Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 565809 times)

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #2660 on: July 04, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
Hmm tough question. I'm leaning towards that you shouldn't say it's available for cheaper. Unless you know the buyer is clueless.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2661 on: July 04, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »
I was going to post this post in this thread, but instead of hijacking an active thread,
Thanks for not hijacking my thread ;)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2662 on: July 04, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
Hmm tough question. I'm leaning towards that you shouldn't say it's available for cheaper. Unless you know the buyer is clueless.
Fascinating. Why do you feel that way?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: July 04, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
Do you feel there is a difference if it's available for a few percentage points cheaper or a more significant amount?

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 04, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »
Do you feel there is a difference if it's available for a few percentage points cheaper or a more significant amount?

I think so. If it just a few dollars cheaper I would not get involved but if it seemed to me the person is getting ripped off then I think I would say something. 

Offline drosenberg88429

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: July 04, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »
I was going to post this post in this thread, but instead of hijacking an active thread, I'm posting it here. Please see there for context of this question:

This is not a new question, rather it comes up very often. Someone posts a "Selling product for $x", and you know that the product is readily available for cheaper on a certain website.

Are you allowed/obligated to post it, or are you messing up his potential sale?

Should be halacha, I think. AYLOR.

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 04, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
Fascinating. Why do you feel that way?
I guess because everyone was happy. If the buyer was very concerned about getting the best deal they would've researched and asked around more.
Once it gets in to ripoff territory
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2667 on: July 04, 2021, 07:24:28 PM »
I guess because everyone was happy. If the buyer was very concerned about getting the best deal they would've researched and asked around more.Once it gets in to ripoff territory
So basically you’re saying if the difference was negligible you wouldn’t bother saying something (you don’t think you’re obligated to), but if it was sizable you’d likely mention something. Did I get you correctly?

In these hypothetical cases (where the difference in price is slight), do you think it’s specifically commendable/obligatory to not say something, or would you just not bother?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2668 on: July 04, 2021, 07:25:00 PM »
What do you think Halacha would dictate?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2669 on: July 04, 2021, 07:28:19 PM »
Not exactly the same question, and I’m not sure how it would apply here, but an interesting perspective

https://baishavaad.org/directing-customers-to-the-cheapest-store/

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: July 04, 2021, 07:38:54 PM »

Afaik Halacha is 1/6th over or under the market price.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2671 on: July 04, 2021, 07:40:31 PM »
That’s when the transaction is assur and reversible post facto, here we are dealing with advising a consumer of a price difference beforehand.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2672 on: July 04, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
That anything here should be done with extreme care
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2673 on: July 04, 2021, 07:45:38 PM »

A distinction should be made between a regular marketplace, and a site such as this one, where most people's intent is not to stam buy, but to find the best deals available.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Happyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: July 05, 2021, 04:34:31 AM »
A distinction should be made between a regular marketplace, and a site such as this one, where most people's intent is not to stam buy, but to find the best deals available.

+1000 on the point but if you read the thread in question, a guy was selling flights as a travel agent. So I don't you know if you have that logic by that thread by in general I agree with your point.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: July 05, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »
+1000 on the point but if you read the thread in question, a guy was selling flights as a travel agent. So I don't you know if you have that logic by that thread by in general I agree with your point.
As he's using this site as his selling platform, he abides by the forum feel / rules/ etiquette.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 07, 2021, 09:03:30 AM »
Is it ethical to tell 'rechilus' to someone if I overheard someone saying something nice about him?

I was sitting in a restaraunt and couldn't help but hear the conversation at a table a few feet from me. Someone who I don't know well (but I do know his name) was sitting there and said something be nice about a close friend of mine. I'd love to tell my friend as it would obviously nice for him to hear that this person thinks highly of him, but on the other hand I feel like it's an invasion of the other guy's privacy as I wasn't supposed to hear it. What would you do?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2677 on: July 07, 2021, 09:12:21 AM »
Is it ethical to tell 'rechilus' to someone if I overheard someone saying something nice about him?

I was sitting in a restaraunt and couldn't help but hear the conversation at a table a few feet from me. Someone who I don't know well (but I do know his name) was sitting there and said something be nice about a close friend of mine. I'd love to tell my friend as it would obviously nice for him to hear that this person thinks highly of him, but on the other hand I feel like it's an invasion of the other guy's privacy as I wasn't supposed to hear it. What would you do?

IMO, it's not your place to say something, but I don't think it would be a serious ethical problem if you did.

As an aside, people should learn something from this. If you think highly of someone or of something they did, tell them. Positive feedback can impact people's lives in amazing ways.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 07, 2021, 10:09:50 AM »

Why don't you repeat the info but don't say the guys name?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 07, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
As an aside, people should learn something from this. If you think highly of someone or of something they did, tell them. Positive feedback can impact people's lives in amazing ways.
+1000

That is an excellent point, just as you usually make. I really enjoy reading your insightful posts!  :P

(I really do! Even though I'm obviously only writing it here to be funny, the sentiment remains 100 percent true.)