Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* It's most likely not ethical.

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 299899 times)

Online mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Who cares?
thats why its called rationalizing

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8015
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Is this thread only for deal related ethics or general ethics? If the answer is the latter I have a question. I lifeguard by a pool and I saw a father hitting his 5 year old child multiple times on his bottom for a fairly inconsequential thing, I could see a real anger in the fathers face as if he was hitting him because he was actually mad. What would you do?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Is this thread only for deal related ethics or general ethics? If the answer is the latter I have a question. I lifeguard by a pool and I saw a father hitting his 5 year old child multiple times on his bottom for a fairly inconsequential thing, I could see a real anger in the fathers face as if he was hitting him because he was actually mad. What would you do?
Ask a shaila and hope the answer is that it's mutar to report the father.
Are you a mandated reporter?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Ask a shaila and hope the answer is that it's mutar to report the father.
Are you a mandated reporter?
Not as far as I know. Its a frum pool so legal issues aren't usually a problem like that...

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
Not as far as I know. Its a frum pool so legal issues aren't usually a problem like that...
Nothing to do with the pool you work at. I wonder if a lifeguard is a mandated reporter. If you are and you don't report it's possible to get into major trouble(although probably unlikely in this case)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
Nothing to do with the pool you work at. I wonder if a lifeguard is a mandated reporter. If you are and you don't report it's possible to get into major trouble(although probably unlikely in this case)
I've been giving life guarding courses for a few years and I have never seen in any of the red cross books or online references anything mentioning that a lifeguard is a mandated reporter. (If I am wrong that'd be quite embarrassing but I really don't think I am)

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »
Per the NYC websitea lifeguard is not by definition a mandated reporter, although depending on the circumstances its possible you would come under a different obligation such as a 'school official'
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Per the NYC websitea lifeguard is not by definition a mandated reporter, although depending on the circumstances its possible you would come under a different obligation such as a 'school official'
Phew thanks! But seriously what would you guys do in this situation. Would you confront the father? Call the mother? Tell his Rav? Nothing at all (it is his kid after all)?

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
Phew thanks! But seriously what would you guys do in this situation. Would you confront the father? Call the mother? Tell his Rav? Nothing at all (it is his kid after all)?
I don't think this is substantial enough in itself to contact child services, but I would look for a very responsible family member (grandparent, etc) and alert him. I would probably speak to the rebbi or menhal in the school. I would question them and make sure they intend to follow up seriously, and if all else fails call child services (or one of their frum affiliates).
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
if you are young it would prob make it worse as he wont want to listen to you. if you are older you prob should try to say something in a way that he will accept. maybe tell him that as the lifeguard its your responsibility

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »
I would probably speak to the rebbi or menhal in the school. I would question them and make sure they intend to follow up seriously, and if all else fails call child services (or one of their frum affiliates).
+1

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2012, 12:45:59 AM »
If you suspect abuse or maltreatment of the child you should report it.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »
and if all else fails call child services (or one of their frum affiliates).
get a heter before, so you shouldn't have mesira/erkaot problems

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2012, 03:39:35 AM »
get a heter before, so you shouldn't have mesira/erkaot problems
I don't think this is substantial enough in itself to contact child services, but I would look for a very responsible family member (grandparent, etc) and alert him. I would probably speak to the rebbi or menhal in the school. I would question them and make sure they intend to follow up seriously, and if all else fails call child services (or one of their frum affiliates).
I'm not so familiar with it, but there should be professional frum organizitions with rabbincal service built in.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
Follow up but I think an important point is context. Why did the father get mad? Is something going on in his life etc? Do you know him and his circumstances? Al tadin es chaverhca ad shetagia limkomo. But OTOH, be diligent.
siyag lachachma :-)