Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 567454 times)

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #1820 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
Imo there's a difference between knowing that the seller is making money and how much the seller is making. Typically someone selling sometging it's making money but in commission sales that's not as clear and should be portrayed.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
I think people in business are generally allowed to make money, but they should disclose that they are. If you own a store that's the assumption. If I'm getting you a deal on something there's no reason for me not to say that I'm getting a commission, but you're still getting a great deal.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: March 19, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
Is it ethical to be a broker on something w/o telling the buyer that you're making money on him?
If you are acting as a go between (broker) you have to disclose that you have an interest in making the sale.
Otherwise he may be relying on your opinion as an uninterested third party.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1823 on: March 19, 2015, 02:23:53 PM »
If you are acting as a go between (broker) you have to disclose that you have an interest in making the sale.
Otherwise he may be relying on your opinion as an uninterested third party.
I think the main issue is that he shouldn't think you are an uninterested party. Saying that the seller is paying you a commission is fine
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 19, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
Not sure if this is necessarily an ethics question, but don't want to start a new thread just for this.

There is a jeweler whom I have been buying for many years from. Very trustworthy guy.

Recently, I went there to purchase a watch for my wife. He doesn't really carry high-end watches, just mostly $500 or less (Which was fine for this particular occasion.) I was a little weary that with all the online watch retailers around, and all those sales, I might not be getting the best price from my jeweler, but I trusted that he would give me a fair deal which would at least come close to a good deal at one of the online watch retailers. (I always anyway assumed that most of these online "sales" were actually the real market value anyway, but they simply trumped up the MSRP to make it look like a good deal.)

After making my purchase, I couldn't help but check online to see if I got a decent deal (being a DDF member and all..), and low and behold, the same product online was $75 less.

Now, I have several options:

• Let it be. The guy is a local retailer, he can't offer the prices offered online, plus, it's too sentimental a purchase and too small an amount to bicker over.
  • Ask the guy to match the price.
  • Get a detailed receipt, and ask Amex to reimburse the price difference. (I purchased with an Amex.)

I'm curious what other people's thoughts are on this.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: March 19, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1826 on: March 19, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »
^^^

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: March 19, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
Not sure if this is necessarily an ethics question, but don't want to start a new thread just for this.

There is a jeweler whom I have been buying for many years from. Very trustworthy guy.

Recently, I went there to purchase a watch for my wife. He doesn't really carry high-end watches, just mostly $500 or less (Which was fine for this particular occasion.) I was a little weary that with all the online watch retailers around, and all those sales, I might not be getting the best price from my jeweler, but I trusted that he would give me a fair deal which would at least come close to a good deal at one of the online watch retailers. (I always anyway assumed that most of these online "sales" were actually the real market value anyway, but they simply trumped up the MSRP to make it look like a good deal.)

After making my purchase, I couldn't help but check online to see if I got a decent deal (being a DDF member and all..), and low and behold, the same product online was $75 less.

• Let it be. The guy is a local retailer, he can't offer the prices offered online, plus, it's too sentimental a purchase and too small an amount to bicker over.
  • Get a detailed receipt, and ask Amex to reimburse the price difference. (I purchased with an Amex.)

Most ppl will probably say #3 as that gets you the best of both worlds. If Amex doesnt do it for you (for whatever reason) you already answered your own question by saying its too little an amount to bicker over for the sentimental value it has and the loyalty you have to him.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: March 19, 2015, 05:12:26 PM »

I thought that might be a popular answer here lol. Thing is, shouldn't I be upfront with the guy? Why jump through hoops? It also means asking for a detailed receipt, and I wonder if he will pick up on what I need that for...

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: March 19, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »
I thought that might be a popular answer here lol. Thing is, shouldn't I be upfront with the guy? Why jump through hoops? It also means asking for a detailed receipt, and I wonder if he will pick up on what I need that for...

You already admitted to yourself that he would never be able to match online prices as a local retailer. Why did you go in the first place if you were gonna confront him about the cheaper option online?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline bigbadmoish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: March 19, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »
may I ask what the price diff was?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 19, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
Tell him what the receipt is for.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 19, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
may I ask what the price diff was?

$75

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 19, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
You already admitted to yourself that he would never be able to match online prices as a local retailer. Why did you go in the first place if you were gonna confront him about the cheaper option online?

As I stated, I actually was uncertain as to whether or not the online retailers are cheaper. Online retailers are very good at manipulating the numbers to give the appearance of a great sale. In this particular case, it turned out to indeed be cheaper online. I only came into this information after the fact.

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 19, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »
I don't know the facts on the table which makes it hard to answer this question.
When you get a lounge club card through your ink is
1. Lounge club giving you two free visits because of some relationship with Chase
Or
2. Chase is paying lounge club for the two visits?

In either case would it be ok to go into a lounge with a lounge club card from a cancelled ink?
I would assume if the answer is 1 then it should be ok but if it's 2 and now lounge club is going to be stiffed it should be no.
Anyone know the facts or disagree with my logic?

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 20, 2015, 01:44:54 AM »
As I stated, I actually was uncertain as to whether or not the online retailers are cheaper. Online retailers are very good at manipulating the numbers to give the appearance of a great sale. In this particular case, it turned out to indeed be cheaper online. I only came into this information after the fact.
I don't understand why you would hesitate to tell him the reason for a detailed receipt.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 20, 2015, 01:48:33 AM »

You are never going to get the best price on a watch when purchasing on an Amex. Any credit card for that matter.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 20, 2015, 01:53:31 AM »
You are never going to get the best price on a watch when purchasing on an Amex. Any credit card for that matter.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 20, 2015, 01:58:40 AM »

Not exactly what I was referring to. I thought everyone had an uncle in the business (longtime close friend in my case).
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 20, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
Here's one that Im in middle of:

A vendor that  does work for me offered me a money for any referrals I bring to him and signup with his services. A few weeks ago My working partner got an email from a friend of ours asking about who we use for the service that above vendor provides. Since I deal with this vendor and would be able to advise our friend properly he forwarded the email to me. After speaking to me he signed on with my vendor. Do I share the referral bonus with my partner?
Not sure if this is relevant, but at the time he forwarded me the email he was not aware that I was offered a referral incentive.