Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 567395 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #2840 on: June 28, 2023, 07:52:05 PM »
2 boys around 14 or 15 asked me to buy a lighter for them since the store didn't let. What would you do? I told them I'm not comfortable buying it for them.

In general I like that attitude and hope they continue to be that way and don't change. I wish I had a bolder personality to clarify that I really don't care if they smoke other than the fact that it affects their mood if they get addicted. I'm not even sure if that's the only thing that I don't like about it.

I had the opportunity in the store and I had the opportunity when they got out (with the lighters). Alas I'm a chicken.
What makes you think that it was in order to smoke?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 28, 2023, 08:18:12 PM »
What makes you think that it was in order to smoke?
You're right. It was an assumption of mine
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 29, 2023, 03:13:02 PM »
here in ISR a worry is that they might be planning to light some forest fires...
many fires that threaten/damage charedi neighborhoods (in JLM at least) are started by bored young boys who found a book of matches...

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: June 30, 2023, 01:46:49 AM »
Rented my car out on Turo, set a limit of 300 miles a day. The charge for the actual miles driven comes out to $63. Turo is asking for a picture I took of odometer pre-trip to prove the mileage. I photoshopped the mileage changes but then I’m actually not sure if it’s being 100% honest.
He definitely owes me for the mileage , but Turo won’t accept proof from Tesla they need a photo.
Is it ethical to lie and claim that the photoshopped photo was taken right before trip to get money that is rightfully mine without the photo?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: June 30, 2023, 08:49:10 AM »
Rented my car out on Turo, set a limit of 300 miles a day. The charge for the actual miles driven comes out to $63. Turo is asking for a picture I took of odometer pre-trip to prove the mileage. I photoshopped the mileage changes but then I’m actually not sure if it’s being 100% honest.
He definitely owes me for the mileage , but Turo won’t accept proof from Tesla they need a photo.
Is it ethical to lie and claim that the photoshopped photo was taken right before trip to get money that is rightfully mine without the photo?
If the way Tesla keeps track of it is 100% accurate then I don't see any issue with photoshopping the mileage picture.

I do know that people can tell if a photo was photoshopped im not sure if it's easy to do.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: July 17, 2023, 01:40:48 PM »
Thoughts on this?

I’m have a low prescription but have never worn glasses. Every time I visit my optometrist, he tells me that he can give me a prescription if it bother me.

I was shopping for sunglasses, and a friend suggested that if I get prescription sunglasses instead, my insurance will cover it. I checked with insurance, and they do in fact cover it. (It uses up the same limit as regular glasses, but I don’t mind that here.)

Is this ethical to the insurer, and to my employer, whose premiums on our group plan probably increase a tiny bit based on claims? The claim is technically 100% true, I just personally don’t feel the need to wear prescription glasses.

Offline free123cc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: July 17, 2023, 01:41:00 PM »
I want to open a business credit card for a good sign-up bonus (Chase Ink Business Preferred) - however, I have no business, don't sell stuff on eBay, and have no side hustle. Just a plain Joe working a w2 job and not doing anything on the side....is it ethical to open a business card? I have no business!! What about from a halachic standpoint of lying? (I have never opened a business card before)

thanks

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: July 17, 2023, 03:46:54 PM »
Thoughts on this?

I’m have a low prescription but have never worn glasses. Every time I visit my optometrist, he tells me that he can give me a prescription if it bother me.

I was shopping for sunglasses, and a friend suggested that if I get prescription sunglasses instead, my insurance will cover it. I checked with insurance, and they do in fact cover it. (It uses up the same limit as regular glasses, but I don’t mind that here.)

