Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* It's most likely not ethical.

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 295465 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8015
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
I wish companies had a way you can donate money to them. I have had a few companies that I made money off of their mistakes that I would like to give back to them, but AFAIK there is no way.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
I wish companies had a way you can donate money to them. I have had a few companies that I made money off of their mistakes that I would like to give back to them, but AFAIK there is no way.
buy merchandise and return it without a return label :P use your imagination ;)

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:12 AM »
You can buy gift cards and destroy them. You can probably call them and tell them that you want to make a payment for some old mistake. (You can send them amazon payments or paypal - just make sure that they get the cash)
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2012, 08:53:04 AM »
Setting up multiple accounts for websites like diapers.com that give a discount on first order.

Let's assume I deem this unethical. What about setting up an account for each member of the household? Is that ok?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Setting up multiple accounts for websites like diapers.com that give a discount on first order.

Let's assume I deem this unethical. What about setting up an account for each member of the household? Is that ok?
I would say as long as they are not minors it would be OK.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
I would say as long as they are not minors it would be OK.
Why would minors it be able to set up accounts? I ordered things online before I was 18 albeit with parents permission.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised in the answer, I would think being honest is obligatory regardless of what type of person made the mistake.

Another approach I recently heard:

The way of the world is, essentially, finders keepers, losers weepers. Jews, however, are commanded to go above and beyond for their fellow brethren.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
Why would minors it be able to set up accounts? I ordered things online before I was 18 albeit with parents permission.
I just donít set up accounts in minorís names to get around requirements.

Offline AEK1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
i think the fact that this is an open public forum which ANYONE can access puts a big responsibility on you DAN to either sensor or discontinue this thread altogether as your opening yourself up to chillul hashem which is very chumoor!

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
i think the fact that this is an open public forum which ANYONE can access puts a big responsibility on you DAN to either sensor or discontinue this thread altogether as your opening yourself up to chillul hashem which is very chumoor!
So Dan is responsible for the ethical behavior of all the members?

Offline AEK1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
he's definetly not responsible for what others do or say BUT IS RESPONSIBLE TO MODERATE WHAT HE ALLOWS  TO BE POSTED HERE
 AND HE DOES MODERATE  comments regarding ads that are on this site when the comments are negative against the companies that are paying him for their ads (which he is entitled to do)
BUT THE SAME VIGILANCE SHOULD BE APPLIED TO ANY POST THAT IS LOSHON HARA,MOTZEE SHEM RA,RECHILUS, AND CHILLUL HASHEM
this is his site he set it up hes a frum torah jew and presumably would apply his religion to his
business interests as well

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
he's definetly not responsible for what others do or say BUT IS RESPONSIBLE TO MODERATE WHAT HE ALLOWS  TO BE POSTED HERE
 AND HE DOES MODERATE  comments regarding ads that are on this site when the comments are negative against the companies that are paying him for their ads (which he is entitled to do)
BUT THE SAME VIGILANCE SHOULD BE APPLIED TO ANY POST THAT IS LOSHON HARA,MOTZEE SHEM RA,RECHILUS, AND CHILLUL HASHEM
this is his site he set it up hes a frum torah jew and presumably would apply his religion to his

I'm not saying you're wrong, but one friendly piece of advice. People will probably take you more seriously if you use punctuation liberally and CAPITALS conservatively. 
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
Since I am not Jewish, Google got a workout on your post. I will just say you have an interesting view point and will leave it at that.

Offline AEK1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
 never did well in grammer :)
though point taken

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
never did well in grammer :)
though point taken
or spelling
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.