Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 563180 times)

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #2520 on: December 08, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »

How do you know what the restrictions are for the manipulated code if you've created it yourself? Maybe Save10 is open to the public and Save90 is for employees only?

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: December 08, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »
Alternative take: if the store wishes to restrict certain discounts to specific people or groups, it's the store's responsibility to verify the intended users are using it before giving the customer the product. Not verifying authentic use can be seen as sanctioning the transaction.

Would this also apply to a manipulated coupon code? Should the store verify that the code is legitimate, and if not, it sanctions its usage?

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2522 on: December 08, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
How do you know what the restrictions are for the manipulated code if you've created it yourself? Maybe Save10 is open to the public and Save90 is for employees only?

The cynic in me says if a store's employee discount code is SAVE90, they deserve what they get. Don't leave your store untended.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:20:37 AM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

A store has an obligation to safeguard the coupons they honor.

For a coupon meant only for cc holders, they can make it work only when paying with their cc.
For employee discounts, they can require an employee number during checkout.

They can program their system better to not allow repeat use.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2524 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
Would this also apply to a manipulated coupon code? Should the store verify that the code is legitimate, and if not, it sanctions its usage?

If a code is for specific usage or users, then yes. Unless we're talking about straight up hacking a system, which is like breaking into a store.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: December 08, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
If a code is for specific usage or users, then yes. Unless we're talking about straight up hacking a system, which is like breaking into a store.

Let's say I get an e-mail coupon ABCD1234 which gives me $10 off any purchase, but then I discover that coupon code ABCD5678 also gives me $10 off. Permitted? Is that hacking?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: December 08, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
Let's say I get an e-mail coupon ABCD1234 which gives me $10 off any purchase, but then I discover that coupon code ABCD5678 also gives me $10 off. Permitted? Is that hacking?

Hacking is picking the lock, not trying the handle and finding it open.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2527 on: December 08, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
Hacking is picking the lock, not trying the handle and finding it open.
If you go to a store at 3am and find the handle unlocked what can you take?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: December 08, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
If you go to a store at 3am and find the handle unlocked what can you take?

What difference does it make if it's 3 am or 3 pm? If the store is open, buy what you want  :P

It wasn't a great analogy. The point is, discovering something is on sale is not the same as breaking in. Is the sale for you? Don't know. If there's no sign that says it isn't and they don't stop you from buying, why should you assume it isn't?

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: December 08, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »
Is it ethical to use coupons intended for somebody else, or to manipulate coupons so as to provide a different benefit than intended? Does the value of the coupon matter?

Examples:
Store ABC sends a 10% off coupon to its credit card mailing list and the terms of the coupon state that it’s only intended for use by the recipients, yet the coupon works for everyone. Can it be used by non-credit card holders?
Store ABC has an 80% off coupon for employees only. Can non-employees use it?
Store ABC send out a “Save10” coupon open to everyone, but you figure out that “Save25” also works with greater savings. Is that permitted?
Store ABC send a one time use coupon for a discount, and you discover a way to manipulate the code so that it works multiple times. Is that allowed?

For the purposes of these questions, assume that the store wants the coupons to be used only as intended. Don’t say that the store is just happy to be making a sale, for that it’s part of a marketing plan.

If your answers differ depending on the situation, please explain why.

I think there are two issues here:

Issue 1: a)if you know that that he code isn't meant for you or b) you manipulated the code to exact a different discount - probably not ethical

Issue 2: you use a plug in that runs through codes - like Honey - or you get it from a third party - this, IMHO, is less unethical - because you have no real way of knowing if it was publicly intended or not.

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: December 08, 2020, 01:39:10 PM »
Funny, since I was buying a Groupon recently. There was a banner on the website of save10 for 10% off, or something like that, so I tried it.
I got a message that that coupon doesn't work, but there is 20% off coupon available for my transaction, and to click to apply :)

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: December 08, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »
Coupon codes are far beyond it's infancy. Any store creating a generic coupon made specifically for employers (and especially CC holders), is fully aware that the code will be shared and used by it's "improper" audience, as a buyer I'd assume they are fine with it.

In other words, saying the buyer made a code SAVE20 and intended it to be only used by CC holders, IMHO isn't a valid statement.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #2532 on: December 17, 2020, 03:52:29 AM »
But do you agree that if you do know pretty much that this code is meant for someone else and not you, does the fact that they did not safeguard their system better make it ok for you to use it?

I think the analogy is good - if a store left their door open by mistake, does it mean you can steal from them? And if they are "ok" with it, meaning they know there will be some people who steal with the system (for example, using items and then returning it claiming they are unused), does that make it ok?

In other words, when someone else does something wrong, does it make it ok for us to do something wrong?
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #2533 on: December 17, 2020, 03:53:44 AM »
A separate question, is it ok to ask a vendor for a discount based on Covid, if you personally have not lost income due to Covid?

Does it make it ethical if other people are doing it?
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: December 17, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »
But do you agree that if you do know pretty much that this code is meant for someone else and not you, does the fact that they did not safeguard their system better make it ok for you to use it?

I think the analogy is good - if a store left their door open by mistake, does it mean you can steal from them? And if they are "ok" with it, meaning they know there will be some people who steal with the system (for example, using items and then returning it claiming they are unused), does that make it ok?

In other words, when someone else does something wrong, does it make it ok for us to do something wrong?
I don't believe that's a correct analogy, since majority of times the coupon codes and discounts benefit the seller, them choosing a generic code to send out to all their card members not only helps the card members feel more exclusive, but additionally those who get their hands on the code will think it's a better deal then if they got the code themselves. It's a much more effective marketing strategy IMO.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline motec bb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: December 17, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
Say you buy something online for $50, use it, but then see the identical item later somewhere else for $25, can you buy the $25 item and return it to the place you bought the $50 item?
Ethical?

( the $25 item is identical and brand new)

Does מיגו apply?

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: December 17, 2020, 03:02:11 PM »
Say you buy something online for $50, use it, but then see the identical item later somewhere else for $25, can you buy the $25 item and return it to the place you bought the $50 item?
Ethical?

Does מיגו apply?
Halachically I don't know. The kinyan is most probably on the exact item.

Ethically - I'd be comfortable doing that
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #2537 on: December 18, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »
Ethical?

Does מיגו apply?
Not comfortable with that ethically, because the only way to have used it for those few days was to have bought it from the $50 place. But if the $25 place had the sale all along - I’d have to think about it.

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: December 18, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »
Ethical?
Buying something at one place and returning it to another place is not only unethical but illegal.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2539 on: December 18, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
Buying something at one place and returning it to another place is not only unethical but illegal.
Welcome back.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.