Is this ethical to the insurer, and to my employer, whose premiums on our group plan probably increase a tiny bit based on claims? The claim is technically 100% true, I just personally don’t feel the need to wear prescription glasses.
I think it's fine.
Although I remember hearing that wearing prescription glasses eventually causes your prescription to go higher. I don't know if that's true though.
I personally can confirm that when I take off my glasses, for the first hour or so my vision is very bad. Then it slowly becomes a bit clearer.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: July 17, 2023, 04:36:15 PM »

Although I remember hearing that wearing prescription glasses eventually causes your prescription to go higher. I don't know if that's true though.
I personally can confirm that when I take off my glasses, for the first hour or so my vision is very bad. Then it slowly becomes a bit clearer.
Complete bunk

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: July 18, 2023, 11:41:25 AM »
Thoughts on this?

Taking it from a different angle, perhaps insurance should be paying for sunglasses, even if you don't have a prescription, since there is an element of preventive care.
Practically, they don't, but in at least the core concept, it makes sense to be fine

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: July 18, 2023, 08:46:47 PM »
I want to open a business credit card for a good sign-up bonus (Chase Ink Business Preferred) - however, I have no business, don't sell stuff on eBay, and have no side hustle. Just a plain Joe working a w2 job and not doing anything on the side....is it ethical to open a business card? I have no business!! What about from a halachic standpoint of lying? (I have never opened a business card before)

thanks

anyone?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: July 18, 2023, 08:56:29 PM »
anyone?
I am willing to be your first customer in a business related to offering advice, but only if you give a period of free service to new customers.

Viola, and that's your business. Nowhere does it say that it has to be cash-flow positive at this point.

Here's my first question for your new consulting business: Who is more talented, Abie Rotenberg or anyone else? (Caution, there is only one right answer to this question. And if you mess up at this point, your business may be over before it even starts...)

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: July 18, 2023, 08:59:41 PM »
I am willing to be your first customer in a business related to offering advice, but only if you give a period of free service to new customers.

Viola, and that's your business. Nowhere does it say that it has to be cash-flow positive at this point.

Here's my first question for your new consulting business: Who is more talented, Abie Rotenberg or anyone else? (Caution, there is only one right answer to this question. And if you mess up at this point, your business may be over before it even starts...)
My consulting business specializes in unsolicited advice. Here's your free trial: voila, not viola
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: July 18, 2023, 09:36:00 PM »

this is actually very funny.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: July 18, 2023, 09:58:36 PM »
this is actually very funny.
Aha, so I think your first business should actually be in politics. You skirted directly answering the question but at the same time made the questioner feel valued.

free123cc for president 2024!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: July 18, 2023, 10:27:53 PM »
My consulting business specializes in unsolicited advice. Here's your free trial: voila, not viola
ALOL!

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: July 18, 2023, 10:29:36 PM »
Aha, so I think your first business should actually be in politics. You skirted directly answering the question but at the same time made the questioner feel valued.

free123cc for president 2024!
Well, politics are certainly not ethical

Online mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2857 on: July 19, 2023, 05:48:32 AM »
Well, politics are certainly not ethical
Gene Weingarten polled just this morning regarding the value of honest and integrity in a president. The poll is still running but when comparing honesty and integrity to the rest of these:
Historians typically rank the performance of presidents via these criteria: Decisiveness / Critical Thinking / Communication / Honesty & Integrity / Empathy & Compassion / Crisis Management / Courage / Vision for the Future.

The results are (373 votes): 35% 1st (most impt), 26% 2, 18% 3, 13% 4, 9% 5. (I would post a pic but the last pics I posted from Weingarten got removed from the filehost.)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: July 20, 2023, 08:08:37 PM »

Usually good advice is none of your business!

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: July 24, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »
Last month, when flying for work, my flight got canceled, and I had to stay another night. I included the extra night in my expense report, and of course I got reimbursed,  as I should. Afterward, I realized I could submit a complaint to united, so I did and I showed the hotel invoice as support, asking for reimbursement from united. I was expecting no more than a few thousand miles as a courtesy.  But now they say they're going to send me a check for the cost of that night at the hotel.

Do I keep the money or somehow give it back to my company (no idea how - my boss will think I'm crazy).