Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556246 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #860 on: April 21, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
I think the onus is on you to start a thread what are ethics...
No need for a new thread.

eth·i·cal
1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

If you want to make this about religion, please name one major religion that would approve of what goes on here or any deals/miles/points/finance forum?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #861 on: April 21, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
No need for a new thread.

eth·i·cal
1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

If you want to make this about religion, please name one major religion that would approve of what goes on here or any deals/miles/points/finance forum?
I am honestly lost. Those 2 definitions fit just fine in regards to the fact that religion defines morality.

And not sure if you realized but throughout this thread people have been debating whether their religion allows what goes on here or not...

We may be agreeing here you just don't know it. i.e. You are missing the point of view from where people are coming from in this thread, who believe ethics and their religion are one and the same.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 21, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
I am honestly lost. Those 2 definitions fit just fine in regards to the fact that religion defines morality.

And not sure if you realized but throughout this thread people have been debating whether their religion allows what goes on here or not...
I think we spent 10-20 pages on this before. In your eyes religion defines morality. What about someone that has no religion? Ethics and religion are not the same.

On your second point they can debate all they want. What religion says it is OK to lie about your income on an app just to get a bonus? Or pretend you have a business to just get the bonus?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:36:18 PM by CountValentine »

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 21, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
You are missing the point of view from where people are coming from in this thread, who believe ethics and their religion are one and the same.
Then they are in the wrong thread. This thread is to discuss the ethics of a deal so it does not happen in every thread.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #864 on: April 21, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
In your eyes religion defines morality. What about someone that has no religion? Ethics and religion are not the same.
That is a very poor logic line. It is like saying "You believe the wall is white. What about people that don't believe the wall is white? The wall is not white."

I believe ethics is the same as religion because my religion defines my ethics. To someone with out religion, religion does not define his ethics. Therefore to some people Ethics and religion are the same thing and to others they are not the same thing.

Logical reasoning 101 :P

(Let's do one step at a time. If you do agree ethics and religion are the same for me and many on here you can feel free to ask what everyone's opinion about the CC application scenario is...)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:46:01 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #865 on: April 21, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
Quote from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics#Defining_ethics
According to Tomas Paul and Linda Elder of the Foundation for Critical Thinking, "most people confuse ethics with behaving in accordance with social conventions, religious beliefs, and the law", and don't treat ethics as a stand-alone concept.[2] Paul and Elder define ethics as "a set of concepts and principles that guide us in determining what behavior helps or harms sentient creatures".[2] The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy states that the word ethics is "commonly used interchangeably with 'morality' ... and sometimes it is used more narrowly to mean the moral principles of a particular tradition, group, or individual."[3]

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 21, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »
(Let's do one step at a time. If you do agree ethics and religion are the same for me and many on here you can feel free to ask what everyone's opinion about the CC application scenario is...)
I don't agree.  :)

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 21, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
If you do agree ethics and religion are the same for me and many on here
I don't agree.  :)
Excuse me for budding in, but jj1000's assertion is not a matter of opinion. He and others are stating that for them, ethics and religion are one and the same (since their religion defines their ethics). Replying that you don't agree is like saying you don't agree that my favorite color is purple.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #868 on: April 21, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »

"Paul and Elder define ethics as "a set of concepts and principles that guide us in determining what behavior helps or harms sentient creatures"."

Which is, of course, ludicrous and begs the question.

How the hell does one create a set of concepts and principles that is inherently amorphous and ambiguous from generation to generation?

Perhaps those who think the above have no issue with ethics being fundamentally dynamic, or perhaps its my own upbringing that compels the conclusion that ethics/morals should be unchanging and static?

Yes, some things are "clearly" ethical/unethical, but a large portion of the calculus is necessarily spent in "the gray" without clearly being on one side or the other.

What then? By what barometer do we judge? By what litmus test to we determine "ethical-ness" or the lack thereof?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 21, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
What about saying Religion and ethics are not the same but you define and choose your ethic beliefs according to your religious beliefs?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 21, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
What about saying Religion and ethics are not the same but you define and choose your ethic beliefs according to your religious beliefs?
that's playing semantics. if your ethics are defined by your religion, that is what is meant by "ethics and religion are one and the same"

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 21, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
I am sure that is how most here look at it. Now how about someone who does not believe in religion? Can't he/she have ethics?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 21, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
that's playing semantics. if your ethics are defined by your religion, that is what is meant by "ethics and religion are one and the same"
That is like saying if someone has no religion they have no ethics.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 21, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »
I am sure that is how most here look at it. Now how about someone who does not believe in religion? Can't he/she have ethics?
In their opinion they do. In my opinion they may be right on somethings and wrong on others.

They have ethics, I just won't agree with many of said ethics. Many villains in out history had ethics, I just don't agree with them...

For example if someone says killing all Jews is the most ethical thing to do because it will save the world from an evil, then they think that is ethical and they do in fact have ethics. I just don't agree with their ethics.

I do believe killing Amalekaits is ethical though.

Catching my drift at all?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:20:33 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #874 on: April 21, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
The way I understand things are as follows: Ethics are inherently subjective, they are what 'feels' right and what 'feels' wrong. Every person's ethics are shaped by many things, his upbringing, his religion, the society in which he lives, the books he reads and the movies he watches etc. etc.

Now wake me up in 10 pages when jj1000 and CV are done 8)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 21, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
The way I understand things are as follows: Ethics are inherently subjective, they are what 'feels' right and what 'feels' wrong. Every person's ethics are shaped by many things, his upbringing, his religion, the society in which he lives, the books he reads and the movies he watches etc. etc.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 21, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »
I do believe killing Amalekaits is ethical though.

Catching my drift at all?
Not sure, is this just an example?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 21, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
Not sure, is this just an example?
Yes, one example of many things I think are ethical that others in the world would disagree with.

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 21, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »
Huh?
Please explain how what I said logically leads to your conclusion.
Anyone can have ethics and they can choose to define their ethics using whatever means they wish. My assertion was that for those who define their ethics by their religion, it can be said that for them, "ethics and religion are one and the same".
I strongly disagree, however, with several posters who imply that ethics is something that passively happens to a person based on their upbringing, etc. If it's not a conscious decision to define ethics via some means or another,  then it ain't ethics. It may be good behavior, good habits, etc. that were learned from one's upbringing etc. But it's not ethics unless it's something you decided to stick to because you feel it's right. Ethics are timeless, behaviors are dynamic.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 21, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Yes, one example of many things I think are ethical that others in the world would disagree with.
Ouch!