet a pauper.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 04, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
Stop trolling. Saying Yakov Horowitz stands idly by is like calling Warren Buffet a pauper.
Took some time for you to realize that he's a troll and was banned already in the past (unless we're wrong with who we suspect he is).  :D

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 04, 2022, 07:08:10 PM »
Watching Rabbi Horowitz and how he speaks to so many survivors on a regular basis, etc. and this mind boggling question comes to mind.

WHY DOESN'T HE RELEASE A LIST OF ALL THESE ABUSERS??

Why is it that only after someone else breaks a story he jumps on the story with overwhelming expertise? Can you imagine how many lives he can save by releasing a list of THE abusers so we all know who they are, so we can make sure our children stay away from them?
He doesn't release the list because when he does he gets sued. Even when he warned about a guy who was already a known/registered offender Rabbi Horowitz got sued.
The only way to deal with this appears to be law enforcement and the courts. Victims should be helped, abusers should be reported.
Let's hope that the innocent will be found innocent and only the guilty gets punished.
CMIIW, he knows of abusers but doesn't release the list because he is worried of getting sued?